Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 AM

12,137 posts, read 23,486,453 times

Advertisements

Bilingual with a degree. Join the police department and fight all of that abuse from the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,838,605 times
Google search "Southern Environmental Law Center". A "Jobs" link will pop up in the search.

You might also consider working on writing grant proposals for environmental causes. Might do some searching on "Grant Proposal Writing for the Environment".

Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,498,651 times
I have a lot in common with you - probably less athletic though. Really love the outdoors and not being stuck in an office all the time, yet with a professional level salary. I chose petroleum geology and have loved it for over 30 years. I'm mostly in an office now but have also spent much time, esp when I was younger, in the field mapping outcrops and structure and on scientific marine surveying expeditions on ships. Pay and job ops are great when price of oil is high, not so much when low like today. You probably have a lot of college science pre-requisites with your Environmental program. Consider also environmental/engineer geology - although salary 1/3 to 1/2 lower.

Petroleum Geology, for a physical science, allows for unexpected creativity - and that seems important to you vs just grinding out a paycheck. To develop a successful oil and gas prospect, you need to fit together all sorts of geological and geophysical data into a coherent whole that shows a possible trapping mechanism and hydrocarbon source and migration route to the trap. There is seldom if ever enough data to really nail it down 100% so you have to use your imagination to develop a play concept that can only be proved by drilling. Then you're either a hero making millions for your company or a goat, but it's a blast getting there either way (as long as you don't get fired for two many dry holes!). It's sort a combination of hard science, magic, and playing a detective solving a mystery with only a bare minimum of clues, combined with high-stakes gambling.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 02-09-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 11:13 AM

8,110 posts, read 10,189,743 times
Park Ranger

Conservation Officer

EPA

DEC

Wildlife Resource Assoc.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,027,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Park Ranger

Conservation Officer

EPA

DEC

Wildlife Resource Assoc.
No jobs for park rangers or conservation officers in my area - I just spoke with one of the directors of our parks department a few months ago, and she said that all of these resource management degrees have popped up all of a sudden in recent years and the schools are graduating way too many students who want to work outdoors in nature and all that, and there just aren't enough jobs to accommodate all those graduates. She said most end up working mitigation for local land developers.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 AM

12,104 posts, read 17,218,346 times
OP, my background is more similar to you than you could ever imagine.

By the way, the term is called Environmental Justice, and I have been a proponent, and done it in the Bay Area (Richmond, CA mean anything to you?).

If you are an idealist and want to make a good living doing it, the best way to do it IMO is to go into academia. Shoot straight though, get your masters, and get a doctorate. Then, you'll get funded to work on projects that relate to Environmental Justice.

You're right about non-profits. It's hard to get jobs at the good ones, the other ones are poorly funded and make cuts all the time, and still not much gets done.

Advocacy is a difficult thing to do on a daily basis.

Environmental Law is not a good idea. More than likely, you will be advocating for clients who create contamination.

Some of the other suggestions are really good too. Live life for a while, get a better picture of what you want from it, and then decide on your career.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 8,000,973 times
I agree with the OP. Poor people of color need to stop polluting and junking up their urban communities.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,048,259 times
Important to remember that whatever you decide now, does NOT mean you are locked in for life. Very few people have it work that way. You may be sure what you want and initially pursue it, only to find after a few years you want to do something else. College is as much about learning how to reason as about subject content. If you are smart and able to think on your feet, the chosen degree field isn't that important and you could find yourself in any type of career. Sure there are exceptions, but largely those tend to be people who were destined to be doctors and lawyers from birth, and pushed that way by their parents, possibly not being all that fulfilled in the end.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
OP, my background is more similar to you than you could ever imagine.

By the way, the term is called Environmental Justice, and I have been a proponent, and done it in the Bay Area (Richmond, CA mean anything to you?).

If you are an idealist and want to make a good living doing it, the best way to do it IMO is to go into academia. Shoot straight though, get your masters, and get a doctorate. Then, you'll get funded to work on projects that relate to Environmental Justice.

You're right about non-profits. It's hard to get jobs at the good ones, the other ones are poorly funded and make cuts all the time, and still not much gets done.

Advocacy is a difficult thing to do on a daily basis.

Environmental Law is not a good idea. More than likely, you will be advocating for clients who create contamination.

Some of the other suggestions are really good too. Live life for a while, get a better picture of what you want from it, and then decide on your career.
Yes! I know and use the term like every day, haha, just didn't want to use terms people wouldn't know in a forum like this. Yes, I know Richmond well, and know people who've worked with Communities for a Better Environment and organize against Chevron.

I don't think I'm well suited to academia - like I said, I want to be on my feet moving, not in an office. I don't necessarily have any big ideas of how to solve these problems. Actually, the more I learn, the more overwhelmed and useless I feel.

If law and non profits are out, what would you recommend besides academia?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,159,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesscamille View Post
Yes! I know and use the term like every day, haha, just didn't want to use terms people wouldn't know in a forum like this. Yes, I know Richmond well, and know people who've worked with Communities for a Better Environment and organize against Chevron.

I don't think I'm well suited to academia - like I said, I want to be on my feet moving, not in an office. I don't necessarily have any big ideas of how to solve these problems. Actually, the more I learn, the more overwhelmed and useless I feel.

If law and non profits are out, what would you recommend besides academia?
You should have majored in environmental engineering. You spend half the time in the office and half the other time out inspecting job sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment