Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,200,501 times

Advertisements

It is difficult to get a job while working for sure, but sometimes it's important. If you know that time is running out for you - poor performance review, political issues, starting to feel isolated and cut off, etc. then you should get aggressive and start making things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:12 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,801,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post

Maybe it's easier to get a INTERVIEW when you have another job but definitely not easier to get another job.

Agree or Disagree?
Disagree. When you have a job, it makes a more attractive candidate than if your unemployed. Kinda along the same lines where women find men more attractive if they are in a relationship. If someone one else wants them, I want them too. When your unemployed (or single in the girl example) your somehow less desirable, something must be wrong with him if no one else wants him.

When you have a job, you can wait longer for the right opportunity to come along, your not under the gun to get something before your unemployment runs out. While it's true interviewing is tougher, so long as your not pursuing too many jobs in a short period of time, you can usually work your schedule around interviews with sick days, vacation days, telling your boss you have leave early to take your child to the doctor, etc.

Unemployed people have less bargaining power when it comes to countering a low salary job offer.

Source:
http://web.stanford.edu/~rehall/Hall..._Sept_2008.pdf

Last edited by TechGromit; 12-31-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,444,595 times
I had to take "dr's appts" and "sick time" in my last job when applying to my current one as we all do. When I put in my two weeks my manager straight up said "I thought you were applying to jobs, you've never called in sick in two years then suddenly got sick about two weeks apart."

Its all part of the game I suppose.

We even have a running joke in my current office that if someone has an appointment or calls in sick people say "Guess (s)hes at an interview."

Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,145,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Disagree. When you have a job, it makes a more attractive candidate than if your unemployed. Kinda along the same lines where women find men more attractive if they are in a relationship. If someone one else wants them, I want them too. When your unemployed (or single in the girl example) your somehow less desirable, something must be wrong with him if no one else wants him.

When you have a job, you can wait longer for the right opportunity to come along, your not under the gun to get something before your unemployment runs out. While it's true interviewing is tougher, so long as your not pursuing too many jobs in a short period of time, you can usually work your schedule around interviews with sick days, vacation days, telling your boss you have leave early to take your child to the doctor, etc.

Unemployed people have less bargaining power when it comes to countering a low salary job offer.

Source:
http://web.stanford.edu/~rehall/Hall..._Sept_2008.pdf
Well explain how I got a job after being unemployed for 11 months?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:06 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,804,443 times
It's obviously easier to get one when you have one but I don't think not having one would disqualify you right away. You have to show that you still have relevant knowledge or work history.

Many years ago I was let go due to re-org and took 4 months off and was able to find work. Interviewing was more difficult but I still had enough relevant knowledge for companies to want to interview me and give me a chance.

The only issue is that your bargaining power for negotiating salaries won't be as good when you don't have one. The past few interviews I basically walked off at the 2-3rd rounds when I asked for more $$ but they didn't agree with so I walked off back to my current job.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:05 AM

4,360 posts, read 7,278,186 times
I've had interviews where I was in and out within an hour, and I've had others that took almost the entire day, for the same type of job.

You just don't know what you're up against when you walk into an interview, so I find it's best to schedule an entire day off, assuming the interview is scheduled in the morning. Sometimes it's just a brief interview with the hiring manager, especially if there are multiple candidates scheduled for interview that day. Other times, you interview with HR, the manager, a senior staff member, the department head, then back to HR, where you are given a written test, and upon completion, sent to a clinic for a drug screening. I had one interview just like that one time, where I didn't get to eat lunch (ended up being more like dinner) until late in the afternoon. Never got an offer from them.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,844,210 times
Quote:
Because you got lucky, your extended unemployment benefits were ending and you HAD to find something. For months before that you were constantly trying to find ways to cut your expenses since you'd put no money aside for that "rainy day". Don't make it out to be anything which proves your point as it doesn't.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM

6,598 posts, read 11,336,856 times
Quote:
No one said it was impossible. It's all relative. Assuming you were looking that entire time, it still took you 11 months to find your next job. Had you been employed, it may have taken just 11 days to find your next job.

Which goes back to your original point - the logistics issue your complaining about is only an issue if you are employed. Being unemployed doesn't necessarily make it better. You just end up with other (and likely worse) issues.

This is like saying being poor is better because the government won't take as much money from you...

Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM

403 posts, read 559,398 times
Quote:
Mainly because of trying to take off to go to interviews. So let's say a person is looking for a new job and they had to use to sick days to go on two interviews. What happens when you don't get that job and have another interview with another company? Call out sick again?

And it's no guarantee that someone will be able to interview after work hours or before work hours so that's why I never understood why so many say it's easier to get a job when you already have one. Atleast someone who is unemployed has nothing but time to go on as many interviews as possible.

Maybe it's easier to get a INTERVIEW when you have another job but definitely not easier to get another job.

Agree or Disagree?
You can't get a job without an interview so if it's easier to get an interview, then it's easier to get a job. It's up to you to decide whether to call in sick or not to be able to go to an interview. Obviously, if you're happy in your job, then you probably wouldn't be looking for a new one unless you found out in advance that the company would be closing or that your job would be eliminated.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,065,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

We even have a running joke in my current office that if someone has an appointment or calls in sick people say "Guess (s)hes at an interview."

Sounds like a lovely place to work at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment