Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:42 PM

659 posts, read 940,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
The argument I heard was due to attitudes where Y is less likely to stand out (participation trophy syndrome) and Z is willing to take charge due to having Gen X parents. I have no clue, but I thought it was interesting. They say Z will be managing or employing Ys in the future.
Hmmm I dunno. I'm a different case, I want to go above and beyond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:01 PM

223 posts, read 321,365 times
Quote:
The argument I heard was due to attitudes where Y is less likely to stand out (participation trophy syndrome) and Z is willing to take charge due to having Gen X parents. I have no clue, but I thought it was interesting. They say Z will be managing or employing Ys in the future.
Sounds like a load of you-know-what. Not all children of boomer parents were coddled, and not all children of Gen X will have a take-charge attitude.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:59 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Mom's part of the boomer generation. No degree, no training. Started as a travel agent at a budding start-up about 20 years ago in NYC. She started at $40,000, a decade later, is making $120,000 a year plus renting out 3 houses, sold 2 and banked $80,000.... not to mention my step-dad's salary which combined meant about $200k for the year.

Now? Step-dad's retired, she lost the houses due to foreclosure and is in huge debt... however, she's STILL making close to $100,000 a year. Still no degree, of course she had training since she stayed. Only difference is that she's now in AZ where $100,000 goes further.

So yes, boomers CAN walk into a job with NO DEGREE AND NO TRAINING and end up making six figures
Um....no

Who specifically need a travel agent in 2015?

How exactly can you be in debt and still be making 100K and not paying things off? Either she's smart or she isn't.. How can you have 120k income and rent out three houses and yet be in debt?

That tells me that she doesn't know how to manager herself as she had no degrees in finance, accounting or business.

Can it be argued that boomers had things easier? Sure of course that's discounting African Americans (pre civil rights), those that are disabled (pre ADA), women (pre roe vs wade), gays (pre stonewall to probably today), ever vet that served etc. We didn't even recognize what hispanic and latino were until the early 70's.

Your argument is on the basis of timing, not currently reality. No one in their right mind is going to make 40k and 10 years later 120k being a travel agent. No one really needs them now. From 2000 to 2012 the number of agents declined 50% The Travel Agent Industry: Disappearing or Evolving? | The Surety Bond Blog | JW Surety Bonds

I can get maybe using one if you had a large trip overseas but these days companies set that up..heck so do universities. For domestic travel what is the point as anyone can go to travelocity or priceline and get a hotel and airfare price pretty efficiently.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
Mom's part of the boomer generation. No degree, no training. Started as a travel agent at a budding start-up about 20 years ago in NYC. She started at $40,000, a decade later, is making $120,000 a year plus renting out 3 houses, sold 2 and banked $80,000.... not to mention my step-dad's salary which combined meant about $200k for the year.

Now? Step-dad's retired, she lost the houses due to foreclosure and is in huge debt... however, she's STILL making close to $100,000 a year. Still no degree, of course she had training since she stayed. Only difference is that she's now in AZ where $100,000 goes further.

So yes, boomers CAN walk into a job with NO DEGREE AND NO TRAINING and end up making six figures
Like i said above about new jobs, she joined a startup, new career field with no prior training for it.

Whats to stop you from making a startup and being a travel agent to space? Oh wait, you thought college could teach you that? College only teaches whats been done before, not whats coming into existance.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
Sounds like a load of you-know-what. Not all children of boomer parents were coddled, and not all children of Gen X will have a take-charge attitude.
And not all boomers fell into 6 figure jobs with no training or education.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And not all boomers fell into 6 figure jobs with no training or education.
That doesn't matter. Those living in victimhood have their feet firmly planted and they are not going to let go of their anger, rage, and falsehoods no matter how many facts or how much common sense you try and inject into the discussion.

They cannot admit THEY are the problem. Not their parents. Not their degree. Not their manager. Not the babyboomers. Not the company they work for. It's them. They fail because of who they have chosen to be. Most of us wouldn't hire them.

Twenty years from now you'll see the same people posting about the unfairness of it all.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:23 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
I consider Millennials to be born from about 1983 to 1998 or so. People born in the early eighties are a little bit old fashioned because they were well aware of the '80s and already adults by the time the 90s were over. I was born in 1990 and I relate well to people born between 1983 and '89 but people born in 1982 and before seem like younger versions of my parent's generation. They were born in the late 50s/early 60s.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 AM

659 posts, read 940,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Um....no

Who specifically need a travel agent in 2015?

How exactly can you be in debt and still be making 100K and not paying things off? Either she's smart or she isn't.. How can you have 120k income and rent out three houses and yet be in debt?

That tells me that she doesn't know how to manager herself as she had no degrees in finance, accounting or business.

Can it be argued that boomers had things easier? Sure of course that's discounting African Americans (pre civil rights), those that are disabled (pre ADA), women (pre roe vs wade), gays (pre stonewall to probably today), ever vet that served etc. We didn't even recognize what hispanic and latino were until the early 70's.

Your argument is on the basis of timing, not currently reality. No one in their right mind is going to make 40k and 10 years later 120k being a travel agent. No one really needs them now. From 2000 to 2012 the number of agents declined 50% The Travel Agent Industry: Disappearing or Evolving? | The Surety Bond Blog | JW Surety Bonds

I can get maybe using one if you had a large trip overseas but these days companies set that up..heck so do universities. For domestic travel what is the point as anyone can go to travelocity or priceline and get a hotel and airfare price pretty efficiently.
Ask and ye shall receive answers!

1) Who needs a travel agent in 2015? Corporations and big-time clients. My mother's company is an international company that directly works with airlines (any). East Coast, her clients were CEOs, lawyers, Presidents/V. Presidents of companies, etc. She dealt with such huge companies like Nike, Broadway, Wall Street, and so on. West Coast (now), her clients are: models, game industries like EA and Blizzard, actors, actresses, movie directors, basically Hollywood, and Silicon Valley. These corporations and big-name clients (Mr. Trump anyone?) needs travel agents such as like my Mom to book trips under pseudo-names to protect identity (like Mrs. Spears for example), or to make the travel arrangements as seamless as possible.... that means booking limos, restaurants, working with hotels and airlines, etc. Mom and her fellow employees pretty much do everything except maybe roll out the red carpet.

2) Doesn't know how to manage herself. That's ABSOLUTELY correct! I knew back in 2005 that it was only a matter of time before the housing market will crash. I begged her to sell all of her houses since she got offers, but she got greedy. A $10,000 profit from one house for example "wasn't enough". She was holding out for the big offers like that $80,000 profit she got awhile before. Well, that was her downfall. Her houses devalued a lot, she was renting them but at a loss. While her tenants paid her $1,400 a month for rent as is the market price, Mom was forking over the difference per month to the banks. Finally she allowed them to foreclose on the properties. She still owes money. The sad thing is that she's the one with all this debt and credit card debt, I only have a measly $38,000 student loan debt while hers are like 10x the amount.... and yet SHE tells ME I am irresponsible with my money

3) Before she worked at that company, she was part of a failing travel business with my Dad because Dad sucked at managing the business. Before that, well, she worked at a grocery store having *just* moved to America seeking political asylum with her parents. Luckily they chose NYC because New Yorkers back then were okay with you not knowing a lick of English.... NYC is comprised of many immigrants with businesses especially with broken or no English after all. So she was a new immigrant, not knowing America that well, knew a bit of English enough to translate for her parents, and going to college for Psychology which she dropped out because she was pregnant with me. I think Mom was a valuable asset to her company because she knew a lot of languages (6 of them, now she only knows some fluently).... however, like I said, this was NYC, a lot of immigrants from other countries knew a lot of languages too. Either way, she said that if it wasn't for her boss taking a chance at her for being a new mom in a different country, she wouldn't have ever gotten that job at that start-up.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:

So you have Mommy issues holding you back. I get it.

And . . your Mom apparently walked into a job making 40K - not 100K. Bit of a difference there, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That doesn't matter. Those living in victimhood have their feet firmly planted and they are not going to let go of their anger, rage, and falsehoods no matter how many facts or how much common sense you try and inject into the discussion.

They cannot admit THEY are the problem. Not their parents. Not their degree. Not their manager. Not the babyboomers. Not the company they work for. It's them. They fail because of who they have chosen to be. Most of us wouldn't hire them.

Twenty years from now you'll see the same people posting about the unfairness of it all.
It's sad, really. There comes a point when you have only yourself to blame. I realized that in my twenties. You know, right when I walked into that dream job making $100,000 a year.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,145 times
Quote:
Expect an up-tick in crime. Generation Y got completely screwed and is projected to face generational poverty. Managers will treat older people as less desirable if they don't have better experience. Normally, older people do have better experience, but when they got screwed by graduating into a terrible economy, they face an uphill battle for the rest of their life.

I had to create multiple companies to work my way out of the poverty that people wanted to hand me. I had so many managers that thought I should just be happy making minimum wage and putting up with their crap. This is an economy where only the brightest or the most connected from generation Y can get ahead. I pity those fools now, as I make more than any of those managers. Thank God I got out of Iowa. That place really delivers awful wages and arrogant managers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment