Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:16 PM

53 posts, read 55,265 times

Advertisements

Just a question due to a few responses I got about a big issue I am facing in the Relationship forum, though the details aren't really necessary for this topic. Anyway, I am 30 married with 2 kids and have a job as an asst manager at a Subway and close to being store manager. I got a few snarky replies to the effect of "You work at Subway??? That's for High schoolers, get a real job!". Of course I freely admit it's far from glorious but at least it is something. That being said I wondered if this had more to do with me being a man and as such when it comes to jobs men are looked at worse for not having what would by many be considered a more "prestigious" job.

Not sure how others feel, but I do wonder, if you think a guy that's my age working at a place such as Subway is sad would the same be said for a woman? If you knew say a 30 year old woman that was working at Subway or McDonald's flipping burgers would people be as quick to call her a loser and tell her to "get a real job!"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 02:25 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,671,305 times
I saw your other post and found some of the comments offensive. I don't think what sex you are matters as far as criticism goes but there are people out there who look down their noses at blue collar workers, service industry workers, and frankly anyone who isn't at their level. You're working, earning money and helping support your family. That should be enough.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:29 PM

22,877 posts, read 48,242,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicks45 View Post
Just a question due to a few responses I got about a big issue I am facing in the Relationship forum, though the details aren't really necessary for this topic. Anyway, I am 30 married with 2 kids and have a job as an asst manager at a Subway and close to being store manager. I got a few snarky replies to the effect of "You work at Subway??? That's for High schoolers, get a real job!". Of course I freely admit it's far from glorious but at least it is something. That being said I wondered if this had more to do with me being a man and as such when it comes to jobs men are looked at worse for not having what would by many be considered a more "prestigious" job.

Not sure how others feel, but I do wonder, if you think a guy that's my age working at a place such as Subway is sad would the same be said for a woman? If you knew say a 30 year old woman that was working at Subway or McDonald's flipping burgers would people be as quick to call her a loser and tell her to "get a real job!"?
Why does it matter what others say?
If you are happy... that is all that matters.

And I would same the same thing to the opposite gender.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 8,233,451 times
I applaud anyone out there working hard and grinding and not living on the government dole.

Keep your head up!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:35 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,932,702 times
I don't see male/female being different. Ass-hat commentators like those rarely discriminate.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:14 PM

4,641 posts, read 12,013,125 times
I have no idea what's going on in the relationship forum; but, yeah, I do think society has higher expectations for men in the workplace. Not saying it's right or anything,just my observation.

To the OP: I respect everyone out there earning a living. Don't let the haters get to you.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,741,863 times
If a female age 30 with 2 kids said she works in subway, even if she worked in non-management position, I would accept it more than male. Sorry for being sexist but In that situation, I would assume the female was taking care of kids & child bearing did not allow her to make career progress. Many women are stay home mom with no job, other female might have completed higher education but had kids before she could start her full career n many women choose retail/service job for flexible hour for their kids....

Because of kids I wouldn't question her career position but if a 30 year old female with no kids had similar job as u, I would judge her the same. Btw having a assistant manager job is not bad. Its not same as flipping burger

Old 10-28-2015, 05:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,875,733 times
Definitely. My grandmother worked in a jewelry store and then at a Wal-mart for a short time.

She lived very well due to her husband's job, and as far as I'm aware nobody ever gave her any grief about it.

I have other female relatives who either never worked or had very menial jobs like my grandmother, and I never hear anyone calling them a "loser." It's always guys who get that label attached to them when they have low-status jobs.

Whether it's fair or not could be a long, drawn out topic, but that's the truth.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 965,505 times
Your job is what defines your social status and income, both of which factor into a guy's attractiveness to mature women

Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 PM

22,877 posts, read 48,242,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Your job is what defines your social status and income, both of which factor into a guy's attractiveness to mature women
The OP is not trying to attract mature women....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment