Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
Glad to have cleared that up for you.
No problem, Captain Obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,535,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife has took a job that gives her PTO (paid time off) if she has to leave early or isn't there her boss makes her use her time. I've had PTO with other jobs but I have never heard of this, has anyone else experienced this? Could this be a state thing? She's going to HR today to check with them but I have to admit this is very strange.
MOH {My Other Half} works at a job where the hours can vary some, depending on clients needs/time required that the business serves.

ANY remaining time needed to reach the certain total hours {required by the state} for a bi-weekly paycheck MUST be made up with PTO {earned sick time, earned vacation time, earned holiday time}.

ONLY when that PTO is exhausted, does the paycheck dwindle below required hours. For example, right now, MOH is down one client, meaning down 16 hours + per pay period. AND is OUT of PTO now.

Unfortunately, that ALSO means our vacation, scheduled for our anniversary in July, will have to be cancelled,as MOH has NO PTO to take the time off!

It also means if MOH gets sick, ONLY the short-term disability insurance we pay for will be there to cover IF it will cover that reason MOH is out sick, as ALL sick PTO has been exhausted until NEXT JAN. already!

We both think such a policy STINKS, but unfortuntely it is how THIS system works. It is largely to keep people from "piling up" PTO and using all at the end of the year to use it up, and leaving the clients served in need of services due.

I feel for YOUR OH and yourself!

sorry

Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,272,494 times
My last company gave us a week off for christmas but we had to charge the time as PTO... ie not a holiday

they did this because people worked so many hours, not enough vacation time was being taken and too much was accruing.. yes that company over-worked all of us and it was a big 4 accounting firm.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 AM

299 posts, read 352,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
No problem, Captain Obvious.

You're welcome.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,291,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I understood the OP upon first read.

Some heads are thick in this thread.

At work I and only I choose when PTO is paid/used, not my superior or company.
When one of my people misses or has to leave for an appointment I don't put them down to use PTO unless they say yes when I ask them if they want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So if they leave 2 hours earlier they are not paid for those two hours.

So they can save that 2 hours of Paid Time Off to use for a vacation or something else?

Seems odd to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If they say no, what is the alternative?
bluesjuke, I'm still curious, too.

So, Employee A asks to leave two hours early for a dentist appointment and refuses to use PTO.
I am assuming that means that they do not get paid for that time (otherwise it would be cheating your company) and they save their PTO off. So, your company is "short" two hours of work that week and will also be "short" two hours of work when Employee A uses PTO for their vacation.

For just one person it does not sound like a lot, but if many, many people do that I am guessing that the company would be pretty annoyed.

Hmmm, it is Wednesday afternoon, and A wants off for a dentist appointment, B wants off for his child's ballet recital, C wants off to take her elderly mother to the doctor, D came down with flu and is throwing up all over the office and they ALL want to leave for several hours but do not want to use PTO that day so they can save it to take vacations.

What actually happens in real life? Do they have to stay at work? Do they leave and not get paid for those hours? Or, do you let them sneak out and get paid even though they are not at work? Or what?

I'm not trying to harass you, I am genuinely curious what you would do.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-24-2015 at 08:10 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times
^ me too.

I would either have to take PTO or make up the time during the pay period. I don't understand what other option there is. I can't take leave without pay unless all of my PTO has been used, and then it is frowned upon.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,458,086 times
Quote:
Never heard of anyone forcing you to take it.

She is not being forced to use that time she is choosing to use it when she leaves early or is not there.
I'm not sure why both of you are confused about this.

Quote:
I would think he would be her choice. Maybe she wants to save them in case she gets sick or has a flat tire, Etc.
Perhaps she should quit leaving early and quit not going to work if she wants to save the time for real problems like getting sick.

If she leaves early or doesn't go in often why did she take a job?
How long has she been there that she is leaving early or not going in already?
If she can afford to not be paid for the time she is using why did she take the job?
I'm gla she does not work for me, actually if she worked for me she would more than likely already be fired.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM

6,998 posts, read 7,090,649 times
What I don't understand is, why would somebody prefer to take unpaid time off rather than using PTO, when they have PTO available? It's standard practice at nearly every job that when you want time off and have PTO available, you use your PTO. If you are out of PTO and there is a day that you absolutely cannot work, that is when you negotiate unpaid time off, make up the time, carry a negative PTO balance, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment