Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,949 times

Advertisements

Are you doing what you want to do career-wise, or are you simply going with the flow of life and working a job? If your not doing what you want career-wise does it bother you severly? are you taking steps to change your situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:27 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,526,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Are you doing what you want to do career-wise, or are you simply going with the flow of life and working a job? If your not doing what you want career-wise does it bother you severly? are you taking steps to change your situation?
I made a decision about 8 years ago to change my mentality and get out of dead-end jobs. Fast forward 8 years, and I have acheived success I never thought was possible back then. To think it all started with late nights and lots of coffee in a shabby apartment.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM

732 posts, read 4,161,378 times
I never planned to be a UPS driver when I started UPS but it's a good company to work for and a steady job it todays work force. I was originally going to college to get an Associates in the computer field but I lost interest and found it boring.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:28 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,402,817 times
I have been in the healthcare field for the past 10 years working on the facilities end of things. I love it and want to move up further within management. Not to many years ago I earned my BS and this year will complete my MBA. I also have my CPP designation from American Society of Industrial Security (ASIS) Along with that I am a Certified Hospital Facility manager from American Society of Hospital Engineers (ASHE) a devision of the American Hospital Association.Doing all this has given me the experience and ability to place myself in several positions within the Hospital industry and within the safety and security of a faclity. I love what I do and am happy to be at work each day. Now if I could find a job in the Phoenix Arizona area where we are buying a home.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,526,993 times
Quote:

Sometimes, it's a crapshoot. You could know what you love to do, but it could be a very hard field to work in, or not many jobs in it. I always say give it your best shot though.
But there are no guarantees in life.
I've worked very hard, two degrees, always tried to do the right thing, put in extra hours, did more than required, got advanced registries, and it didn't get me far. I suppose had I subscribed to cutthroat politics, I'd be farther ahead, but ultimately, I'd rather have a clean conscience and a good view of myself than a lot of money. Money just isn't success.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,266,592 times
Quote:
are you taking steps to change your situation?
Yes, I'm trying to meet God halfway - play the Powerball!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,119,078 times
Quote:

I'm still stuck at the same retail job I've had since October of 1999 and I want to get a job to where I can make good money without having to attend college, I am a really hard worker and I am willing to learn and I like to keep myself busy while I'm working and be able to work with a large group of people.

The kind of jobs I wanna do is working for a railroad company, freight company (outside of retail) or at a callcenter, me I wanna get a job to where I can get make alot of $ and get well rewarded for my hard work.

Last edited by Mopac1980; 01-19-2008 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add one thing

Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM

That's awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I made a decision about 8 years ago to change my mentality and get out of dead-end jobs. Fast forward 8 years, and I have acheived success I never thought was possible back then. To think it all started with late nights and lots of coffee in a shabby apartment.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Hmmm... never thought about it that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yes, I'm trying to meet God halfway - play the Powerball!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,268,103 times
I gave up a "job" for a "career" a few years ago. While my career makes me happy it does not pay my bills. So I find myself looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment