Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,778 times

Advertisements

Would very much appreciate some advice. While I have "worked" with this individual for 3 months it's only been in the last 2 weeks that I have had to work with her directly on a project. She always seemed a bit....off, but since having to work with her on a project has the issue come up.

To put it short she has said some pretty racist things. For example while working together on a project she complained how our boss hasn't given her any raises or promotions despite working there over a year, and at one point even said "Well, she's Jewish, do you really expect them to be fair?". Another time (before this) she invited me to a bar with her saying that's where she likes to go to unwind. While we were there (I only had two drinks, she had had 3 beers and two shots of vodka) a white man and an Asian woman came in, and after a few minutes she pointed them out and said "See that couple over there? I really hate that, Asian women taking white men". We are both white btw, but it really surprised me.

She really talks bad about our boss and I do hate how we have to work on the same project together and I can only assume doesn't talk about her racist views much but I know she loves to talk about our boss quite a bit and usually it's about how "horrible" and "greedy" our boss is and how she gets paid so little and it's (according to her) because she is Jewish.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone here had to work with a racist co-worker or the like? I don't go out with her anymore and it's always strictly business but I find it horrible and unnerving and thankfully the project we both work on together is almost finished but man from the things she has said she could be a KKK member!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 01:59 AM

1,485 posts, read 956,843 times
Not allowed to talk about those things here. We have to pretend to ignore the elephant in the room.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:36 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Not allowed to talk about those things here. We have to pretend to ignore the elephant in the room.
What are you talking about? This is America. These things don't happen here.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Before this thread gets locked, I wanted to post this link.

Even though they didn't handle conflict very well on their own campus last year, the University of Missouri has this site that explains several different ways to respond to prejudicial comments.

https://diversity.missouri.edu/learn/speaking-up.php

The bottom line? You can either sit there like a lump and let these comments go unchallenged, or you can SPEAK UP.

It takes guts to call someone out, but if it REALLY bothers you, you need to face the fact that letting it go unchallenged is just giving her a pass to be a jerk.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times
The fact that you let these comments pass multiple times (even going out for a beer with her) makes this not a good situation. I assume you laughed along with her initially when she made these comments, perhaps nervously as you were really taken aback. So in her mind you were OK with these things.

I get it, you seem like one of those that doesn't like direct confrontation and these sort of situations. Thankfully I haven't experienced such things. Anyways not much you can do in my eyes since you let it pass multiple times, and this project is almost over. What can you do, report it after the fact?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,215,760 times
I'd treat it like it never happened. It's her racism, not yours.

Pointing it out could cause trouble for you in ways you could never foresee. The boss may love her and never believe she could say those things. You'd look like a troublemaker, as odd and unbelievable as it may be.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:27 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasoum View Post
Would very much appreciate some advice. While I have "worked" with this individual for 3 months it's only been in the last 2 weeks that I have had to work with her directly on a project. She always seemed a bit....off, but since having to work with her on a project has the issue come up.

To put it short she has said some pretty racist things. For example while working together on a project she complained how our boss hasn't given her any raises or promotions despite working there over a year, and at one point even said "Well, she's Jewish, do you really expect them to be fair?". Another time (before this) she invited me to a bar with her saying that's where she likes to go to unwind. While we were there (I only had two drinks, she had had 3 beers and two shots of vodka) a white man and an Asian woman came in, and after a few minutes she pointed them out and said "See that couple over there? I really hate that, Asian women taking white men". We are both white btw, but it really surprised me.

She really talks bad about our boss and I do hate how we have to work on the same project together and I can only assume doesn't talk about her racist views much but I know she loves to talk about our boss quite a bit and usually it's about how "horrible" and "greedy" our boss is and how she gets paid so little and it's (according to her) because she is Jewish.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone here had to work with a racist co-worker or the like? I don't go out with her anymore and it's always strictly business but I find it horrible and unnerving and thankfully the project we both work on together is almost finished but man from the things she has said she could be a KKK member!
I would really just try and ignore it, but avoid spending any personal time with her. Bringing it up to management without proof is going to make the tension worse. She's bound to let something slip on her own at some point and end up in hot water.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 AM

455 posts, read 389,504 times
Quote:

Ignoring is definitely the wrong thing to do, that just supports the behavior. I wouldn't go running the your boss either just yet.

I suggest you arm yourself with a few quick responses from your bag of tricks the next time she says something nasty.

I don't know if humor would be in order, but you could say somewhat jokingly, "hey racist much?" or "did you miss that diversity training?" It might be enough to slightly shock her into not saying those things to you anymore.

If sarcasm isn't the right approach, you could say "hey, that comment doesn't sit well with me, can you stop."

Or you could act very kind and calm and just say "hey I think that comment was a little racist and it makes me uncomfortable".

After you've addressed it and it continues THEN go talk to your boss. The workplace has no room for this type of conduct.

Not sure why you mentioned the drinking or were even keeping count, that comes off a little judgey and somehow you are better than her. Might want to just stick to what is applicable to the issue otherwise your complaint may be seen as less credible.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Ignoring is definitely the wrong thing to do, that just supports the behavior. I wouldn't go running the your boss either just yet.

I suggest you arm yourself with a few quick responses from your bag of tricks the next time she says something nasty.

I don't know if humor would be in order, but you could say somewhat jokingly, "hey racist much?" or "did you miss that diversity training?" It might be enough to slightly shock her into not saying those things to you anymore.
Her response could be "Oh? Butt hurt much?" (This starts the nasty slide)

Quote:
If sarcasm isn't the right approach, you could say "hey, that comment doesn't sit well with me, can you stop."
"Didn't bother you when I said such at the bar, what got into your craw?"

Quote:
Or you could act very kind and calm and just say "hey I think that comment was a little racist and it makes me uncomfortable".
"There's the door"

Quote:
After you've addressed it and it continues THEN go talk to your boss. The workplace has no room for this type of conduct.
The other side could simply lie and say "Oh, she was saying this and this, I was only joking" Then it may be full on war.

Quote:
Not sure why you mentioned the drinking or were even keeping count, that comes off a little judgey and somehow you are better than her. Might want to just stick to what is applicable to the issue otherwise your complaint may be seen as less credible.
I think the horse has left too long ago for the cart to be hitched...Just my opinion. Trying to shame a racist just makes them madder it seems....

Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

Tell her to shut the f*ck up, that you don't care to hear her racist bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment