Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,149,351 times

Advertisements

So I work in sales and left a job at a gym doing membership sales for a well known website. My friend who used to work with me at the gym referred me. I initially started pursuing the job back in May but decided to stick with the gym since I was doing well and on a track to be a manager. Company started doing poorly and my chances of management went up in flames.

So I put back in for the job, went through a long process of interviews, and finally landed the job. I started in November for training. First month was really great, managers were awesome, things seemed pretty sweet like my friend said. Then month two started the micromanaging. Threatening peoples jobs who were having a hard time performing then lying to people when the rumors were getting around.

My manager, not so helpful. It was his second month as a trainee manager. He knows sales, but he wasn't good and providing helpful advice. Unless you were closing, he could care less to talk to you. At the end of the month we find out we are rolling out with him. The team was kinda eh about the decision because we werent not impressed by his style. But we were close as a group so we worked together and had a really great month last month.

At the end of the month I get pulled aside and told I, and only I, will be moved to another team who is a vet manager. I was pretty taken aback because I felt like things were going well. I hit my goal sales wise and I felt like the team was bonding well. He explained it as good for me because its about consistency which he stated I lacked. I accepted it as a good thing going to a manager who has been there longer and helped many reps.

It's been nothing but a nightmare. If she complains about something I do and I defend myself, I'm being negative. I was told when the job started they wanted you only to work 40 hours a week. My manager has a mandatory extra hour every week I have to stay. She has commented that I am the first to leave for lunch (at 12, when we have lunch) and I'm the first to get up at 5:30. I don't mind working late sometimes when a pitch runs long or if thats the only time someone can do it, but I don't like being forced or felt to be not committed if I dont stay.

Now I'm being written up because I havent bonded with my new team to her liking. I'm essentially one step away from being fired because I dont smile enough and am not best friends with people from the team. I don't dislike them, but work is work and I have only known them for around 2 weeks.

I'm frustrated and beaten down. There were complaints on glassdoor about this happening but there was also plenty of good things too. It's a highly unprofessional atmosphere and if you dont drink the kool aid you are looked at like a negative person and you will constantly be hounded by "do you really want to be here"?

Given this, how can I turn it around for the time being while I look for a new job? Also, how bad will it look when I leave a job after 4 months? Before this job I worked a year and a half at the gym, before that I was a stay at home dad for 16 months. I don't want to look like I jump jobs often but I need to get out before they find some way to fire me for not being part of the culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,821,754 times
I'd suggest a chat with a member of the "Unemployment" forum.

Do this BEFORE YOU GET FIRED AS YOU MAY NEED TO BE FIRED TO COLLECT UI.

Believe me, a chat with chyvan will reap great help.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 PM

I won't be able to collect unless I work at least 6 months in the position. I was hoping to make it to 6 months and see if things got better. But it seems they want to put me on the hot seat. What's funny is they didn't make any mention of my job performance because that has been adequate, its the "team" and "culture". I'm not rude, I don't cause problems. I keep to myself for the most part and engage when spoken to and interject if I know an answer.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,196,616 times
Maybe sales isn't for you.

Why don't you try something else.

There probably isn't much you can do about this job. You are a marked man and that is that.

You could put in a Herculean effort, come in early, be the last to leave and improve your closing ratio, but anything short of this and I think you are done.

To be honest, kind of sounds like you don't want to go above and beyond.

Lots of employers tell you all kinds of bs about hours, work life balance etc... But if you are on salary or commission, they don't really mean it and expect more.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I won't be able to collect unless I work at least 6 months in the position. I was hoping to make it to 6 months and see if things got better. But it seems they want to put me on the hot seat. What's funny is they didn't make any mention of my job performance because that has been adequate, its the "team" and "culture". I'm not rude, I don't cause problems. I keep to myself for the most part and engage when spoken to and interject if I know an answer.

OK, let's do this simply.

What state
were you unemployed before this?
How long unemployed/did you exhaust your UI benefits?

Who TOLD you that you had to work 6 months before being eligible?

Not pushing you, but most states have a limit/time for UI.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Maybe sales isn't for you.

Why don't you try something else.

There probably isn't much you can do about this job. You are a marked man and that is that.

You could put in a Herculean effort, come in early, be the last to leave and improve your closing ratio, but anything short of this and I think you are done.

To be honest, kind of sounds like you don't want to go above and beyond.
I have stayed late many times pitching people. But I also have things in my life I have to attend to. I don't like being made to feel badly if I take a full lunch or leave on time. I have exceed goals since I got there in terms of revenue.

That's why I fear is that I'm already marked for termination but my friend was struggling on the production side in training and had a "talk" to improve or be booted and he did what it took. Its just hard when there is no tangible goal besides smile a lot, talk more with the team. Seems insane to me.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
OK, let's do this simply.

What state
were you unemployed before this?
How long unemployed/did you exhaust your UI benefits?

Who TOLD you that you had to work 6 months before being eligible?

Not pushing you, but most states have a limit/time for UI.
NYS

I exhausted all benefits which was i believe 14 months, then went back to work.

I believe I saw it somewhere that I had to work at least 6 months before I'm eligible.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
NYS

I exhausted all benefits which was i believe 14 months, then went back to work.

I believe I saw it somewhere that I had to work at least 6 months before I'm eligible.
OK, I'd still check with the unemployment gurus on that forum....Thanks for the answers.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM

928 posts, read 1,104,740 times
I'm in sales. Every sales job I had my boss micromanaged me and got on my ****ing nerves until I started producing and showing results. If you are still not selling, it will only get worse. A lot of these places are churn and burn until you find a salea job selling B2B with a respectable company and respdctable product.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I'm in sales. Every sales job I had my boss micromanaged me and got on my ****ing nerves until I started producing and showing results. If you are still not selling, it will only get worse. A lot of these places are churn and burn until you find a salea job selling B2B with a respectable company and respdctable product.
I get that sales type of atmosphere, I have had it most of my life. The problem I have is I said hey, I'm doing well, I exceeded revenue goals each month, why am I being singled out for something non related to my performance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment