Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You're allowed to say? Your husband is "over you for marriage and family choices"? This should be a long forgotten idea. Because it's a BAD idea. In fact, it's an idea I would expect from an insane group like ISIS or the like. If your spirit has been crushed to the point that you find this nonsense acceptable, I think the damage might be irreparable. Marriage slavery is terrible when observed in a savage neanderthal theocracy. But in a country like America, it's an obscenity. An affront to humanity.
Her beliefs are based on the followings of her religion. No need to insult her for living life the way she's chosen to live it.

Ohky, I do think you should probably be aware that most of the population does not feel as you do, so getting on a forum and proclaiming that the wife should do as the husband wishes is not going to go over well in a country where women have fought for equal say, equal pay and equal rights. Just because this is your belief doesn't make it right for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Love doesn't pay the bills

Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Her beliefs are based on the followings of her religion. No need to insult her for living life the way she's chosen to live it.

Ohky, I do think you should probably be aware that most of the population does not feel as you do, so getting on a forum and proclaiming that the wife should do as the husband wishes is not going to go over well in a country where women have fought for equal say, equal pay and equal rights. Just because this is your belief doesn't make it right for others.
I wasn't insulting her personally, just the behavior. I think chosen subservience is irrational and self-negating. I think it is an horrific way to waste the only life you get. And the fact that it comes from religious belief does not excuse it.

I believe the old custom of a wife "submitting" to a husband in order to achieve material comfort is akin to spiritual prostitution. It's not a fitting lifestyle for a human being, man or woman, then or now.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,123 times
Ideally I would choose both.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,881 times
Tough decision. Remember though, marriage is as much about commitment and responsibility as it is about love, if not more. It's a bit of a social contract that is really hard to get out of. Half of marriages end up in divorce, and divorce isn't healthy for either party. It's harder to marry another person than to live another person. Don't rush into this.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:23 AM

212 posts, read 689,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's a complicated situation but in brief:
- my gf wants to get married by the end of 2015. I'm still kind of unsure & have become used to being independent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Stop right there. Don't get married.
Exactly. I didn't even read past that first bullet point.

If you wanted to get married, OP, you'd feel it in your bones. If this girl was "The One", there wouldn't be this "should I/shouldn't I?" debate, and you really wouldn't be here on a message board asking a group a strangers to help you decide.

Stuff like this is why the divorce rate is sky high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment