Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:29 PM

74 posts, read 619,636 times

Advertisements

My employer isnt paying me in a timely fashion. It has been 3.5 week since start date and I still have not recieved first pay check. What are my rights? I can't keep working for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
Are other people having this problem? What is your employer's pay schedule? Have you talked to your supervisor/HR department? What did they say? Did anyone explain when you would be paid before you started?

3.5 weeks may not be that bad. At my job the pay period is two weeks long, but the pay check for this pay period comes at the end of next pay period. For example, the pay period was Jan 21-Feb 1. I get the pay check for that pay period on Feb 15th. So, technically its 4 weeks after the first day I worked that pay period. At a previous job we were paid monthly, so if you started on the 1st of the month, you wouldn't see the pay until the end of the month. Or, if its bi-monthly pay (1st & 15th or 15th & 30th), it could be the pay for the 15th-30th of January doesn't get paid out until the 15th of Feb.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
That, and sometimes the employer withholds the first two week's pay (not sure why that's legal). I'd consider finding another job and filing in small claims court before it get's too expensive and your employer becomes hard to find. I'd say your employer is unable to pay as he is a bad manager and won't last long. I had a paycheck bounce once. Took it back and demanded cash. He left the state within the month. It is a good idea to ask before hired, eh? We learn from your problem. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:04 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Are other people having this problem? What is your employer's pay schedule? Have you talked to your supervisor/HR department? What did they say? Did anyone explain when you would be paid before you started?

3.5 weeks may not be that bad. At my job the pay period is two weeks long, but the pay check for this pay period comes at the end of next pay period. For example, the pay period was Jan 21-Feb 1. I get the pay check for that pay period on Feb 15th. So, technically its 4 weeks after the first day I worked that pay period. At a previous job we were paid monthly, so if you started on the 1st of the month, you wouldn't see the pay until the end of the month. Or, if its bi-monthly pay (1st & 15th or 15th & 30th), it could be the pay for the 15th-30th of January doesn't get paid out until the 15th of Feb.

Working for the university, I get paid the 11th of every month. Sooo... if I started on the 15th, it'd be almost a full month before I got paid.

Or, more accurately, if I started on like the 25th (after timecards are due) I'd get paid on the 11th of the month after.

So, just ask where your paycheck is, and if there isn't a good reason (aka, we pay monthly, etc) then think about legal actions.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 107,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxMover View Post
My employer isnt paying me in a timely fashion. It has been 3.5 week since start date and I still have not recieved first pay check. What are my rights? I can't keep working for free.
I am A 16 year Old Girl.. my mom Gets Paid the 21st Of Every Month. And Today As My mom Rang Up the Company Withdrawn Her Wages From The Bank, My mom Has No Money To Get To Work.. We Have No Money For Food Shopping As We Planned I Cannot Go Any Where With No Money, And I Carnt Get My Pocket Money On saturday... What Are My Moms Rights?

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,007 times
To OP try the Dept of Labor in yr state.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
I once worked for a woman who had her own company. She kept pushing off paying me, another week, then another week, soon...it was a month. I said, "I need to get paid."
She said, "Oh, I will pay you, the check is in this drawer" and she patted the drawer. But she didn't get it out and hand it to me. I thought, what's the deal. Most of the day, she was on the phone, and I thought of all my bills at home. She was going to leave early, she said, and go see a client. I reminded her about the check. Still, nothing. I said, I NEED TO BE PAID. Finally, she gets out the check and says, "I was going to pay you." Yeah...I lasted there about 3 weeks. I don't have time for game playing. The check bounced, and she wanted me to call my bank and tell them to cover the bounced checks from my account and the fees. I said, "Why should they?" She was the most manipulative greedy person. See, she didn't have enough money to cover paying me, but she didn't have the balls to tell me that, and instead, let me cash a bad check and I wrote out checks for all my bills and half of those bounced.
After I got a real check, I left.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:07 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
One thing I learned when I worked for this company where the owner was known as a real player. I never deposited my paycheck to my account for that very reason. I went to HIS bank and paid a $5 fee since I didn't have an account there and got the cash, then went to my bank and deposited the cash.

Personally I would tolerate that kind of BS. I work to get paid, thats it. If you can't give me my money then why am I here?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
You should always get clarification on what the pay schedule is for your job. I worked at a place once that only got paid once a month for the entire month. Mom and Pop place and they didn't have enough time to do payroll twice a month. Fine, as long as I know ahead of time and I got my $.
Some places are once a week, (retail) most places every 2 weeks.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
When I went to work for this woman, she told me X, but later did Y. So sometimes, it is very hard to know if someone is going to keep their word, and you sometimes go through the process of finding out.
Most places are every 2 weeks, I agree, and when this woman was balking, she should have told me she didn't have the money to pay me then, instead of playing games with me, and then giving me a bad check. So much trouble can be avoided if someone is honest and upfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment