Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 PM

83 posts, read 65,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If this were a fair, there'd be a carousel and cotton candy.

It is optional, as are promotions, raises, and other flexibility and perks.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out. It's pretty basic. I agree, a work life balance is important. At the same time you spend more of your waking day with the people you work with than your family, so why wouldn't you want to put any work into that relationship?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Of course she does. You're the face of the company. Why aren't you?

Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to leave.
Well no but I thought I was outgoing. I think she just wants to be a clone of the last person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 02:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,471,898 times
Quote:
That's your department. Obviously, bubbly is expected in this one.
I'd die if a requirement for my job was a bubbly personality. Thank god I'm in technology. (I'm female and decidedly un-bubbly.)

1,637 posts, read 1,355,680 times
Quote:
No, YOU don't want the job. There are plenty of us that would want that job. I think it's great when folks ask that question. It shows the company where your priorities lie. And most companies expect you to be there to do a job. Yes, balance is important, but that's not their priority. Kind of like how you don't ask about vacation days during an initial interview.

And there's nothing wrong with a work life balance. I have that now with my current job. I can take appointments during the day if I need to, come in late because of doctor's appointments, or go home to check on a sick animal. But I didn't ask about doing those things during an interview, and I didn't expect to do those things in the first 30 days of employment.

But now, after 5 years of working here, my boss knows that if I need to, I will stay late or come in early. I will come in on weekends, and work from home. In return, I can leave early or come in late if I need to.
Some people would not mind the job but what you also want to realize is someone of want a job where we are happy and we are left with spending time with family and friends.
For the people who are unemployed and have no choice sure go ahead.

But for people who are employed, yea we want to make sure we at least work for a company that has a good decent work environment and has managers that treat their employees like a human being.
Some of us do actually care what kind of managers or work environment we will be working for.

17,422 posts, read 12,055,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
It's not that she wants to leave, she wants to leave her Bi Polar Manager
No, she's creating situations to justify the fact that she doesn't like her job. We're hearing one side of the story, and now we've diagnosed her manager as Bi Polar?

Old 05-25-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No, she's creating situations to justify the fact that she doesn't like her job. We're hearing one side of the story, and now we've diagnosed her manager as Bi Polar?
Well no one is forcing the OP to stay at the company.
She is free to leave or stay no matter what is justified.

She seems to complain about her manager so much more than her job.
Some people do like their jobs just not their managers

Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I actually do like the job. I just don't like being treated poorly, micromanaged and made to feel bad about myself. No amount of money is worth this.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:19 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,726,562 times
It really seems like after reading all these statements that the OP may just be a difficult person to work with. There have been multitudes of excuses as to why the cards were stacked against her, but very little shown by effort on her part to work with the company. OP, I'm sorry to say but if this same attitude carries into future employment the outcome may be similar to what you have going on now. I'm beginning to think it's more your chosen perception of the manager and the company than actually an issue with the company itself.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:24 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,726,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
This is not a matter of job performance
Its a matter of work schedule flexibility.

In this instance, the two are co-mingled. If you are new in a position the company has no way to tell if you are going to be a top performer, or an under-performer. Probationary periods are used to evaluate an employee to tell if they are going to be a good fit for the company. During that period you should make every effort possible to be on time or early every day and do whatever you can to show that company that hiring you was the right decision. That means rescheduling appointments (unless specifically discussed and acknowledged before hiring), coming in early, working late, or whatever it takes to get the job done.

Once you have proven yourself to the company as a valuable employee you'll find that flexibility that you're looking for. It's worth it to the company to keep a top performer if it means letting them leave early, or come in late on occasion. But if you consistently deny requests to work when others need you the company is going to quickly begin to question what value one will add to them. They have no past history to evaluate you on. Only your present actions.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
sounds like you aren't very flexible in working with them either...

a once off thing and you complain? If you are going to enforce the 8-4:30m then expect them to enforce every little rule in the book, one step over a line and they get something to catch you on. Part of working is to know when to give a little and the employer will too. I wouldn't want to be watched so closely at work that I had to clock in and out at exactly 30 minutes for lunch, to be monitored while I worked, to have no "autonomy" at work or "down time"... that's what sticking to the rules means, so when you try to stick to 8-4:30, think about each and every thing you do at work. You will stick out as not being easy to work with, so everyone including peers will hold you to the rules, even when they don't follow it strictly, they aren't up for evaluation you would be.
LOL I kinda am guility of this sometimes
Everyone at my office are strict clock watchers.
No one really cares but some environments will care
Once that clock hits 5:00 everyone goes home
Welcome to working for the government.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It really seems like after reading all these statements that the OP may just be a difficult person to work with. There have been multitudes of excuses as to why the cards were stacked against her, but very little shown by effort on her part to work with the company. OP, I'm sorry to say but if this same attitude carries into future employment the outcome may be similar to what you have going on now. I'm beginning to think it's more your chosen perception of the manager and the company than actually an issue with the company itself.
So being watched to make sure I'm going to use the restroom or to lunch is normal to you? Being told staying at an event was optional and then be judged for not being able to stay is normal? Being told "People expect you to be like the last receptionist" is normal? Walking past my desk 25 times a day to see what I'm doing is normal?

I have done everything asked of me efficiently and complaint free other then these two times I wrote about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment