Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM

91 posts, read 109,849 times

Advertisements

you are being petty reason being if the company got a new pager you still whine that your not getting paid for your time if big if the pager goes off at all the own phone thing is just an excuse man up its your turn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM

35,093 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
The difference is that I also have to silence EVERYTHING on my phone or out will go off constantly.

As for pay by the call, actually yes as I don't have unlimited minutes.
You should be able to allow or prohibit notifications on a per-application basis.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM

275 posts, read 252,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaby View Post
you are being petty reason being if the company got a new pager you still whine that your not getting paid for your time if big if the pager goes off at all the own phone thing is just an excuse man up its your turn
Really? I've had the pager 10+ times and this is the only time I've had issue.

Also, the pager goes off 3-4 times per week.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You should be able to allow or prohibit notifications on a per-application basis.
True. But as I'm required to keep the phone with me close enough to return a call within an hour, I would have to disable everything but the call feature. If the call comes in at 2am, I have to return it by 3am.

And, at that point, I'm paying for a personal phone I can't use for personal as well as not getting paid for the time to deal with the call. And based on last time, not reimbursed if I have overages.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

91 posts, read 109,849 times
see the phones an excuse there ya go because you cant say your not going to do it its part of your job but now I don't want to use my own phone

Old 03-16-2016, 01:20 PM

35,093 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaby View Post
If he is hourly, he's going to be covered by different rules than the salaried staff who normally do this.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:22 PM

406 posts, read 559,808 times
Unless a personal cell phone is something explicitly required for the job (such as a vehicle for transportation), it should be an expectation that the employer provide all tools needed to perform the job.

It may sound petty; however, it really is none of the employer's concern whether you even own a personal cell phone.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:25 PM

406 posts, read 559,808 times
For an example, I'm on-call one week out of the month and have been for the past 7 years. I'm provided with a cell phone, internet service (via wifi hotspot), and a laptop.

I'm not provided with a vehicle in the chance I need to go into the office because that is something required and defined by the terms of my employment. There is a difference.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Unless a personal cell phone is something explicitly required for the job (such as a vehicle for transportation), it should be an expectation that the employer provide all tools needed to perform the job.

It may sound petty; however, it really is none of the employer's concern whether you even own a personal cell phone.
And this is my main issue. I have had no real issue doing this up until now. They provided the pager, i used a Google Voice number to return calls. Fine. Not totally the fairest to me, but whatever.

They are not only expecting me to be on call without pay but also to use my personal phone.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
For an example, I'm on-call one week out of the month and have been for the past 7 years. I'm provided with a cell phone, internet service (via wifi hotspot), and a laptop.

I'm not provided with a vehicle in the chance I need to go into the office because that is something required and defined by the terms of my employment. There is a difference.
All I want is a pager so I can continue to use the phone i pay for as my personal phone. If one of the calls resulted in my having to go to the office, I would clock in to work when I arrived. The vehicle and time to get there would be on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment