Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM

615 posts, read 726,274 times

Advertisements

Any reasonable person knows that we're due for an economic recession at least as bad as 2008's. Have you thought about whether you're likely to still have your job when the recession hits? Some jobs are virtually recession-proof and others are recession-sensitive.

For instance, if you're a grocery store manager, your job is safe because everyone will still need groceries. Same if you're a car repairman (You might even get an increase in business because, in the interest of saving money, more people will opt to fix their car rather than lease a new one).

If you're some completely non-essential industry, like being a Social Media App Developer or some other buzzword title, you're probably screwed because your business is tied to ad revenue and ad revenue will be non-existent when consumers are broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I think there is a recession coming, just if you look at the historical ebbs and flows of the business cycle - we're due for one.

My job is tied to the financial services industry, but our company has been rapidly expanding. If a bunch of our clients fold in a financial crisis, we'd be in some trouble.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Most likely fine, healthcare does okay, and govt job isn't aiming to turn a profit... but govt aside, I did well enough in private sector too, but it as at another tax funded hospital so... my viewed are to be tax funded?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Any reasonable person knows that we're due for an economic recession at least as bad as 2008's.
Do you mean that one is imminent or do you mean at any point in the future? If you mean that one is imminent (like in a month or two), then I did not know that and I consider myself to be a reasonable person.

My position is recession proof.

I don't think we're in for a recession for a while. And if a Republican president is elected, that'll push out any potential recession further out. But then when it hits, it'll be a doozy. If Democrat, it'll come sooner but gentler. That said, there is no reason to be running and hiding under rocks just yet.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:55 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
Hopefully another recession isn't imminent in the next year or two, as I feel like we've only just recovered within the last 2 years from our previous recession.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I work in the food industry. People always need to eat. During the start of the recession in 08 sales were booming. People were cooking more at home than going out to restaurants.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
There are too much cash out there for this to happen, the problem is the 2% has most of the cash and they're not sharing.

Which is why the Feds are trying to penalized the rich for not using their cash hoard. We'll see what happens, if a recession happens it will be the rich over leveraged again. It won't be the middle class because the government has destroyed the middle class so much that they are at the tipping point.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
You can't force anyone to spend more money, rich or not.... govt can tax it but not take it... tax too much, they will just shutdown company office and reopen elsewhere

Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Not that I buy the upcoming recession talk, but I consider my position safe. In fact, I was hired in early 2009 while the company was laying off about 35 people in positions that were considered non-essential.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There are too much cash out there for this to happen, the problem is the 2% has most of the cash and they're not sharing.

Which is why the Feds are trying to penalized the rich for not using their cash hoard. We'll see what happens, if a recession happens it will be the rich over leveraged again. It won't be the middle class because the government has destroyed the middle class so much that they are at the tipping point.
Point of order - it was big business who destroyed the middle class. Any government involvement was caused by bought-up politicians doing their master's bidding. It was business who blew the Housing Bubble, business who crashed it, and business who was Bailed Out at our expense. Business who outsourced our jobs, and business who bought up our leaders to ensure all of this would happen then and will happen again.

As for the OP's post, we hardly left the most recent recession, and I believe history will show this period as just an uptick in the Great Recession. Nothing has fundamentally improved. Jobs are still hard to find - except now we have more part-time, poverty wage crap that people can't life on... yeah - people are still in debt, and most of the wealth continues to flow up into the hands of sociopaths who'd gladly see the world burn if it meant a few more dollars in their pockets. Heck, we've even got people trumpeting how "good" it is that housing is becoming less and less affordable, and flipper shows are back on TV! Nothing is learned from the past, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment