Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:52 PM

275 posts, read 253,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I don't understand why they don't provide a company cell phone for the on-call employee to use. I worked for the state of Oregon, and that's how all on call situations were handled.
It's too expensive. This was suggested, and immediately shot down.

So, the new pager is in...nothing else was said, it was turned on and tested...and that was it. So, maybe they are just going to move on.

I am back to where I was...not so annoyed with the on-call pay, mildly annoyed with not getting paid for time worked, and not at all annoyed because I did not have to change a thing on my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,322,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's not allowed where we work; comp time is supposed to be granted by your manager, not automatically taken the following day. People used to get in big trouble for that. One guy (an American) got fired for it last year. (Remember, we're all salaried.)

I really only mentioned it because it kind of flies in the face of the stereotype of south Asian tech workers, i.e. they work really hard and work really long hours. They don't. At least none of the ones I've ever worked with do. They work the same hours as the rest of us, if that.
How do you know they aren't e-mailing or texting a manager to tell them they want to take comp time? Or that they already discussed this with management how to handle it, and they have permission to take comp time when needed. Or maybe management is just considering this a reasonable accommodation that doesn't need permission.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I don't understand why they don't provide a company cell phone for the on-call employee to use. I worked for the state of Oregon, and that's how all on call situations were handled.
The answer is pretty simple. They don't want to pay for it. The same reason they don't want to pay an hourly employee overtime for scheduled on-call. The reason here is greed.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
It's too expensive. This was suggested, and immediately shot down.

So, the new pager is in...nothing else was said, it was turned on and tested...and that was it. So, maybe they are just going to move on.

I am back to where I was...not so annoyed with the on-call pay, mildly annoyed with not getting paid for time worked, and not at all annoyed because I did not have to change a thing on my phone.
It's too expensive for the company who has a signed contract with customers for 24-hour service and to be responded to in one hour, so they let the employees pay for it and work for free. 3-4 times a week, and not getting paid for it, I would be more than mildly annoyed. I'd get another job.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,065,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Unless I was being paid to be on-call, I wouldn't even answer the phone. If it is that important to their business they need to compensate and treat employees properly. I know guys who work for a heating and air-conditioning company, and they are paid to be on-call if they are called or not. The on-call pay is so they make themselves available during the scheduled on-call time. Any company such as the OP works at, which has a required one hour response to customers according to service contracts are charging the customers a premium for that. I work in IT, and if I want service within an hour, or NBD (next business day) the contract is at a very different rate.

Someone in management at this company is giving the employees a bunch of nonsense about this being their duty as if it was a military or law enforcement post. They get suckers to fall for that, when they are just being abusive to the employees.

Just another reason that unions are useful. It would remedy these kind of problems. All the details could be worked out ahead of time for everyone involved. Employer and employee alike.

Last edited by jeffdoorgunner; 03-17-2016 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-18-2016, 12:57 AM

5,490 posts, read 4,524,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaby View Post
its your turn meaning you knew it was coming so now that its your turn now you want to be petty like you said you are the only salary employee if I was the employer I would just fire you and fill the opening with another salary employee pettiness solved and bonus maybe the new guy will have unlimited minutes like the rest of the world and be glad to have the job
By this statement, his employer should join the rest of the world and properly provide work assets for their employees.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,516,731 times
Quote:
How do you know they aren't e-mailing or texting a manager to tell them they want to take comp time? Or that they already discussed this with management how to handle it, and they have permission to take comp time when needed. Or maybe management is just considering this a reasonable accommodation that doesn't need permission.
LOL...because the following morning, our manager asks me "Where's so and so?" I say "Not here." Then someone else might pop up with "they were online last night for an hour or so fixing a problem," boss shrugs, and that's usually the end of it. So yeah, it's painfully unlikely that it's being cleared in advance. Nobody around here asks our boss's permission to do anything. Come late, leave early, work from home, go to the doctor...it's a free for all. Unless you're that one guy who got fired for it last year. He was straight up fired for it. We were told that was the reason, and he told me later that was the reason they gave him.

I'm not saying that you SHOULD have to ask permission to do these things. I certainly don't. However, I do notify my boss when I'm coming late/leaving early/working from home/etc. That way they don't have to ask everyone else, "Hey, where's BigD?" It looks unprofessional IMHO.

There should be a policy that applies to everyone...period. It should be clear.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
LOL...because the following morning, our manager asks me "Where's so and so?" I say "Not here." Then someone else might pop up with "they were online last night for an hour or so fixing a problem," boss shrugs, and that's usually the end of it. So yeah, it's painfully unlikely that it's being cleared in advance. Nobody around here asks our boss's permission to do anything. Come late, leave early, work from home, go to the doctor...it's a free for all. Unless you're that one guy who got fired for it last year. He was straight up fired for it. We were told that was the reason, and he told me later that was the reason they gave him.

I'm not saying that you SHOULD have to ask permission to do these things. I certainly don't. However, I do notify my boss when I'm coming late/leaving early/working from home/etc. That way they don't have to ask everyone else, "Hey, where's BigD?" It looks unprofessional IMHO.

There should be a policy that applies to everyone...period. It should be clear.
Yikes.

So next time the boss comes in and says, "Where's so and so?", answer with, "He quit. Said he went to find a place to work where management follows its own rules". :-)

Old 03-18-2016, 09:50 AM

100 posts, read 119,813 times
I understand where your coming from but at the same time its so petty.
Its 2016 people are still paying per phone call from a cell?
Figure out how to use the settings on your phone to silence the other notifications at night, if there are no settings there's an app
Pick and choose your battles wisely

Old 03-18-2016, 10:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,516,731 times
Quote:
Yikes.

So next time the boss comes in and says, "Where's so and so?", answer with, "He quit. Said he went to find a place to work where management follows its own rules". :-)
We recently got a new manager (other one made a lateral move within the company for reasons unknown) so I'm hoping things will get better.

So far so good, but it hasn't been long yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment