Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 PM

6,233 posts, read 3,616,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
I would not under any circumstances whatsoever eat the bosses leftovers. I don't even eat those free samples at Costco. Just the thought of where that stuff might have been gags me.
Not only the bosses leftovers but ANY leftovers left by anyone.
The servers take it out of the box and heat it up/prepare it right there on the cart. I see it all the time. They aren't making anything in a back room ahead of time. Shoppers snap up the samples so quick that servers can barely get the food out of the little toaster oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 PM

3,334 posts, read 1,968,287 times
Default The Soup Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The servers take it out of the box and heat it up/prepare it right there on the cart. I see it all the time. They aren't making anything in a back room ahead of time. Shoppers snap up the samples so quick that servers can barely get the food out of the little toaster oven.
So you are one of the snappers?

As I said, to each his/her own!

On a related note, my S.O. and I bought a two-pak of lobster bisque from the big box and took it home and prepared it. We were watching separate TVs in separate rooms and this soup was so bad that I had to flush mine down the toilet to avoid possibly hurting her feelings, as it was her purchase. Later she asked what I thought of it with a funny look on her face, and I told her I flushed it. She started laughing uncontrollably and told me she put hers down the disposal.

I suppose that if they were giving out samples of it, we could have avoided the trouble because the smell alone would have warned me off.

We got a full refund when we returned the unused portion.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:43 AM

24 posts, read 19,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was a manager in a brokerage firm and we were moving offices and required all hands on deck to help out with the move over the weekend. The boss told me to get 50 pizza pies for everyone. So my boss shows up at lunch to said he's ordering lunch for workers. While I was helping setup the pizzas for everyone. He grabs me and said I should join him for lunch.

So he ordered like a full room of gourmet sandwiches, wines, and cheeses all setup in a conference room. Only the managers were allowed to eat there. I sort of felt bad because I personally rather eat with the regular folks than have lunch with other managers and have smack talk in front of the boss.
Yes, this is exactly the feeling that I was trying to describe. They were not buying us food, they were giving us their leftovers, like we were pets. We were so upset we were texting all afternoon about it, after an experience like that, it was hard to get any work done . Even more upsetting are people's reactions on this forum to my wanting to share what was a very upsetting experience. I nearly called in sick the next day I was so upset. I'm disappointed in this city-data forum, I was hoping that it was a "safe-space" to share feelings and speak open and honestly. Clearly that it not the case. I'm thinking of never posting here again. Not really quite sure what I'm going to do just yet, still exploring my options and sorting things out, figuring out what's best for me and how to get through this... I'm still healing. I'll see how I feel in a few days, and how badly I have been damaged. Still, it's important to maintain a positive outlook, and realize that one can always bounce back from the worst of circumstances. One must never lose hope.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataaround View Post
Yes, this is exactly the feeling that I was trying to describe. They were not buying us food, they were giving us their leftovers, like we were pets. We were so upset we were texting all afternoon about it, after an experience like that, it was hard to get any work done . Even more upsetting are people's reactions on this forum to my wanting to share what was a very upsetting experience. I nearly called in sick the next day I was so upset. I'm disappointed in this city-data forum, I was hoping that it was a "safe-space" to share feelings and speak open and honestly. Clearly that it not the case. I'm thinking of never posting here again. Not really quite sure what I'm going to do just yet, still exploring my options and sorting things out, figuring out what's best for me and how to get through this... I'm still healing. I'll see how I feel in a few days, and how badly I have been damaged. Still, it's important to maintain a positive outlook, and realize that one can always bounce back from the worst of circumstances. One must never lose hope.
Your reaction is completely, totally ridiculous, and the fact that y'all wasted time gossiping about it, being unproductive and getting each other riled up is unprofessional.

A truly positive person would have thought, "How nice that she wanted to SHARE with us."

Having a servant mentality will keep you a servant.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
Quote:

You're healing over this? Over what? Leftover food? Did you eat it and get sick? No? Then I'm not understanding what the 'healing' is for in this situation.

Nor am I understanding where in this situation you were 'damaged'. Your bosses brought leftovers, you were insulted, and you're making it a personal attack. I don't think your bosses are the problem here....

I hope exploring your options means seeking professional help, because if this how you react to leftovers I'd hate to see how you react to something minutely important.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Your reaction is completely, totally ridiculous, and the fact that y'all wasted time gossiping about it, being unproductive and getting each other riled up is unprofessional.

A truly positive person would have thought, "How nice that she wanted to SHARE with us."

Having a servant mentality will keep you a servant.

and if they were that worried about seafood being left out, they could've thrown it away. Not sure where the issue is here.....

Old 10-18-2015, 08:28 AM

22,617 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
We were so upset we were texting all afternoon about it, after an experience like that, it was hard to get any work done . Even more upsetting are people's reactions on this forum to my wanting to share what was a very upsetting experience. I nearly called in sick the next day I was so upset. I'm disappointed in this city-data forum, I was hoping that it was a "safe-space" to share feelings and speak open and honestly. Clearly that it not the case. I'm thinking of never posting here again. Not really quite sure what I'm going to do just yet, still exploring my options and sorting things out, figuring out what's best for me and how to get through this... I'm still healing. I'll see how I feel in a few days, and how badly I have been damaged. Still, it's important to maintain a positive outlook, and realize that one can always bounce back from the worst of circumstances. One must never lose hope.
Seriously?
All this DRAMA - yes DRAMA; read the bolded parts above! - over a bag of leftovers that you did not even eat.

:::sheesh:::

Have you considered counseling?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:58 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
I worked at a place that often had food catered for meetings. It was usually higher up managers in those meetings. This was the kind of catered food where someone took their food off the tray and put onto their own plate.

As soon as the eating was over, some of the Admin Assistants would bring out the leftover trays of food and place them in a common area. Then send an email to everyone in the building, telling them what food was available and 'come and get it'.

We learned that if we wanted some, we should go there as soon as the email was received. They had some excellent food! Some of the best brownies I ever tasted. And all other kinds of food.

Workers would race walk to that food table. We got stuff 2-3 days per week. I miss that.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
If the higher ups really wanted to poison the employees, it would have be more effective provide arsenic laced meals and snacks than leftovers.

I have enjoyed many free leftovers from completed meetings, such as quesadillas, pizza, cookies, sandwiches with a variety of fillings including poisonous tuna salad sandwiches(oh no the tuna fish is poisonous seafood!).

None of it has killed me, yet. I am still alive and kicking.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:02 PM

23 posts, read 37,176 times
Complainers will always complain....I have a strong suspicion that if she would have walked in and thrown her leftovers box away in front of you, you would be complaining about her not sharing.

Grow up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment