Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:17 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,533,733 times

Advertisements

Like others have suggested, you need to get a second job to help with your immediate needs. Also, your sister needs to find a real job.

But most importantly, you need to get to get some marketable skills. If you just keep looking for little jobs here and there, you are likely to be struggling financially for the rest of your life.

Go to your local community college and speak to a counselor so you can get some guidance. There are lots of good careers that you can get into with an associate's degree. You need to get a degree in something practical that will start paying you a good income right away, like nursing, respiratory therapy, radiologic technology, dental hygiene, fire protection technology, culinary arts, computer network technology, automotive technology, hospitality management, and other fields where your training should open up doors for you quickly.

Or, you can go to a trade school and learn things like auto mechanics, electrician, locksmithing, etc.

Your main focus needs to be on getting trained for a solid career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 392,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan666 View Post
Just to be clear, I cannot resign from the union or purposefully not pay dues without losing my job. California is not a right-to-work state.
California is a right to state, that means you can quit at any time for any reason. No you can;t opt out of paying greedy unions but you can leave the job (for another one).

Old 03-16-2016, 11:41 AM

455 posts, read 392,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
I could be naive, but I just don't get it.
I work for a company that has been looking for computer engineers overseas to fill good paying jobs. I'm talking $100k a year. What types of career advice do people get, to find themselves in situations like yours? This has always puzzled me.
I understand you are in a crunch now and need a solution right away, but what are your long term plans to get out of this mess? do you see yourself doing this 2, 5, 10 years from now? You won't survive pinching pennies every week.
You need a long term plan.
Sadly so many people don;t have options or support. It's not as easy for some folks to get out of their caste. I was lucky but it meant I had to leave some family behind because "who was I to think I could do better in life than them?" Without a good support system this can be impossible. Hopefully OP is using CD as that support system to get himself out of where he is and into something better, but sounds like their are some challenges that are a little harder than just going back to school.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:50 AM

964 posts, read 1,004,372 times
You're in an emergency situation right now. Picking up a couple of extra hours at work won't resolve the problem. You need to get out on the street and look for an additional job. Go to restaurants (what's this about an unusual appearance?), try for a sign-waving job (you have experience!), detailing cars, anything.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:02 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,532,242 times
Either the sister has a business or she does not. If she has a business and only has a few clients then she has a hobby. She needs to be hustling work. She needs to spend her time building a business. If she can not do that then hang it up and get a JOB.

OP, You need to find another job as well. Try Labor Ready or some other agency. Also you can many times find small giggs on Craigslist or other sites.

Realize that you are not responsible for your sister or your dad. You have to be true to yourself. You need to make sure that the bills are paid. When I was younger I worked three jobs. One tossing papers, a second in a convienence store, and a third at a yogurt shop. This was before I had a wife and kids. Sometimes you do what you have to do.

As far as your personallity, change it. Look to someone that you want to be like and mirror them, act like them, become them. Always nice to choose a successful person to mirror. If you can, get to know them, let them mentor you.

Here is what I tell everyone. Sit down and envision the life you want to have. Act as though you are already living that life. The kind of house you own, car you drive, personallity you have, everything to the last detail. Nothing is imposible. Realize that anything you can imagine someone else is already living that life. Anything is possible. We are limited by what we can think of. I would take some time to do this. When you are in bed, think of this ideal life. When you wake up go to a quiet place and close your eyes and think of this life. Say to yourself that you have that kind of life now. Realize that 90% of what happens to us happens in our head. If you can change that the other 10% will follow.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 03-16-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 947,664 times
Quote:
Well we get paid 10.10. 40 cents less then what McDonalds employees get paid, but it's pretty good money.
Please say you don't mean that..

Old 03-16-2016, 04:35 PM

5,454 posts, read 3,458,474 times
Unfortunately a lot of folks are in the same position you are.

Credit counseling firms often help with getting some of your bills lowered or stretched to another due date. Generally their service is free. It wouldn't hurt to find out.

Cancel all non-essential services. Ditch TV, Internet, but get a landline and cancel your mobile accounts.
Drastically reduce your food bill. If that means eating packaged Chinese noodles then do it, eggs and toast etc, it is possible to do.

Find another job in addition to the ones you have.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:04 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,066,147 times
How old are you and your sister?

How old is dad?

You are making $100/ wk because your hours were cut to maybe 10 hours a week. Do I have this right?

What's going on the other 198 hours a week?

Is transportation an issue?

Are there no other retail or food service businesses in the area?

How about a hospital- any job to get a foot in the door?

Many grocers are Union shops. After union dues are deducted, new/newer workers often make less than Minimum Wage.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:54 PM

213 posts, read 206,767 times
THANK YOU for all the advice and compassion.

Next months rent -- god willing -- will now be able to be paid; My sister has finally been paid by her evasive client and I got more on my check then I expected. Plus tips and my supervisor awarded me an additional 5 dollars for "exceptional work".

The search for a secondary source of income continues.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:10 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,872,136 times
Quote:
THANK YOU for all the advice and compassion.

Next months rent -- god willing -- will now be able to be paid; My sister has finally been paid by her evasive client and I got more on my check then I expected. Plus tips and my supervisor awarded me an additional 5 dollars for "exceptional work".

The search for a secondary source of income continues.
Excuse me, but I have met union employees who are FORBIDDEN to accept "Tips" of ANY sort. This union is one strange one if they permit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment