Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 PM

4,808 posts, read 3,533,544 times

Advertisements

If you have , what did you do and now what do you do?
What were the reasons you left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,600,724 times
does it count if I just went from working 5 days a week to 4 days a week to 3 days a week? I got paid less since I ended up working 3-12s for a 36 hour/week but base pay was the same. The reason is that I worked 3 days a week and got 4 days off is why I switch jobs. When I schedule it right, I work 6 days straight then have 8 off for "longer" vacations instead of the weekly mini ones. Though last year I worked an extra day each pay check (twice a month) and made about $8k for the year so I got more money than the other 40/hour people.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,338,926 times
I always pick my desirable geographical location first, then adjust my career/job/lifestyle accordingly. I have taken huge pay cuts doing this but have lived in some pretty cool places and been much happier.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,437,455 times
I've thought about it. I make six figures in I.T. but I'd take a pay cut if I could have a job where I was happy. And where I would not be pestered in the evenings or on weekends.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,837,883 times
I have done it. A few years ago I had back to back jobs that were toxic as hell. I was stressed and unhappy. I decided I needed a break from the corporate world and took a job with half the pay. It was great to have a job with less stress, easy going and a good group of people. I was able to get my head my head on straight and went back to a new company that I love.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,751,523 times
I made such a move about twenty years ago. I had gone just about as far as I could go in my first career and it was beginning to grind me down, turn me into an unfeeling, mechanical automaton, traveling the world in the interest of earning money rather than building a life with my family and community. So my change was more than just a change in job with a big cut in pay - it was a change in life - a second career that allowed me to live as a human, establish and support moral values, and as a result live a happier life.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:08 AM

6,609 posts, read 11,367,472 times
I took a 30% pay cut to come to my current job. It was more for the long term opportunities than to get away from a bad job. In fact, I loved the company/people I worked with at my last job. But the sector they were in was changing (Gov. Consulting) and I wasn't sure I could see myself continuing in for the long haul.

And the pay cut was just in take home pay. When adding the benefits etc. The total cut to my compensation package was a bit less less. And it would actually be offset (total compensation wise) after two years given then incentive package the new job provides. Not counting any merit increases/promotions. Which I did receive - so it all worked out.

Chasing opportunities will often pan out better than just chasing money - IMO.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:13 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,601,725 times
I did, but not by choice -- I was laid off and couldn't find anything else. It was a 40% pay cut.

What I like -- much less stress and responsibility. It's a lower position in the same field, so I'm very confident in my skills at this level. Since it's a contract position, I can't put in extra hours without approval -- it's a joy to leave after 8 hours with no guilt! Never have to check voicemail/email on nights/weekends/vacations.

It is an ongoing adjustment, though, to the cut in pay. What I earn just keeps up with the routine bills.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,816,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've thought about it. I make six figures in I.T. but I'd take a pay cut if I could have a job where I was happy. And where I would not be pestered in the evenings or on weekends.
I'm in the same "thinking about it" boat. I likely won't act on it for a long time; the pay cut would be TOO significant, I fear. Rather, I'd hope to save enough money between now, and a time where I could "retire" and then start working at a job I enjoy more.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,509,080 times
I think a lot of people would do this, at least if they had the chance to experience what it was like to make lots of money but be miserable at work.

I worked a remote job (from home), which I know is many people's dream, but it was terrible for me. I felt like my home became a prison and I could never fully focus on either work on home life. I got terrible depression and anxiety. Anyway, I was MAKING a lot for only being in my mid twenties... I was also living in a very low cost of living area, so I was banking so much of my earnings...

Long story short, the cash was rolling in, but I was miserable. I'm now making like 75% less and fairly happy because I don't hate my job. I don't love it either, but it's a good balance of ups and downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment