Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:47 PM

491 posts, read 474,633 times

Advertisements

In my mind it's just rude to live in a country without making at least some effort (even if you fail) to learn the language. To me it's just common courtesy, unless you're elderly and unable to remember/learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:48 PM

897 posts, read 1,187,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvader View Post

The biggest flaw with my degree is the fact it isn't "career specific" :P
therefore im ideally suited for plenty of careers, but not geared towards a specific one (like nursing and educational students tend to be).
This can be a flaw or a strength. My degree isn't particularly specific when it comes to having just a BS in it, but that means it can fit or be molded into a variety of different careers. I wouldn't see it as a flaw, especially given the fact that it means you can be more versatile in where you decide to go and what to do with your career. It's just the 'getting in' part that's the hardest.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,961 times
I am not sure why you majored in Social Science, if you weren't planning on teaching? Yes, look up "Teach for America". They will take you, if you have a bachelor's degree. I think you teach at an inner city school or the like for 2 years, and then you have your teaching credential. There isn't much you can do with a liberal arts degree, other than teach. Teaching is a great and meaningful job. And if teaching in the inner city isn't your deal, then you can switch to a different district or teach at a private school, once you have your credential.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,095,824 times
So you are like $150,000 deep?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,836,491 times
You need to get to a decent sized city with a good job market, ASAP, just to get crucial experience. Leaving sounds like your only choice.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:53 PM

605 posts, read 677,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
I would think twice about working overseas. It could really affect (negatively) the way future potential employers view you.
Actually most employers would consider people who have worked overseas positively especially for large companies with overseas operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
Why is it a bad thing to work overseas? I'd really like to know why. I imagine in some jobs it would be a great asset.

Teaching English in Korea was something suggested to me, but I simply don't feel comfortable residing in a country where I don't speak the language and the last thing I want is to add to the stereotype of the dumb monolingual american (I studied Spanish). Plus, I'd rather be there for pleasure, not work, with a basic grasp of Korean. *shrug*

I also wonder how you can teach English when you don't even speak the native language of the people you're teaching...
They are not really looking for someone who is fluent in Korean, they are just looking for native English speakers so the students can practice and further improve their English speaking abilities.

Last edited by beasley106; 02-16-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,280,176 times
Do you have a resume? There are resume formats for students with no work history that you can search for online. The resumes I have seen included anything from leadership roles in student groups to volunteer positions.

Some companies may only want to see where you actually worked for pay, but if you get a nice resume together and drop it off to any small company you can think of or walk into, that could work. Some walk-in types of business would be tax offices, medical offices, small law firms, etc.

In other words, don't wait to see a job posted online. Actively go out and either drop your resume off, fax it with a cover letter, or put a mailing together snail-mail. This might seem really old-school, but I have seen this work even in NYC (only for low-wage jobs in places like mom and pop businesses, though).

Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,830,407 times
I know several people who are recent college grads who are teaching English in different Asian countries. They made 2 year commitments to teach and are paid enough to afford decent housing, food, expenses, and travel within the area when school is not in session. It's a great opportunity.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,830,407 times
Oh, and I would teach English before I worked a fast food or retail job. With teaching English, you are building a resume and gaining valuable experience. With fast food, you are earning minimum wage alongside 16 year olds. Unless you want to go into fast food management....

Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,836,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I know several people who are recent college grads who are teaching English in different Asian countries. They made 2 year commitments to teach and are paid enough to afford decent housing, food, expenses, and travel within the area when school is not in session. It's a great opportunity.
A good friend of mine's sister did this in South Korea. She still has no decent job after coming back stateside a year after the teaching concluded. It is no guarantee, nor does it even appear to be that helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment