Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM

576 posts, read 826,736 times

Advertisements

I'm a CNA and hate my job.I'm going to look for something else to do while I'm in school but
the other job doesn't pay as much as my current job.There will be huge pay cut but I'm single with no kids so I will be able to afford to live on the lower salary. I will miss having extra money in my bank account but the job sucks

Has anyone faced the same dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 11:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,818,175 times
Well, due to my living choices, I happily took a lower paying job, but made up the paycheck with 40 solid hours a week. Plus the other benefits (Sick pay, medical ins and paid holidays)

Before it had been 32, then 40, then 28 and then 33....So, imagine paychecks at 72 hours, then 61, then 66

Now it's 80, 80, 80, 120 (Overtime for 2 weeks), 80, 80

I can PLAN my budget now, knowing full well, the money coming in ahead of time...

What a relief....

Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 AM

780 posts, read 680,799 times
I was offered another job, the exact same position, just a different product. It was less pay, but more room for growth. I wanted to leave my job because I didn't like the drama going on with my workplace at the time. The new job offered me less money and less vacation days. Looking back, it's not even considerably a lot less. After I've written my pros and cons again and again, I realized, I would be losing out more if I left my current job. At that time, I preferred more pay so I can save up faster and pay off my debt. I don't regret that decision.

If I run into the same situation now, I'd pick the lesser pay and less vacation because I've done what I wanted to do and less pay is a sacrifice for a better career positioning.

I say list your pros and cons. Put it on an actual piece of paper (or online) and leave it for a couple of days. After a week, create a new list of pros and cons. Get back to it again in a few days, along with the old list and compare. After looking at your list, compare it to your current priority and go from there.

You have to ask yourself why you hate your job. If it's just the people, you can't guarantee that the next job you get (with less pay) will have better people in it. If it's the actual task that you hate, do you think that your next job will have easier tasks? If it's the field itself, well, I guess you can move to another field and go from there.

If I'm younger, I would suck up a job for the higher pay because my priority needs to be accomplished with a higher pay. You need to figure out what's your priority.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,613,701 times
I returned to a lower grade after having a promotion as a member of management for two years. It saved my life. Sometimes I regret it. But it was the right choice three years ago. Do what you must and have no regrets.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,504,254 times
It really depends on a lot of factors. I would say go for it, but my biggest concern would be that you're still taking a new position that will help you with career progression. This may apply more to younger people, but you don't want to be taking steps back early in your career. Make sure the experience you'll gain from the position, the job title, or the potential for growth will still benefit you in the long run.

There is the stress thing though too. Burnout is a real issue to be mindful of. I would want to remove myself from that situation as quickly as possible because I don't want to deal with the long term effects of it that will ultimately hamper my career.

I'm currently in a situation where I'm considering taking a lower paying job because of commute times and gas expenses. I currently commute 2 hours per day and spend $100+ a month on gas. I did the analysis and realized that if I found a position close to home I could take a much lower wage and still come out even. Look at the big picture and keep the future in mind.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:56 PM

6,598 posts, read 11,333,747 times
I left a job I didn't even hate for another that paid much less. All for a better opportunity. Which worked out for me.

I do think you need to try and look at your situation objectively (as hard as that can be). At this point, you have such disdain for your job, you may not be considering all factors. This isn't to say your best option is to stay, but we often get tunnel vision when we're stressed. And that can lead one to make bad decisions.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,775,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I'm a CNA and hate my job.I'm going to look for something else to do while I'm in school but
the other job doesn't pay as much as my current job.There will be huge pay cut but I'm single with no kids so I will be able to afford to live on the lower salary. I will miss having extra money in my bank account but the job sucks

Has anyone faced the same dilemma?
I am an engineer and I DESPISE my job.
It got to the point that it triggered the OCD potential in me per the therapist analysis. My days have been filled with anxiety and panic attacks at work. Enough is enough.

I am planning to go back to school for MBA.
I honestly do not know how much I will make after I graduate. Not to mention, the one and a half year I will be with no full-time income. (Might work in a retail as part timer or something).

Anytime I am thinking the possibility of being "poor", I keep reminding myself that anxiety free days is much more valuable than money.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,613,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I am an engineer and I DESPISE my job.
It got to the point that it triggered the OCD potential in me per the therapist analysis. My days have been filled with anxiety and panic attacks at work. Enough is enough.

I am planning to go back to school for MBA.
I honestly do not know how much I will make after I graduate. Not to mention, the one and a half year I will be with no full-time income. (Might work in a retail as part timer or something).

Anytime I am thinking the possibility of being "poor", I keep reminding myself that anxiety free days is much more valuable than money.
I pray that you will find peace and make the right choice.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,039,002 times
Yes. Many years ago I quit a good paying job with security because I dreaded going in each day. I took a job closer to home where I need not take the subway twice a day. I dreaded both the job and the subway. I missed the money of course, but was much happier and at peace with the world.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:07 PM

679 posts, read 814,819 times
Absolutely, life is too short to do something you hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment