Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:20 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,992 times

Advertisements

About 6 months ago, the company I work for decided that they needed more office space and so our department was deemed to be best suited for working from home. We are paid for telephone and internet, but not that much.

I used to think that I would like working from home, but I don't.

I feel like I am missing something. I don't know anyone at the office anymore; it feels like things are happening but we not told them.

My manager was supposed to have a lunch or meeting once a month, but so far in 6 months, there has been 1 conference call.

The other people (all women) love working from home. They have kids so it works for them with child care issues.

I am single and have no one to talk to. I am getting a lot of work done but I'm so lonely.

What is so great about working from home? I feel like I a am missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 AM

589 posts, read 696,757 times
Introverts would more than likely love it and extroverts would hate it. I'm more productive when I work alone.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:28 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
There are lots of things that aren't related to child care.

1) Save time on commute to/from work, save gas money and save wear and tear on your car because no commute. Similar situation if you take public transportation.

2) Save time and money on work attire. No need to have work clothing.

3) Save time and money on lunches

4) Work more efficiently and you get more work done because you don't have office chit-chat.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:39 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,992 times
those are good reasons, but what about people who want to have opportunities? Are they more likely to be passed over if they work from home?

Also, aren't remote people the first people to be laid off in the event of a company downsizing?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 9,290 times
I would love to work from home because you'd get to live in any city you want and can just fly in or call in for the monthly meeting

Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
I knew one who got his own office close by so his work would be separate. And another who went out to bars a lot to get away after work, which happened to be his home. I had one work from home gig, but I went somewhere else to do the work.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,891 times
I once had the option to work from home. I didn't like it. Maybe in Tahiti I'd have a different viewpoint?

I could never get motivated. It's just too easy to sit around in your pajamas and put off working. First you tell yourself you'll start "right after lunch." In the afternoon, you decide you'll work later in the evening. When evening comes, you put it all off until the next morning. And then the process repeats. Maybe it was because the work wasn't much fun.

I once had another job that was perfectly suited to work at home. I could have done that work in my sleep, but work at home wasn't in the cards. That's too bad. I really could have moved to some tropical island and, working two hours a day, I could have kept up with the required "production." To this day they're paying people six figures to do work that could be done in two hours a day...

Old 10-04-2015, 01:36 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Not having to deal with coworkers that make you want to pull your hair out.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
I would love the opportunity to work from home. I have met a few programmers that do work from home, and live in other states from their jobs. There are some major companies that operate that way.

I know there would be a downside, but a lot of plusses are listed in the posts above, and to me they would outweigh the bad. I would be much more productive alone or tele-conferencing with a team who isn't much into idle chit chat. Also my mind does not work 8-5. Sometimes I stay up and work at midnight or 1am or later because that is when I am most creative. Telecommuting would be most conducive to that.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
those are good reasons, but what about people who want to have opportunities? Are they more likely to be passed over if they work from home?

Also, aren't remote people the first people to be laid off in the event of a company downsizing?
It depends. Our telecommuters are limited to 2-3 days a week so they are still pretty visible and able to make meetings. In a job where collaboration with others in the same and/or other departments is normal, the limitation of phone/email does result in a certain amount of frustration to others that could be negative when opportunities come up. Downsizing is normally going to eliminate the least critical functions, which may or may be people working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment