Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
Hello Folks,

So i just accepted a Part-Time IT position at a school, and the position is funded through a grant until sometime this Summer, my boss told me that the position is already in next year's budget and i should not worry about losing my job. meaning it is permanent.

Do you have any experience or knowledge about "Grant-Funded" positions? I would appreciate it if you share your knowledge!

Please note that this is in Massachusetts!

Thank you
Aydel

Accept the job but don't get too comfortable since the job doesn't appear to be stable going by the year to year contract. Most of my jobs were grant funded in the past and was always very stressful at the end of the fiscal year not knowing if I would still be employed. So just continue to see out more stable opportunities so that you won't have to deal with losing your job due to a funding issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Accept the job but don't get too comfortable since the job doesn't appear to be stable going by the year to year contract. Most of my jobs were grant funded in the past and was always very stressful at the end of the fiscal year not knowing if I would still be employed. So just continue to see out more stable opportunities so that you won't have to deal with losing your job due to a funding issue.
Did you even read the post? The position is moving from grant funding to operational funding over the summer.

Another piece of bad advice from FBJ.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:13 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Did you even read the post? The position is moving from grant funding to operational funding over the summer.

Another piece of bad advice from FBJ.
He asked people to share their experience with grant funded positions so I shared mine with some advice attached.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
You did more than share your history and advice. You made an erroneous statement by telling the OP that the position was not stable because of a year to year contract, then you compounded this error by giving advice based upon your error.

In fact, according to the OPs post the job is not going to be year to year grant funded (as an aside, many college grants run for 3-5 years), but is moving to the core budget.

This is an entirely different situation from the one in your head.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:15 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
Hello Folks,

So i just accepted a Part-Time IT position at a school, and the position is funded through a grant until sometime this Summer, my boss told me that the position is already in next year's budget and i should not worry about losing my job. meaning it is permanent.

Do you have any experience or knowledge about "Grant-Funded" positions? I would appreciate it if you share your knowledge!

Please note that this is in Massachusetts!

Thank you
Aydel

Just because the position is written into next year's budget does not mean that budget as it is currently written has been approved. No grant position is permanent until the position is made permanent by the employer and does not depend on a grant to fund the salary for that position.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:25 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just because the position is written into next year's budget does not mean that budget as it is currently written has been approved. No grant position is permanent until the position is made permanent by the employer and does not depend on a grant to fund the salary for that position.
That was the point I was making about grant positions since you just never know for sure if you will still be working.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:22 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
I'd check to see what the terms and conditions are from moving from grant to operations. Let's be frank here if you are then being budgeted they are more likely to treat it seriously. Check if you are going to be in a union because if you are the dues will start when it changes. Check the CBA if this is the case because that would tell you t he benefits. If you are not a in a union then bone up on negotiations.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM

265 posts, read 347,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You did more than share your history and advice. You made an erroneous statement by telling the OP that the position was not stable because of a year to year contract, then you compounded this error by giving advice based upon your error.

In fact, according to the OPs post the job is not going to be year to year grant funded (as an aside, many college grants run for 3-5 years), but is moving to the core budget.

This is an entirely different situation from the one in your head.
That is ok, I truly am very happy to have this experience added to my CV/Resume. Even if not a permanent position, who knows what offers I might be getting down the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment