Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 12:09 PM

79 posts, read 63,265 times

Advertisements

I've been in my career for about 5 years now. My background is marketing but I've gone from the agency side as a media buyer/planner to the corporate side as a marketing coordinator with a healthcare system.

I'm very knowledgeable about market trends and how to put the right advertisement in front of my target audience. I've been involved in a lot of successful marketing campaigns for pretty well-known companies. In my current roll, I have many roles. I served as the project manager for our new website re-design and am responsible for marketing new doctors we bring on board. I've also been directly involved with marketing efforts for our practices and recently greatly increased revenue for our Gastroenterology practice.

My problem? There are a few. First, I feel like I'm EXTREMELY underpaid for the skill sets I posses and the work I do. Not to mention, my employer creates no incentives for employees. I'm constantly growing our ROI and I get a "Hey, thanks", if that. I never get a bonus and there is no clear career path. Many of my co-workers have been employed here for YEARS and have never got any substantial raise or promotion. The ONLY benefit of my current position is that I intend on starting grad school in the fall and I at least rarely have to work overtime, allowing me to be able to go home and study.

I had planned to just "deal" with being underpaid as an exchange for study time, but I'm constantly finding myself stressed due to financial issues, stuck as to how I can pay off current debt and meet my goal of being debt free and having to pass on social gatherings to save money.

BUT - after talking to some of my girlfriends this past weekend, I decided that I needed to start actively looking for another position. And to add to that, I'm not sure if I should stay in marketing, or pursue another industry.

I've always teetered back and forth with the idea of getting into sales. But the fact that I have no sales experience, an "unknown" monthly income and possible having a product that is extremely hard to sell, SCARES the crap out of me.

Anyone have any suggestions or have ever been in the same boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,883,179 times
Do you know anyone else in the marketing industry you can talk to? Is it something you enjoy? In your shoes before you start looking for another job, figure out your own path. Not every company has a path laid out for you. Sometimes you make your own, sometimes the job is a stepping stone.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,523,897 times
Often you need to jump to a new employer to receive a substantial raise. It sounds like you're a skilled marketer and work in a very in-demand industry (healthcare). I have to believe there are plenty of health care providers that need to fill positions with your skill set.

See if there is an American Marketing Association chapter in your area. They are a great resource for networking and learning more about the profession.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:52 PM

4,387 posts, read 6,369,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1419 View Post

I've always teetered back and forth with the idea of getting into sales. But the fact that I have no sales experience, an "unknown" monthly income and possible having a product that is extremely hard to sell, SCARES the crap out of me.
If you're not developing your skillset in either new areas or becoming a deeper expert in your own area, your career by definition is not growing. Whether sales is the right next step for you is a personal decision. However, it is clear you're in a dead end job at your company. Why not make a change and find something that looks better? You may find out that sales is not for you, but you can always move on again to another company/role. People generally stay at a current company for 2-3 years nowadays.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,628,215 times
Quote:
I feel like I'm EXTREMELY underpaid for the skill sets I posses and the work I do.
This isn't exactly convincing though, see what the area pays for the same position. Just because you "feel" like you should get more doesn't automatically mean you "should" get more. You could be the best fry maker at McDonalds, and you'll still be making a low salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment