Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:23 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,808,582 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, I remember what it was like to be young. Carefree, I can do anything, save the world days. All full of pi$$ and vinegar.

I actually have an OK suggestion for you to look into and consider - the field of renewable energy. Yeah, it's a broad brush but it's a brush nonetheless. And one that combines the potential for a decent living and some potential good for humanity (but be warned that even fields that seem to be good for humanity are filled with bad things). Or hey, if you're up for it OP, maybe Medicine.

I remember when I was young and was similar to the OP. Someone once told me that I'll be less interested in saving the whales (or whatever the flavor of the generation is) when I have less free time and learn what the real world is like. OP, I wish you all the luck you can handle towards never running out of free time and never learning about the real world. Go make this a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,657,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesscamille View Post
I'm a junior at UC Berkeley studying environmental related work - specifically, how pollutants affect poor people of color in urban communities. I care about this a lot and find my classes fascinating, but the closer I get to graduating, the more and more confused I am. I really need some advice.

I am so scared of being stuck in a 9-5 job in an office with no fresh air. I am a mover, always have been. I want to be on my feet all day, but I am also scared of a career that isn't financially stable. I am a runner and backpacker, rock climber, and martial artist (jiu jitsu). In my free time I also teach self defense classes to survivors of sexual assault.

Through my internships at non profits I've come to realize non profits are super frustrating, and sooo much about fundraising. You have limited influence over policy or even in people's lives. I was planning to go to law school, and eventually do civil rights law, maybe handling police brutality cases etc. I think I had a pretty idealized view of what law could mean, and lawyers seem so unhappy. I want to love my job, but I want to be able to come home and do martial arts and adventure and spend time with my dog and eventually family.

I am a city person at heart, and want to stay in the Bay Area where I have city and nature all in one. I'm bilingual (Spanish and English), am a strong writer and public speaker, and have lots of community organizing and social media experience. Should I go to law school? Become a permaculturist/horticulturist? Should I become a welder? (there's a shortage, it sounds cool and creative.)

Any advice would be welcome. Feeling overwhelmed and stressed at what seems to be an inevitably boring career.

Law or Public Policy? You sound like PhD material to me, however. PhD in Geography? Its not what you think, and it encompasses many of your interests.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:01 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,075,223 times
Industrial Hygienist?

https://www.cmu.edu/ehs/newsletters/...hygienist.html

Environmental Health & Safety : Safety & Industrial Hygiene

Industrial Hygiene - School of Public Health

Not creative, but public sector and universities might fit well with your goals. And for some agencies, it would entail out-of-office fieldwork. Same goes for some of the corporate jobs (which will pay better), but many lump these duties in with the safety folks and as an expense.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
I don't have any specific advice for you, but I can recommend reading "What Color is Your Parachute" as it will teach you a very targeted way to do informational interviews with professionals. It sounds exactly like what you need. In any case, you can probably get the book at your college library for free, and it should only take a few hours to read through it. You can't lose by trying it out.

What Color Is Your Parachute? 2016: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers: Richard N. Bolles: 9781607746621: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,266,032 times
You're smart enough to do the math -- the law schools are turning out people with crazy high student loans and an inability to get hired. Plus lawyers spend their lives in buildings.

I grew up in the East Bay and dated a couple of guys who went to UC Berkeley -- it's a sad mistake to assume that you can't move out of CA. I bought all of the CA hype that it's the best state etc. (Born and CA raised.) Great PR on CA's part. My husband and I eventually moved to Richmond, VA -- which is awesome. Then his job took him to Atlanta. (Also, not bad, but I miss Richmond, VA dearly.)

There are so many beautiful spots in America that don't cost an arm and a leg. Raising a family in VA or GA is soooo much easier than the East Bay.

As for what to do when you graduate. . . do something fun. I know that sounds crazy, but from age 22 to 26, you're foot loose. Enjoy it to the max! Get up to Tahoe and work for the Ritz Carlton (in North Star). House sit for people at TrustedHousesitters.com and see regions for free.

And the welder idea sounds incredibly cool. Those people are skilled and make great money eventually. Like anything you have to pay your dues. Blue collar jobs have gotten the bum rush. While we're all chasing white collar jobs, great money is going to people willing to get dirty. Have you watched Dirty Jobs?

Being nervous at 20 or 21 about "what happens next" is totally normal. Try your best to chill. It's normal to be really concerned.

I'm never-mind-years-old and I adore my life and my kids, but have fun!! This is a special time in your life that doesn't return again.

Take good care,

Alley

Old 02-14-2016, 07:05 PM

510 posts, read 717,425 times
Maybe a career in Public Health? Yes, non-profits move slow and are always broke, but when I worked at one I felt like I was actually making a difference. There are careers in Environmental Health and Occupational Health that might fit your interests. MPH (Master's in Public Health) might be an option; even taking classes while you are working. Public Health naturally works with "underserved communities" as a matter of its nature.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:34 PM

60 posts, read 46,194 times
You may want to consider a masters in urban planning and development. People make fun this is major but there are plenty of jobs for in this field. Think FEMA, HUD, etc. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment