Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times

Advertisements

a big theme in this forum is that 'hr will never side with you'.

the way i see it, if you are planning to quit anyways (which is a 100 % chance in job loss) why not file a grievance with hr and there is a 50 % chance of them taking it seriously (maybe a 1 % chance of promotion).

i know that hr is there to protect the company and not you but if your boss is caught on camera pee-ing into someones coffee wouldnt they want to take action on it before it is uploaded to facebock ?

is there ever an instance where going to hr mite be beneficial to an employee ?

also, collecting a few paychecks while the 2 bobs pretend to care is a good thing since youre on borrowed time anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Unless you have irrefutable proof of wrongdoing, HR will not side with the employee. The reason is that in most cases its "he said, she said". Its also worth remembering that just because someone might feel aggrieved, that doesn't mean they actually were aggrieved per company policy.

Also, a lot of the people saying "HR is not your friend" are saying that in response to people who seem to think HR is the local therapist.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
HR is not your friend.

File a grievance against HR for your perceived slights, that'll do wonders for your career.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:23 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
I have a friend who felt her boss was beibg abusive, documented it and went to HR. They allowed her to take an extended paid leave. The option for HR was that she could sue the company, in turn getting more money and damaging their reputation.

A former boss of mine was let go. She had proof in writing that her boss told her her job is not in danger. On top of that she threatened to sue them for racial discrimination and ends up walkibg away with a 6 fiure settlement from what I know.

Long story short, HR acts in their best interest first and in the company's interest second. If the company gets sued because an HR person failed to address a complaint, guess who is losing their job.

Only do that if you have grounds to really hurt your company though.

Disclaimer:

The post above in no way constitutes legal advice of any sorts. This post was made for entertainment purposes only.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I have a friend who felt her boss was beibg abusive, documented it and went to HR. They allowed her to take an extended paid leave. The option for HR was that she could sue the company, in turn getting more money and damaging their reputation.

This surprises me. Verbal abuse isn't illegal (if physical the police can be called in and HR will make it their problem too)

OP - we proclaim the HR mantra often because ppl are naïve and believe HR has integrity and will look out for an employee's well being. That is not true at all. We wish people to avoid the unpleasantness of speaking up, you have no one watching your back. (please not I am not referring to blatant law breaking with proof)

Old 02-02-2016, 10:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
A very close friend of mine is the top HR person for a medium-sized metropolitan city govt, and he's open with me about his job. HR is NOT your friend. They are there to protect the organization, and limit liability. I cannot believe how many people don't understand this.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
A very close friend of mine is the top HR person for a medium-sized metropolitan city govt, and he's open with me about his job. HR is NOT your friend. They are there to protect the organization, and limit liability. I cannot believe how many people don't understand this.

Amazing isn't it.

I always tell people going to HR is like the pretty girl in the horror movie whose car breaks down and she goes to the big scary house to get help. It never ends well.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 AM

71 posts, read 58,502 times
Sooo, I talked to the District Manager of my last job- ritzy hotel, about some bias-ness going on resulting in the firing of one employee who didn't deserve it and the promotion of another employee who instigated a fight then threw a marker at someone, but was met with no consequences, and even was allowed to move to a better position in another department. Which was unfair because one of our coworkers couldn't obtain a job in another department because she pulled a "late call", no show.

When I explained this to the Tom, the District Manager, he debated me on what is considered "assault" and what isn't. I thought throwing something at someone with the intention to hit them is assault, it's violence!

The guy tried to brush it under the rug! Didn't offer me any solution, but to talk to the lead HR guy. It's like hello, that's why I'm talking to you,sir!

If I would have took it to social media, which love this type of stuff, he would be whistling a different tune, that's for sure!!

Old 02-03-2016, 03:47 AM

363 posts, read 433,341 times
The company I worked for a while back was a warehouse job. The atmosphere was a typical warehouse with a lot of "ghetto" employees. The plant manager hooked up with a few girls in the plant. One time he approached a girl and wanted to hook up with her, when she said no, he hinted she might lose her job. That girl went to HR with a 3 page paper explaining the situation, they did some investigating and found out he slept with about 10 girls from the production plant, and they ended up firing him.

I agree that if the situation is that bad, then HR should be considered, even with a small proof. If the issue isn't solved then at least the people causing the issue will worry and acknowledge it. I understand worrying about losing your job or risking, but if the issue is so big that you considered going to HR to begin with means the job isn't worth staying in if the problem isn't handled. As long as the reason to go to HR isn't simple, pathetic, or petty (and most are), I see no reason to be afraid.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Only do that if you have grounds to really hurt your company though.
Agreed. Also agree with the OP: go to HR if you are going to leave. And by "going to leave", I mean "facing termination". Because at that point you have nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment