Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM

155 posts, read 136,189 times

Advertisements

Completely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM

155 posts, read 136,189 times
Absolutely. The amount of upper managers who are slackers blows me away. They just hire more people to do their jobs and the more people they supervise, the more money they make.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'm just going to sit back and see how many people prove my point (and MPowering1s point).

I'd like to say it was G-fused's point, which we just built on, and so far, all are proving your point!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 PM

94 posts, read 116,648 times
1. Good personality.
2. Good looks.
3. Right place at the right time
4. you might only think they are incompetent.
5. Good communication skills
6. High self-esteem
7. They are always positive and don't compare themselves to others.
8. They compete against themselves vs. others

Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Over the years I have probably said or thought all of the above. And there is an element of truth in all of it.

But I think I finally figured it out. Too late for me but perhaps some of you can still use it to your advantage.

They will promote the person they believe will make THEIR job easier.
I agree with this. ^^^ I have been on both sides, and I have seen, heard and "felt" it all. I've been promoted to manager/supervisor roles many times over 30 years and I've been turned down for these promotions as well. Whenever I have been promoted, it's been because of a good balance of competence and interpersonal skills. I don't honestly feel I've ever been a suck-up or got a job because of someone I know. When I've been turned down for a promotion, of course I've jumped to all sorts of conclusions as to why they didn't pick me (the person they chose was a suck-up, a brown-noser, the boss's cousin, a lackey in their current job, all the reasons you've all noted in these posts). Hiring decisions are based on a broad range of reasons--most of which no one other than hiring deciders really know. However, the grapevine and gossip mill is a powerful thing in the workplace. Years ago, after being turned down for a promotion that lined up perfectly with my background, experience and skillset---this young, just-out-of-college guy got the job. As it turns out, he grew up across the street from the hiring director and he was brought into the company through a mangement/mentoring program, and that job was slated for him looooong before it even became vacant. Just one example. Oh, do I have the stories!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:51 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'd like to say it was G-fused's point, which we just built on, and so far, all are proving your point!
Thanks for the shout out!

Most are just envious of supervisors and need to validate themselves. I know because it used to be me...I'm not perfect and used to moan and get angry that my superiors were bumbling idiots. Had I focused my energy into other things, maybe I'd be better off today. I'm doing ok but can always do better.

I went on a trip with my mom when I was in my 20's and not making the living I thouht I should be. She paid for the trip and we rented a car. Big Ford Explorer. This thing was amazing. I loved driving it and all the cool stuff it had and the leather seats! Man, I was super impressed with it. When my mom needled me about my work circumstances (which weren't great) and the fact that I wasn't close to affording that type of car, I shot back with saying that I hated the car and wouldn't get it if I could. And I was happy not to be able to afford it because it sucked gas, was bad for the environment, i didn't need it to feel good about myself, etc. It was pure BS. I was 20 something, I did want it, desperately. But I came off sounding as if it stunk and that people who drove those kinds of cars were morons. I was the moron.

Same kind of thing here. The OP isn't in mgmt and ridicules and insults those that are, all the while desperately wanting to be there. If he were more successful, he wouldn't be saying how bad it is to work in an office. Again, I know because I've been there. I confronted my own feelings of inadequacy and dealt with them. I'm a happier and more satisfied person now that I know a little more about what drives me and makes me feel the way I do. I don't expect the OP to be super successfull but he should try to understand why he doesn't enjoy working in an office. It's likely not working in an office that's the problem, it's just that he's not doing as well in that environment as he'd like. If he had a stable permanent position with benefits, a salary that sustained normal life and where he could save some $, etc. I have a feeling the complaints would dissipate.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Seriously, I've seen so many managers,supervisors, etc. that should not be in the position they have but people who actually deserve it are left on the sidelines. You can be the best for the job but if you're not in the "buddy club" all bets are off. If I were a manager I would never promote someone as a "favor" or because I "liked" them but this is the kind of nonsense corporate office puppets live on. I would say 1/10 have I seen someone who truly deserved the role got it. Other times it was nepotism, managers buddy, or some backstabbing D-bag. Just another reason to leave the office folks. Merry Christmas.
In New York State government jobs all you have to do is keep your fly closed and be good at taking tests.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
LOL: I work with, and manage smart people who are just like OP.

I hire those who have skills I don't. One point raised within this thread is puzzling to me: I'm not holding onto any information, as a manager, in the fear of working myself out of a job. There are other jobs in the company, and even other companies. If I'm not migrating to something else, continuously, I'm not paying attention because our industry (software and service delivery, among other things) is constantly changing in response to myriad technology and social factors.

A few of the "geniuses" I manage are definitely smart cookies from external partners. They were hired because of their domain knowledge. My peers and I work on the strategy; I need those talented guys and gals to execute. And bless them for it. They don't have the bigger picture, nor do they need to to be very good at what they do. I can sense they sometimes are frustrated if everyone they work for doesn't understand every little nuance. Usually, I don't let it bother me: that's their job, after all.

Given sufficient time, it's human nature to somehow believe that management must be "dunces" who advanced due to "butt kissing" or whatever. Lots easier to blame others for our own failures to achieve, eh?

Was reminded of OP's point, in fact, recently when a bunch of these guys got together and gave a presentation indicating they really didn't well understand the delivery model and their place in it based on certain changes last quarter. That, then, behooves my peers and I to make that clearer; re-calibrate and align. Which we shall...it's an ongoing endeavor, as managers. It's when people actually believe they're "smarter" or "better" than "those dummies in management" that we start to chuckle.

One major difference is maturity level: few, if any, of us whisper how executive management should or should not do (whatever). There is a forum for influencing others, including executive management. When appropriate, (I, we) do so. Otherwise, maybe I'll just let them run the multi-billion dollar company and I'll execute on the executive plan of record (strategy) and find ways to add value for my group, eh?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:05 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
In New York State government jobs all you have to do is keep your fly closed and be good at taking tests.
And never question management.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Sometimes this happens, but in my experience, it is a combination of achieving results versus emotional intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment