Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 PM

213 posts, read 205,288 times

Advertisements

At least ... what is the best behavior strategy for surviving a job with an abhorrent supervisor? I want to switch departments so badly I could cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,757,012 times
Quit and find another job, simple.

Your supervisor must be quite bad. You already created one thread discussing her

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-disaster.html

And, of course, you DID get the memo that HR is never your friend?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:02 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,028,094 times
I would try to be social with the supervisor which is a little small talk before the day starts and ask how was the supervisor weekend. It's possible your work relationship will improve if you continue to have small talk at the beginning of the day.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,936,438 times
You said you worked in a grocery store right? Working in grocery I had a lot of bad supervisors (the vast majority) As long as you stand up for yourself and do your job you have not much to worry about.

Of course it depends on the company, but the HR at the place I worked was quite effective. If you filed an issue they would call the store the next day and it would generally be dealt with, because management was afraid of HR at that particular company. Once our store management was claiming they could require us to pack out so many items per hour. A quick call to HR told us there is no such requirement, other than showing up on time and working. They would threaten us all the time but would do nothing because HR would simply throw any write-ups out.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:20 AM

All of my other supervisors are decent. I couldn't sleep due to this and ended up reading this article. It is uncanny how much this article describes her;

Serial Bully

Old 03-26-2016, 03:18 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,760,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Your supervisor must be quite bad. You already created one thread discussing her

All of OP posts are about the Grocery store. From bad Supervisor to coworkers. Are you sure its not you..?

Old 03-26-2016, 03:52 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,047,419 times
Who said anything about sabotage?

Old 03-26-2016, 05:22 AM

29,531 posts, read 22,757,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
All of OP posts are about the Grocery store. From bad Supervisor to coworkers. Are you sure its not you..?
Interesting.

And to think I got a warning for accidentally creating a thread that duplicated a previous thread I created. Different rules for different people I guess.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

That thread isn't about her. It's about my financial situation. I wrote about her there because I didn't want to make another thread about this store at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I'm sure. She switches from treating as the best employee she has ever seen (awarding me money, praising me to customers and others) to treating me like filth. At first it was for no discernible reason, as even though I know something was off about her I quickly became one her "favorites". After becoming aware of my financial situation it's like something woke up in her and she realized that I was a human being too and she started to treat me decently until Thursday. She was her original friendly, quirky self during the morning with big smiles and calling me pet names. Then she decided I needed to move the break-room tables around. The head manager caught her telling me to do this and their convo went like this; "What are you doing?" *Long pause* "Moving these tables." "Why? I mean they've always been over there." "Fine! Forget it!" *gets huffy and starts making a bee-line for the stairs* "Uh, I don't mind that you are doing it, I just want to know why." "Forget it!" *glares at him as she leaves* I knew that she was going to be a pain in the ass for the rest of the day and almost immediately after that she called me down to try to reprimand me about something trivial. That's what she does.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM

732 posts, read 971,801 times
I have worked over thirty years. One truly monster of a boss/manager once. Not a whole lot you can do outside leaving and finding another position is the sad and unfortunate reality. There are some people who went into management because they get to try and crush and hurt people, there are some out there like that. You gotta avoid them is all you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment