Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times

Advertisements

I have two bachelors degrees and i work the graveyard shift at a customer center call center.

there is NO opportunity for advancement. i absolutely HATE what i do. the only thing i kinda like is most of my coworkers are pretty cool.

on the graveyard shift it's just me and a 'senior' who acts as the lead on the graveyard shift.

the last time a promotion to this senior position came up the girl who was doing what i'm doing got the promtion. she is like 23 with only a H.S. diploma and just a couple years of customer service experience.

when she left the position, I applied for it, and not only was i never interviewed. they hired someone from outside the company, which is very rare for a position like this, because they have to be trained in on ALL levels before they get trained on the senior duties.

this guy had lots of call center experience, but NO degree.

not only do i have two bachelors degrees, i have experience being in management at a factory, being a supervisor at a group home for disabled adults, and about 10 years of customer service experience.

these positions RARELy open up and everyone else who has a leadership position here has been here for at least ten years and aren't quitting.

the other departments in this call center are ALL things that i wouldn't even want to do.

I really want to either go to grad school or go teach english abroad for a year and THEN go to grad school.

my other option is to move to the biggest city in the state (fargo) which is an hour away and look for a better company to work for there.

I don't know for sure what i want to do, but i feel like a LOSER that i can't even get a simple promotion to sit behind a counter and watch over ONE person, when young girls can.

I did my job satisfactory and even came in for people when they were sick etc.

I am just so mad and feel so hurt about this i feel like putting in my notice and quitting ASAP.

i do have rent to pay for and food etc. I am trying to think of a way to get a loan to cover expenses for as long as i can.

My state has LOTS of jobs because the unemployement rate is at about 3 PERCENT. north dakota has lots of jobs.

what should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 AM

840 posts, read 1,146,598 times
Forget about getting a loan. Build up a financial cushion first.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
Forget about getting a loan. Build up a financial cushion first.
how? the most i can afford to save after expenses is between 200-300 dollars a month. i guess i could save for like a year and then quit.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
You're working graveyard shift so you can be available for daytime interviews. Find a new job first and then quit. If you are already engaged in a job search, what makes you think it will be easier to find something if you quit? And if you aren't, you should be - it's more productive than complaining.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:48 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
this guy had lots of call center experience, but NO degree.

not only do i have two bachelors degrees, i have experience being in management at a factory, being a supervisor at a group home for disabled adults, and about 10 years of customer service experience.

these positions RARELy open up and everyone else who has a leadership position here has been here for at least ten years and aren't quitting.

the other departments in this call center are ALL things that i wouldn't even want to do.

I really want to either go to grad school or go teach english abroad for a year and THEN go to grad school.

my other option is to move to the biggest city in the state (fargo) which is an hour away and look for a better company to work for there.

I don't know for sure what i want to do, but i feel like a LOSER that i can't even get a simple promotion to sit behind a counter and watch over ONE person, when young girls can.

I did my job satisfactory and even came in for people when they were sick etc.

I highlighted the parts that I feel are really the problem.

First, the lack of degree does not matter. If he has the experience, knowledge and is a high performing employee then he deserves where is is at. You put to much weight into a degree.

Second, you have to much pity for yourself. Look at the big picture, if you do then you will be more succesful.

Third, you have to be more then satisfactory to get anywhere in a job. You can have a Doctorate and still not get promoted because you are performing at a "satisfactory" level.

Last edited by Momotaro; 11-10-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You're working graveyard shift so you can be available for daytime interviews. Find a new job first and then quit. If you are already engaged in a job search, what makes you think it will be easier to find something if you quit? And if you aren't, you should be - it's more productive than complaining.
OP - Listen to this.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
Do not give up what u already hv unless u find a better one.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
The job you are doing and the job you applied for do not require a college degree, so it is not surprising that it didn't give you the bonus points you thought it would. If there are plenty of jobs, how about trying to get one that expects or requires a degree? As stated above, if you work nights you have plenty of time during the day to interview.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM

29,800 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I don't blame you for wanting to quit but.... How long can you survive on your savings? Going into debt is slavery, and should be avoided at all costs. I'm sure you've got enough as it is with the 2 degrees. Problem with having a job is, your restricted to job searching in your local area, but never hurts to take a peak at whats available abroad. Continuing to work the night and job search during the day would be my recommendation. If you can pay your bills on what you earn, and still have enough to save a little, your doing better then a whole lot of people these days though. Do keep that in mind.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Dude, you live in the Dakotas! Not even in the largest city near you! Ever see Sam Kennison's rant about the arabs in the desert and how we should quit sending food? The one where he says we should send U-Hauls and make one move and move them all to civilization......

Move the people TO the food, or in this case, the jobs....christ, you could at least come South, thaw out, and make the same with a higher quality of life and some real advancement opportunities as well as the opportunity to go to grad school.

As my Father used to say regarding the college grads who could not get a job in the rust belt, dying town I grew up in way back when, "they just can't cut the damn umbilical cord"......

One word, MOVE....and I don't mean a few hours away...get out of your comfort zone, try going to a state with over a few million living in it....I hear and feel you but, you have to meet the rest halfway.....I know when most companies think about locating their companies somewhere, the Dakotas are not real high on the list, recent oil boom nothwithstanding......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment