Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,747,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
Jayna, if you have a degree already, you should consider just going back for your masters in accounting. Or take enough accounting courses to take the CPA exams.

What state are you in? In CA, you only need 24 units or accounting. In TN you need 30.
I wasn't sure I would be competitive with an undergrad in education. And I wasn't sure if I would be in over my head, either.

I live in Michigan. You have to have 30 credits in accounting and another 39 in business related courses. Of course, that is for a CPA certificate, so I suppose I could get my master's, but not go for a CPA certificate. At least initially. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/la...e_430903_7.pdf

I appreciate everyone's advice. I've learned a whole lot more from posting in forums than I did with a week of researching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,441,620 times
Look into the CPA requirements in your State and work backwards from there. Im not sure if all States will grant you a CPA with a Bachelors in Education or whatever and Masters in Accounting.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:03 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,875,203 times
To the OP,

I think the first step would be simply start reading the Wall Street Journal and the business section of the nearest large city from where you live. You should read them both for about 1/2 to an hour each day, on a variety of topics. Or Fortune, Forbes, or Bloomberg BusinessWeek. You don't have to read them cover to cover, but you should get used to reading business literature on a daily basis. The Online subscriptions are not that expensive and well worth it.

I find this is a good screening mechanism because successful accountants really like business and how businesses operate. If you find the WSJ too boring and can't do it, it is a very bad sign because to accountants, those periodicals are like People Magazine compared to the dry materials we read to stay current (i.e. CCH, Tax Analysts, BNA, etc.).

After that, go out to lunch with a few accountants (corporate, audit firm, sole practitioner) and ask them about what they do and if they like it. This will give you a sense of whether it is something that you'd like to do. That stuff you did is paraprofessional bookkeeping type work and, honestly, that's mostly glorified data entry. That's not what professional accountants do and an associates degree is not necessary to do professional level accounting work. If you can't find someone, call your local CPA society or the alumni office of your undergraduate college.

The next step would be to take Introductory Accounting I and II and Statistical Math (if you haven't done it, skip if you would be comfortable with statistical sampling) at your local community college. These courses are almost always offered at night because the professors are usually adjuncts that are local CPAs. Get to know your professors and ask them lots of advice. If you haven't taken Intro to Microeconomics or Macroeconomics, I'd take those as well, or do a self study on my own.

If after that, you still want to be an accountant, then you should apply for a 2 year full-time or 3 year part-time Master's of Accounting program. You have to take the GMAT, but these programs are not usually that difficult to get into, even at top schools like U. of Michigan. The part-time programs are going to be in big cities. The schools should be accredited by the AACSB. This is about the top 400 or so business schools and most major corporations concentrate their on-campus recruiting at these schools.

I'd be wary of pure on-line programs because as someone that is completely new to accounting, you'll really need to build your network. You do that through your classmates, professors, and alumni. It is much easier at a brick and mortar school. As a pure on-line student, you'll have very limited access to on campus recruiting programs, and that's where the best entry level positions are available.

As for part-time or full-time, that's something you'll have to balance. As for the quality of the school, it does matter. The best employers with the best jobs recruit the best students at the best schools. Yes, top students at mediocre or no-name schools can get work at the top accounting firms, but it is much harder than at the best schools. A big school like U. of Texas at Austin or Texas A&M will place 25% of their class at the top firms and 75-90% of their respective classes will get very good entry level accounting jobs that will lead to a career. A no-name school might only get 25% of its class with similar jobs. So you'll have to balance prestige, opportunity, convenience, family, cost, etc.

But if you really believe in yourself and think you'll work very hard, I'd go for the best school full-time, balancing cost and location. The public accounting report has the most accurate accounting school rankings: http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/docu...chRankings.pdf I have worked with accountants from just about all of these colleges in my Big 4 and Fortune 500 career, outside of Ball St. and Middle Tennessee State.

A 2 year accounting masters will make you eligible to sit for the CPA exam, but the focus should getting an entry level job first (usually through an internship). The employer than can later pay you for your CPA review course and exam fees.

The path above is what the people who I knew in big firms and corporations who had non-business related undergrads did to get into a good career path in accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment