Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,822,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan666 View Post
At least ... what is the best behavior strategy for surviving a job with an abhorrent supervisor? I want to switch departments so badly I could cry.
I'd look for another job. Hit men cost $10K for a hit now a days....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 11:18 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,425,925 times
had a super that was dirty, he was crooked, did illegal dealing, dope head, care about nothing but money and him. Typical alpha male.

so I got fired 12 times in one day, the last ten i deserved. It finally blew up one day, he parked his truck illegal at the back door, you walk outside and hit the truck, then you had to walk twenty feet around it.

so empting the trash I trip and hit his truck, put a dent in the door, so i got fired.

since i was fired and he was crooked, I just started picking up concrete blocks and started carving in the door. I destroyed that door window,mirror. Finally after the cops arrive, I got to tell the story of how crooked he was, his drug dealing, under the table dealing. That was 1992. next week I celebrated my 33 years with the same company, still there

Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,776,491 times
Find another job.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:09 PM

429 posts, read 391,853 times
If you can't get him/her fired, then you must find another job and leave.

Of course some are Machiavellian enough to get her fired. Or...set up to be fired. That's for another thread.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:42 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,029,328 times
Hopefully improve the relationship between you and your supervisor because I can only imagine how awful it is to go to a job everyday and not like your supervisor.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,497,316 times
Quote:
At least ... what is the best behavior strategy for surviving a job with an abhorrent supervisor? I want to switch departments so badly I could cry.
Please first describe why the supervisor is "abhorrent".

Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 PM

213 posts, read 205,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Please first describe why the supervisor is "abhorrent".
It's going to be a long read:

She uses the 'come hither' gesture with her index finger accompanied by "Come here!" to motion me over. She rolls her eyes, gives death glares, sighs loudly, mutters nasty comments under her breath or grunt "Oh come on!" at the slightest provocation in front of customers (e.g; Me and her pressed the button that makes the belt go/pause at the same time multiple times through out the day. An every day occurrence that normally garners a swift chuckle. Instead she gave me ugly looks and muttered things under her breath). She uses the threat of being "written up" as a motivator.

She goes out of her way to nitpick and reprimand me for anything and everything, whether it be an honest (rookie) mistake or common clumsiness (e.g; She tasked me with emptying the waste baskets under the check-stands. I grabbed some plastic bags and started with hers. I accidentally knocked over a roll of paper towels. I quickly put it back and turned to attend to the trash can but not before she hissed "Oh come on! Hurry up!"). She actually expresses disappointment if she can't find me in the wrong about something.

She often stays up front (up-front = where the check-stands are), operating a register. For a time I could not leave her sight for a second before she started calling my name over the radio and claiming that I was "wandering" around the store. If I went to another check-stand to bag a customers groceries she called me over the radio and then after realizing that I was still indeed "upfront" proceeded to reprimand me for not being upfront enough. If I went to collect the hand-held baskets (a part of our job description) she would call me and say I "disappeared". If she sent me to do a price check or find something for a customer she would call me seconds after and complain that I wasn't bagging "Where were you?!". One time she called my name over the radio while I was actually bagging at her check-stand. It finally stopped when one of the senior checkers spun around and said "He has been bagging upfront the whole time!" to which she quietly replied "Well...I didn't see him." One day she demanded to know where I was at all times. This meant that I had to notify her when I was going to use the restroom in front of customers. I just told her that I was going to "clean the bathrooms" when I had to go, so she wouldn't call me over the radio or reprimand me.

She has unreasonable expectations. She expects everything to get done instantly, all the while giving me five different random, often vague and idiotic, tasks that are all supposed to be done "RIGHT NOW!". While I'm not one to complain about keeping busy, I feel like she always singles me out to do tasks (whatever they were) and not any of the other 3 baggers. I am often one person doing the tasks that 2 people could be doing with my scheduled sweeps (sweep, cart retrieval and cleaning the bathrooms) on top of that. Then she reacts with surprise or disappointment when I am late on my sweeps. Don't bother trying to explain this to her cause she goes "No, no, no!"

Sometimes I feel like she calls my name and barks an order just for the sake of barking orders.

I'll never forget the day she asked me to "clean the cooler!". We have these large coolers where we store our frozen/perishable products, the coolers are kept running nonstop of course. Its floor is covered with a thin layer of rock-hard ice. There was nothing to be cleaned so I asked her to tell me what she wanted done specifically, to which she pointed at the ice and said "Clean this!", to which I responded "Are you asking me to melt the ice?". She said yes, and she told me to get hot water and mop it until it melted "And when I come back I don't want to see any ice." Mopping the ice was ineffective, and an alarm went off as the cooler door was open for too long. I asked another supervisor for a way to melt the ice, as well explaining what she had asked me to do, and he went to talk to her for clarification. He came back and told me that it was a misunderstanding, and apparently she only wanted me to mop the floor in front of the cooler. There was nothing wrong with the floor in front of the cooler either, but I mopped it anyway, put a yellow cone in front of it and called it a day. She didn't bother me for the rest of that day for some reason, maybe she felt silly.

Then there is this classy exchange:

Customer: "Uh, I was looking for some frozen raspberry juice. I asked an employee and he told me aisle 8. I went and looked and it wasn't there!"
Checker: "Well, it should be --"
Supervisor: *shoves Checker to the side* "Hi!!! How may I help you?"
Customer: *Repeats*
Supervisor: "Which employee?"
Customer: "Huh? Oh he was just some guy. I don't remember."
Supervisor: "What was his name?"
Customer: "Uh..I dunno he was just some guy. I don't care about that. I just want to know if you guys have frozen raspberry juice."
Supervisor: "Oh." *Walks away*

Then there is a couple of days ago where she denied me my check by pretending I was the Inaudible Man.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:41 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,619,323 times
Okay. This is my only advice because it's the only thing I can imagine a supervisor and/or HR department of any company might be afraid of:

If you are a member of ANY protected class (gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability), tell your supervisor and/or HR that you are aware that you are being bullied and targeted for discriminatory reasons, that you have an attorney, and that you are prepared to sue for a hostile/discriminatory workplace.

That MAY get your supervisor to cool it.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM

213 posts, read 205,576 times
Wouldn't that be dishonest?

Also she is a member of two protected classes.

I'm trying to get a transfer to a different department, but it seems they want me where I am...with her. If I can get the early day shift or night shift I won't have to interact with her much at all. They'll probably nix that too.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:17 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,619,323 times
Quote:
Wouldn't that be dishonest?

Also she is a member of two protected classes.

I'm trying to get a transfer to a different department, but it seems they want me where I am...with her. If I can get the early day shift or night shift I won't have to interact with her much at all. They'll probably nix that too.
It doesn't matter if she is a member of 2 protected classes.

The question is: are YOU a member of any protected class?

If so, use it to protect yourself and to get her to back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment