Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:14 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,834,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If in the 1930's it was called a depression, and in 2008-2012 it was called a recession, what will the next one be called?
a Concussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:31 AM

18,564 posts, read 15,996,796 times
If you save a good % of your gross earnings and invest wisely and save consistently, you should be okay through any recession, even if you lose a job and even if it takes you a year or more to find another one. The trick is always being prepared for "Career Armageddon," because losing a job can happen at any time.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,862,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Point of order - it was big business who destroyed the middle class. Any government involvement was caused by bought-up politicians doing their master's bidding. It was business who blew the Housing Bubble, business who crashed it, and business who was Bailed Out at our expense. Business who outsourced our jobs, and business who bought up our leaders to ensure all of this would happen then and will happen again.

As for the OP's post, we hardly left the most recent recession, and I believe history will show this period as just an uptick in the Great Recession. Nothing has fundamentally improved. Jobs are still hard to find - except now we have more part-time, poverty wage crap that people can't life on... yeah - people are still in debt, and most of the wealth continues to flow up into the hands of sociopaths who'd gladly see the world burn if it meant a few more dollars in their pockets. Heck, we've even got people trumpeting how "good" it is that housing is becoming less and less affordable, and flipper shows are back on TV! Nothing is learned from the past, sadly.
After the DotCom bubble, housing became the fallback for investors and businesses and "all-in" on housing which we can agree that it created the perfect storm for the last recession.

Back in the old days, a person who saves and keeps his money is the bank can early almost a double % growth due to interest.

Because of the Feds wanted trickle down economy, they became the direct lenders to big businesses by offering free loans and literally free betting. Too big to fail.

The middle class no longer have a way to accumulate wealth through saving and the economy is all about placing bets.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:45 AM

11,277 posts, read 9,900,841 times
Looking at all the industrial expansion and hiring going on in our area, I wouldn't worry about recession around here any time soon. I'm retired so I'm not worried for myself, but I enjoy reading the business section in the Knoxville News Sentinel and not a week goes by that they don't report one or more companies expanding or moving into our area and the corresponding hundreds of jobs for which they will be hiring. We are becoming a center for advanced materials and 3D printing technologies, as well as auto parts manufacturing. It's all about location, location, location. If you need a job, go where the jobs are.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM

733 posts, read 859,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
After the DotCom bubble, housing became the fallback for investors and businesses and "all-in" on housing which we can agree that it created the perfect storm for the last recession.

Back in the old days, a person who saves and keeps his money is the bank can early almost a double % growth due to interest.

Because of the Feds wanted trickle down economy, they became the direct lenders to big businesses by offering free loans and literally free betting. Too big to fail.

The middle class no longer have a way to accumulate wealth through saving and the economy is all about placing bets.
Exactly.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,457,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

And what was inflation?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:08 AM

615 posts, read 728,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Exactly.
Our system is exactly how the government wants it to be. Perpetual inflation helps transfer the wealth to government and Wall Street.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM

2,810 posts, read 5,649,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
While a reasonable economist (or person) would suggest that we're due for a recession within the next six years, no reasonable economist (or person) is estimating that it will be at least as bad as 2008.

Our product line focuses on fortune 100 companies and upper middle class to wealthy consumers. These types of customers are generally least impacted by recessions. I think my job will be relatively safe.
The OP is really exaggerating when mentioning a recession at least as bad as 2008's coming. That was the worst recession since the Great Depression- caused by unbelievably crazy misdoings in the financial industry that caused a chain reaction of disasters. Much worse than what you see in normal recessions. Most are expecting a mild recession to come down in the next few years, nothing major.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,469,616 times
I don't know about a recession again. Things are on the upswing as far as I can see. My company is training me for a new position. I see myself working here for another 20 years easy. Then again I love it here. Housing has recovered. What I like about that is we bought our home in 2010 when things were way down and now our homes value is way up. sure it is all on paper but in 4 and a half years we have 50% equity in our home. Not bad since we put 3% down on it. Not that the equity changes anything, I only see it as a debt to pay off, one we hope to have paid off in the next 10 years.

Things are looking great from where I am standing. The entire economy could fall apart. I get that but don't dwell on it. I have no way to control it.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:16 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,061,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If in the 1930's it was called a depression, and in 2008-2012 it was called a recession, what will the next one be called?
Interesting trivia:

- Back in the 1800's, they were called Panics.
- When the Depression hit, the name was changed because "Panic" scared people
- Of course, the Depression turned out to be longer and worse than any Panic in the past couple hundred years, so now we use Recession instead of Depression.
- Next up, since we've been in a Recession of sorts since arguable 2000 if you ignore the false wealth from the Housing Bubble, most of which vanished except for what the crooks and clowns at the top received, we'll have to call what we're in something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment