Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:07 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,886 times

Advertisements

Most of the HR folks I've dealt with have been excellent. With that said, I have dealt with some REALLY BAD human resources professionals who were not only rude, but violated many state and federal regulations. Of course, the bad HR people can do that and know that they will not be caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 05:42 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,023,833 times
I've found them to be guarded for the reasons given by others in this thread.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:22 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
My experience has been that these individuals are cold and stiff. I don't know if it's that they were trained to give everyone the side eye? They are just "dry". Is HR this stressful, geesh?
I find the two HR ladies at work to be... just clueless about people psychology. And I also am annoyed that the only people they believe are the managers, and that whatever an hourly worker says they've heard or seen is considered "hearsay".

I consider HR people to be completely useless and they need to go.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:37 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,023,833 times
There is definitely a need for them. They can keep workplaces from turning into zoos, ensure regulatory compliance, manage payroll, and handle some parts of the hiring process. They can also do harm, of course, but that doesn't mean their functions aren't important.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,886 times
Of course, it should be noted that HR degree programs at universities don't usually attract the top students. Let's not kid ourselves, the high school students who are in NHS or are top of their class tend to pursue degrees in a variety of majors, but HR is rarely high on that list. Therefore, HR programs tend to be full if 'ditzy' types. So it may not be that the person is being rude, they may just not be intelligent.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:11 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,006,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
My experience has been that these individuals are cold and stiff. I don't know if it's that they were trained to give everyone the side eye? They are just "dry". Is HR this stressful, geesh?
HR stands for Human Resources. A resource is something you use. So this is a department that specializes in using people. And you expect them to be nice??

Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
People in HR are trained to be impartial and formal with those going to HR. Until they know what your problem is, and what you expect (reasons people go to HR) they are not going to outgoing and super friendly. If you are making a complaint, they are going to be formal, as they are not to take sides till they hear both sides. When you go to HR they never know what you are there for, until they know what is on your mind or your purpose to be there.

The same goes for the accounting department, and upper managers.

While there may be some who are, my experience is they have no training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywherebutheregirl View Post
It's because they don't want to give you the impression that you're "friends." It puts them in a hard spot when they need to process things they themselves may not like - 15 years in HR speaking here - it's not easy seeing your "friends" get passed up for the higher raise, seeing negative comments on their reviews, etc. not to mention, if your friend does get a promotion and others accuse management of favoritism. Too many things to list but the overall feeling every night is wrecked, drained, torn and conflicted.
So some's strategy is to act like an old school Marm
"Best to process and remember who you work for"

It's actually better for you that way. If you open up and start venting about your work, coworkers, supervisor, like you would with a peer, then upper management comes around and perhaps asks about you - wouldn't you rather their experience with you be professional only?
Because they save the favoritism for their real friends. I've seen it as a hiring manager where they use their position to give insider information to friends and help their friends get promotions and transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment