Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 PM

817 posts, read 923,099 times

Advertisements

I will just say I don't want to hear that kind of stuff. I would also not blame the OP for the first incident because of shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Before this thread gets locked, I wanted to post this link.

Even though they didn't handle conflict very well on their own campus last year, the University of Missouri has this site that explains several different ways to respond to prejudicial comments.

https://diversity.missouri.edu/learn/speaking-up.php

The bottom line? You can either sit there like a lump and let these comments go unchallenged, or you can SPEAK UP.

It takes guts to call someone out, but if it REALLY bothers you, you need to face the fact that letting it go unchallenged is just giving her a pass to be a jerk.
They left out "let's get some muscle over here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think the OP should recommend to her co-worker that she begin working with the tRump campaign staff. That way, she would be...in her element...and would be able to express her thoughts to people of a like mind. Additionally, that volunteer work might not leave her with enough time or energy to make racist comments while working with the OP.

What makes you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulone828 View Post
Wow, what a horrible person. Along with that story and another anecdote on her as well as another woman I used to know I must say I am surprised how many racist and discriminatory women there are. I thought women were supposed to love and be accepting of everyone? Guess there are more racist and prejudiced women than I thought...
Sarcasm, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:16 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
Well, for one thing, your friend isn't a racist -- she's a bigot, pure and simple. She doesn't indicate that she thinks being white is superior; she just has all sorts of mean opinions about people who are different (different nationalities, different religions, etc.)

I've found that often, the best response to a statement like that is a cold and curt "That hasn't been my experience." One acquaintance pushed me on it, saying, "Oh, you KNOW that (insert obnoxious term here) are always (insert objectionable action or adjective here)" I ended up bursting out laughing, saying, "Omigod, you really aren't kidding, are you? I had no idea that people still thought like that!"

Old 03-15-2016, 11:33 PM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
My coworker is like that too. She would make comments about how all Muslims must be related to ISIS, Islam is hateful and evil, white women shouldn't date black men, etc.

I laugh at her and correct her every time. I would respond with, "Where did you hear that from?" Or give her one of those "did you know" fun facts. She always end the conversation speechless or trying to justify her comments, "I'm just saying! "

Either you confront her or not, the older the generation, the more difficult it is to change their point of view on things. I personally don't mind correcting idiots but if you are the easily frustrated type, I would ignore her and avoid her. People like that are poison to society.

By the way, as an Asian married to a white guy, I'm lovin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
OK, don't care - no one gets away with making racist remarks in front of me, I don't care who they are.

Also all that nonsense along the lines of "you've made your bed ..." is just that, nonsense. Just because you didn't jump down her throat the first time doesn't mean you are now forever doomed to tolerate her foulness.

Just tell her you don't appreciate the remarks, and if she gets snotty about it, roll your eyes and walk away. But do not tolerate her behavior any more.

It sounds like you're already keeping away from her. Other than telling her to zip it and staying away from her, there's not much more you can or should do.
I like these posts above!

Why in the world would you agree to get a drink w/ her after you heard her comments about your boss? You should have probably guessed she's bound to do more racist talk then, especially since it's on her own free time.

I guess she'd really hate me...I'm biracial & in an interracial relationship myself & you know what, I don't give a f***!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
I'm Jewish, but don't have a Jewish last name so I often heard these types of comments (not just about Jews, but other minorities). Straight to HR. Nobody's got time for that kind of toxicity, and I am neither willing to ignore it nor play a game of battling wits to call an inappropriate coworker out.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:05 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,982 times
I would speak up OP. I would tell her straight up that what she's saying is wrong and she needs to step off her podium.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
If your examples are as bad as it gets i would leave it alone. You are not going to change her opinions. Do you enjoy her company otherwise?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm Jewish, but don't have a Jewish last name so I often heard these types of comments (not just about Jews, but other minorities). Straight to HR. Nobody's got time for that kind of toxicity, and I am neither willing to ignore it nor play a game of battling wits to call an inappropriate coworker out.
You're a real *******.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Ignorance is usually because someone hasn't been exposed to that which they don't understand. Harsh words do way less then kind leadership.

John did not understand homosexuality when we were first together decades ago. He thought it was a choice. I told him that I was convinced that it was a genetic code that created homosexuality. I encouraged him to be more understanding by cultivating homosexual friendships and having a dinner party with just the three couples and us. It was so much fun!!! He became close to our homosexual friends and even able to give them a hug when we meet. He's come to view them as just people with a different lifestyle that deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

Your coworker needs to be around the people she puts down and learn to forge a connection with them. Laughter is a great equalizer. Good food helps a lot as well. Especially if it's ethnic

Old 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Tell the person you don't like that kind of talk and then go about your work. Simple enough, no big deal.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You're a real *******.
And yet somehow, I'm not the one who has to insult other people. Use your words.

Let me guess - think we should just "ignore it" right? And when the Jewish boss overhears this coworker **** talking to the OP and they both get fired, what then? Racist, xenophobic speech has no place in the workplace and if someone is a grown up and has not learned that yet, simply being told off by a coworker isn't going to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment