Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

No traffic.

And no pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 AM

252 posts, read 275,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No traffic.

And no pants.
Which is better between those 2?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:44 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about this "isolation." That is only between 9 and 5. I work from home, from 7a-5p, and then on Monday night, I go to a church/recovery meeting. Tuesday night, I will be attending Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey, 9-week class (little plug there, so excited). Wednesday night, I'm going out to dinner. Thursday night, I'm attending a church community group. Friday night, I will probably go out with friends. Sunday, church. Not to mention that because I have freedom during the workday, I go out to lunch with friends. Voila, I am not isolated from the human race.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about this "isolation." That is only between 9 and 5. I work from home, from 7a-5p, and then on Monday night, I go to a church/recovery meeting. Tuesday night, I will be attending Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey, 9-week class (little plug there, so excited). Wednesday night, I'm going out to dinner. Thursday night, I'm attending a church community group. Friday night, I will probably go out with friends. Sunday, church. Not to mention that because I have freedom during the workday, I go out to lunch with friends. Voila, I am not isolated from the human race.
Exactly. I enjoy socializing with friends and family, not glorified strangers in an office.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Worked at home for about 5 years.

Loved not having the 3 hr daily commute.

Hated having a boss that acted like your job was to sit at home just waiting for him to call. I always felt like I had to prove that I was working 40 hours, when in fact I worked more.

Which brings me to... Hated that I allowed myself to get into the pattern of going back to my home office after dinner (just to wrap up a few things). This happened too often!

Loved being able to put the kids on the bus in the mornings, have lunch at school with them sometimes, and even taking some time here and there to do things (doctor, bank, post office) that weren't open when I could get there before.

Hated being out of the loop with my contemporaries. It's so easy to call over to a co-worker at the office for some info or to socialize an idea, etc. At home, you had to call or email people hoping they were available for you.

And yes, I was laid off as the easy mark regardless of my high performance reviews. I got a call from the boss one morning saying FedEx was coming to my door with an envelope and I was to call him before opening it. Yeah, we ALL know what that was; my severance. It's really easy to cut the guy they don't have to see face to face when they do it. Spineless!

Overall, I'm glad to have experienced home office, but I wouldn't want to do it full time again.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,735 times
I used to think working from home would be cool. But, after much reflection I decided that the isolation would be too much for me. I doubt that I'd be productive. Besides, I'd miss the office drama lol..

Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
To me the best option is a few days in the office and the rest at home. I did that for a little while after one of my children was born, and I felt I got plenty of office exposure in the 16 or so hours I was there.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Worked at home for about 5 years.

Loved not having the 3 hr daily commute.

Hated having a boss that acted like your job was to sit at home just waiting for him to call. I always felt like I had to prove that I was working 40 hours, when in fact I worked more.

Which brings me to... Hated that I allowed myself to get into the pattern of going back to my home office after dinner (just to wrap up a few things). This happened too often!

Loved being able to put the kids on the bus in the mornings, have lunch at school with them sometimes, and even taking some time here and there to do things (doctor, bank, post office) that weren't open when I could get there before.

Hated being out of the loop with my contemporaries. It's so easy to call over to a co-worker at the office for some info or to socialize an idea, etc. At home, you had to call or email people hoping they were available for you.

And yes, I was laid off as the easy mark regardless of my high performance reviews. I got a call from the boss one morning saying FedEx was coming to my door with an envelope and I was to call him before opening it. Yeah, we ALL know what that was; my severance. It's really easy to cut the guy they don't have to see face to face when they do it. Spineless!

Overall, I'm glad to have experienced home office, but I wouldn't want to do it full time again.
This is exactly how I feel. I'm glad to have the experience, but if I have the option again, unless it's for a great job, I wouldn't want to do it. I can already tell that people in the office are getting perks that the remote folks don't get. It's like they think this is a priviledge but it's really (IMO) not.

And when you described how you got laid off, that's exactly how it can happen. If they don't have to see you and look you in the eye, it's easier (even if only a little bit) to let someone go.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:34 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Default work from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No traffic.

And no pants.
This.

I have been working from home the past two months.

Landed this gig after making a 1 hour commute twice a day for 5 years.

Pro's of working from home:

1. Working in pj's
2. No time wasted ironing work clothes or driving through traffic.
3. Ability to work pretty much anytime of the day I would like. (Usually start my day around 9:30 am)
4. Ability to live/work from just about anywhere I want (currently spending time with family).

If I were making another $10k I would probably stay on this job for long term.

Interacting face2face with coworkers is on the bottom of my needs list. No important to me at all.

Side note: My situation is much different from yours in that I have regular
communication with my boss and coworkers (through skype). We talk at least
twice a week.

I think you need to plan more social activities. Find a meetup group, boyfriend or some activity that will force you to get out of the house after working hours.

Sounds like you really need that interaction. Inbox me if you want some ideas.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
About 6 months ago, the company I work for decided that they needed more office space and so our department was deemed to be best suited for working from home. We are paid for telephone and internet, but not that much.

I used to think that I would like working from home, but I don't.

I feel like I am missing something. I don't know anyone at the office anymore; it feels like things are happening but we not told them.

My manager was supposed to have a lunch or meeting once a month, but so far in 6 months, there has been 1 conference call.

The other people (all women) love working from home. They have kids so it works for them with child care issues.

I am single and have no one to talk to. I am getting a lot of work done but I'm so lonely.

What is so great about working from home? I feel like I a am missing something.
Wow you are looking a gift horse in the mouth and complaining? If you don't like it, there are literally millions of people who would switch places with you in a heartbeat. Talk to people after work, you have no commute so the minute your work day is up, go to places to talk to people. No work lunch or meeting? Count your blessings and initiate your own meetings after work or on the weekends. All the costs of commuting like gas and car? Cut those expenses and put the money into savings and investments. You're literally one of the luckiest workers alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment