Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,845,778 times

Advertisements

I've worked at all types of companies, the biggest to the smallest. What is most in common at big companies are internal politics, character assassination, backstabbing, cheating, and war between different managers just like in the HBO TV Show "The Game of Thrones."

Luckily I'm a contractor here but to witness the level of tactics and betrayal used by some of the employees against each other is just sickening. There are people I believe born to become Hitler or Stalin like if given the power. They've already shown what they can do in a corporate work environment.

As someone puts it accurately, there's no compassion or being nice to each other. "There is only the Game of Thrones."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,122,339 times
Happened to me too. It's unbelievable how greedy some people are, and it shows in how terrible they are as conniving backstabbing coworkers.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:08 AM

12,124 posts, read 23,418,803 times
The bigger any organization, business, club, non profit or anything else gets, the more personality clashes and politics you have. It should not be surprising. And for a small place, even a single employee can make the environment toxic.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:11 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,057,877 times
Yup. Remember, in Game of Thrones, the reasonably nice guy with honor (Ned Stark) was rewarded with death and the extermination of his family. Which basically sums up corporate America. What's equally fascinating is how many low-level toolbags support this mindset, idiotically dreaming that someday they'll be the king or "big man." They think they are too "smart" or "hardworking" for it to happen to them - only "lazy" people get thrown under the bus - but they are actually stupid to realize just how disposable they are.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:15 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,043,379 times
I'm going to try and find this article I read a few months ago about comparing GOT to corporate America. I actually figured that's what this thread was about. Anyone remember reading it?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 AM

22,765 posts, read 48,022,553 times
Nah... if it were, many more men would be dead.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM

254 posts, read 463,486 times
A lot less nudity.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,102,885 times
Excellent description of Corporate America!

Like you, I've worked at the small 'family' owned business, and at a large corporation. Definitely experienced and witnessed everything you described.

The worse thing I came across while working in a small office environment that was family-owned, was the family bickering that created a hostile workplace. Also family members believing they could be slackers since they were related to the owners and dumping the work on the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've worked at all types of companies, the biggest to the smallest. What is most in common at big companies are internal politics, character assassination, backstabbing, cheating, and war between different managers just like in the HBO TV Show "The Game of Thrones."

Luckily I'm a contractor here but to witness the level of tactics and betrayal used by some of the employees against each other is just sickening. There are people I believe born to become Hitler or Stalin like if given the power. They've already shown what they can do in a corporate work environment.

As someone puts it accurately, there's no compassion or being nice to each other. "There is only the Game of Thrones."

Old 06-17-2015, 11:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,839,059 times
I disagree about the nice guys like Ned Stark losing out. If anything I say you should be like the Tyrells. While not evil, you know how to kiss ass, be strategic, sneaky, and get what you want without having to hurt other to do so.

The Tyrells to me are what you should be like. I wish it were more like the Starks, but hey it can't be perfect.

I work in a company of 3 people right now, and it is TOXIC.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,579,559 times
I have worked for start-ups all the way up to a global corporation, private companies, public companies and a state university. The politics and back-stabbing are everywhere. The start-up and university were the worst. I am happy to be back in the corporate world, because the crap that goes on in small offices and the state system would not be allowed to continue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment