Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,498,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I work early, get off early, have vacation, have sick time etc. so it's easy.
Same here.. one of the perks of working in Finance in Southern California when the markets are run on NY time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:16 AM

715 posts, read 1,235,260 times
It's definitely much easier to find a job when employed. I was unemployed for a year before finding my previous job. When my previous job was turning into a nightmare, I began looking. I received a lot more interviews in the 3 months I looked while at my previous job than when I was unemployed.

When I had to interview twice for the current job, my co-worker got suspicious, but he knew I was itching to leave. I was desperate to get out of that toxic place.

When it comes to my future and career, using any kind of PTO is worth it, even for a few hours in the morning or afternoon.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Why call in sick? Just use some vacation hours for interviews. I never ask my people why they want the time off, if they have PTO I don't care whether they use it an hour here and 2 hours there, or a week/two at a time.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
It's definitely much easier to find a job when employed. I was unemployed for a year before finding my previous job. When my previous job was turning into a nightmare, I began looking. I received a lot more interviews in the 3 months I looked while at my previous job than when I was unemployed.
Good point - I've always found that to be the case too but I've only been temporarily out of work twice in decades and the longest stretch was only a little over two weeks. I was a little surprised that the OP feels differently as he was out of work for 11 plus months not too long ago and even all that time on his hands didn't help.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 AM

62 posts, read 70,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The job interview better be up the block from your current office if you think you can squeeze it in during lunch hours, and considering most offices today are business casual and you need to dress up for the interview(a woman might be able to get away with what she has on, but a man needs a suit and tie), not logistically possible considering the time frame and having to change clothes.

And you can only have so many "Dr.appts" before people think you're looking for another job or there is something seriously wrong with you, which is not good in either case in a work environment.

It can be very tricky, especially these days when you may have to do 3 and 4 interviews for the same position.
For a guy, go to work with the suit pants and leave tie and jacket hanging in your car, if you don't have a car you will have to be creative, maybe leave the suit jacket and tie in the locker of a gym nearby or dry cleaners.

If you take time off for interviews just state it is for personal time and don't day anything else, anybody with a common sense should not be nosy and ask about personal business, I know there is a lot of people with no respect for privacy, so this people may need an it's none of your business answer.

The interviewer must be aware that you are taking time of your job to talk to him to be mindful that your schedule can just bend so much. Most of people on your current workplace and the next one changed jobs at one point of time, it is a normal thing. Of course you don't want people on your current workplace to think you want to leave in the case you stay.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,109,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
All the places i have worked had pre approved 2weeks vacation. But i have a white collar job & i guess you dont. lol
If your able to take off at the drop of a hat some may say you must not be that critical to the operation of the business you work at. Some jobs and some employees are critical and it needs to be planned in advance them taking a day off. Even in white collar jobs lol

Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,498,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If your able to take off at the drop of a hat some may say you must not be that critical to the operation of the business you work at. Some jobs and some employees are critical and it needs to be planned in advance them taking a day off. Even in white collar jobs lol
If you're that important, it's time to ask for a raise.. especially right after you get denied time off when asking for approval.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,048,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Are you sure you want to return to a unstable situation like that? I used to be with a company like that and after a while I got sick of being laid off and then called back
In the field I work in (energy/environmental) there is no such thing as job security. And i don't live like there is any job security (I'm frugal, no debt). Maybe someday I'll fall into a sweet public sector job. Until then I'll enjoy my blocks of time off.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:38 AM

307 posts, read 1,098,244 times
What I've done in the past is request to interview as late in the day as possible. I even had one offer to meet me on Saturday. If a perspective employer won't be flexible with an interview, do you really want to work there?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 AM

431 posts, read 600,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Many (if not most) employers understand the difficulty an applicant has scheduling interview time when currently employed and will work with the applicant to schedule a time either before or after normal working hours - or on weekends.
In the UK, I used to interview people after work all the time. Sometimes at the office, sometimes down the pub. In the US, my employers have insisted I interview during work hours. No idea why. It just limits the pool of candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment