Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:23 AM

599 posts, read 694,544 times

Advertisements

The job i have is stressful to say the least, long hours, and having to managed a building, being in charge of many employees. I just want my life back, my health back, my sanity back, and i'm almost at the end of my rope. I have been looking for jobs and sending out my resume but no response yet. Yesterday i almost had a mental breakdown. Having to deal with bosses that micromanaged every keystroke , every move you make, every task you do, is a bit extreme after dealing with this crap for over 6 years. I have tried to talk myself into staying for the money, but it's not worth it anymore, i'm willing to take less pay for a less stressful and demanding job, i can't do this anymore as a single parent, my child needs me, and she is suffering because of her mother's work choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,728 times
I have lots of times. But, my Wife always has had the "A" job in that situation. There was a period where we moved around the country quite a bit. Never in one state too long. I took McJobs just to get by. Not worth it to have a stupid job making your life miserable. I walked out of a lot of them when they become intolerable. Thats the good thing about McJobs, there is always another one out there. Im in job search mode right now, but I'll only leave this current job for another 'real' job.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:39 AM

48 posts, read 65,342 times
I was about to do it this month, however I don't recommend doing it unless you have a good skill **** which you are confident with. My first resume to a recruiter lead to seven interviews and the job offer within a week so it wasn't too bad, but I understand needing to get out of the situation.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 20,139 times
Definitely have quit before without anything lined up. It did not go very well, but it was for my health and I was silly enough (sarcasm) to put myself first. Unfortunately then my partner lost his job, so that put us in a pickle. But if it's for your health... you really have to decide if quitting will actually help your health. Will being broke cause more strain and stress and therefore damage your health more? Idk... it's all a matter of your personal situation. If I had to do it again, I would make sure to have something lined up.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:31 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
I have done this several times. You must first consider what to tell future employers at interviews why you left. The wrong answer could cause you to lose out on future jobs.

Do you have a plan for health insurance after you quit. This is either COBRA or insurance from a spouse or buy it outright via ACA site or an insurance agent or carrier web site. But you only have a 30 day window to buy this due to loss of job, so PLAN AHEAD. And make sure you have the funds to pay for this insurance until you land a new job.

Also make sure you have the money to pay bills/live for 1 year. Experts say 6 months. That's the minimum, IMO. What if it takes 10 months, you need the cushion.

If you are covered with all of the above, then I would resign now.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,699,610 times
I wouldnt recommend doing quitting until you have a new job. If you quit and cannot find a job quickly you may be even more stressed. I quit a job I hated before but had my husbands income to help us survive till I found new job.

if you financially can survive at least 6 months without work, you could maybe do it but its risky not knowing if you will find a decent job again fast.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:24 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,109,517 times
Yes, when I was 17 working at a retail store and living home with parents without rent or bills to pay. Definitely not as a independent adult with rent to pay because I would have to move to a roomier place called "Outside"

Old 04-05-2015, 12:30 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,599,846 times
Have you communicated your frustrations to your superiors? Maybe you could find a solution.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,505,827 times
I did quit a job --- when it went beyond every boundary I had.... but I did also know that I could get a job at the "temp pool" quickly and 'survive'...... what they did was just too much, however, it was in better economic times. I did quit, and I found a 'temp pool' at a university, from which I retired 19 years later. I didn't plan that, it just happened that way, to my benefit. The 'temp pool' I found was at the university, and I ended up staying in the same dept of my first assignment for all 19 years. Likely uncommon.

However, I couldn't 'live with' what was going on at my former employer. It was REALLY bad. Crossed all of my boundaries.

If you are not yet at that level of dislike, I recommend looking while keeping present job - if at all possible.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,228,028 times
I did just that 25 years ago. Quit, moved , remarried and so glad I did. I can't say there were no problems but everything did work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment