Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:48 AM

62 posts, read 70,071 times

Advertisements

The least smart people are promoted, simply because they’re the ones you don't want doing actual work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Everyone is promoted to their level of Incompetence. You keep getting promoted till you are incompetent. Look at Rex Ryan.
If that was the case, he would have been fired as the New York Jets coach by now. Oh wait, it's the Jets... Ken Wisenhunt is the same way. Good to great coordinator but not a head coach unless he has the right players to make him look good.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Most think those above them (especially those in the management role) are incompetent. Many times it's a defense mechanism to make themselves feel more adequate becasue they have not achieved to that professional level.

And it's funny what passes for people thinking that someone else is incompetent. If a person disagrees with you, bam...that puts them in the incompetent columnn.

Paleeez. If OP was in management, he'd be complaining about how hard it is to find good help.

I agree. It's always the ones who aren't achieving that pipe up with how everyone who is achieving is greatly flawed, as though that would explain why they're not getting anywhere themselves.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I agree. It's always the ones who aren't achieving that pipe up with how everyone who is achieving is greatly flawed, as though that would explain why they're not getting anywhere themselves.

I just had to quote this again.

I'm not here for you.... I'm here for me. I get my job done to the best of my ability. Whether or not someone thinks I buddy up to my manager makes no difference to me. My manager likes me because I get my job done. If you're jealous of someone who does their job I think you just found the problem.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:59 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
9 times out of 10 they are in with the hiring manager and have his/her ear from what I have seen.. Very RARELY do I see the competent employee rise to the ranks of management unless they also have good political abilities. But most competent high performing employees, are too busy... ya know.. WORKING than sitting in the boss' office shooting the crap and licking his/her buttocks

Humans for the most part are idiots thus making most hiring managers (that are human) IDIOTS, so they can be easily persuaded by some smooth talking sociopath

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-22-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM

I'm just going to sit back and see how many people prove my point (and MPowering1s point).

Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
9 times out of 10 they are in with the hiring manager and have his/her ear from what I have seen.. Very RARELY do I see the competent employee rise to the ranks of management unless they also have good political abilities.

Humans for the most part are idiots thus making most hiring managers (that are human) IDIOTS, so they can be easily persuaded by some smooth talking sociopath
But what is the reason that these people have the managers ear? Sure, there are exceptions but isn't it mostly because these are the people that do a good job and in fact ARE competent?

Most places I've been, most people who are higher level are there because they've done a good job first and are well liked second. Doing a good job is a pre requisite.

Often, people have the opinion that those higher up are incompetent because they are not in their position. They don't know what the supervisor knows. They are looking at things through a different lense. That, and they are envious and need to justify why they haven't made it.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Another thing to look at is WHAT the employee's competency level involves. Sure, you may be the best analyst in the company, or the most efficient worker on the production line, but can you manage people? That is a completely different ball of wax and not many are cut out for it. On the flip side you may have an average employee who is very good at getting people to follow their lead and produce results that way. They may be better at being a manager than being in their current position.

My wife has a lady that works for her who is one of the best analysts the company has had in the past few years. However, I got to meet her at the company Christmas party last week and she has some serious people issues. She gets the job done effectively and efficiently, and makes the customers happy. From a customer perspective, she is excellent. Internally though, she is at the bottom of the ladder.

She is extremely rude and confrontational with her co-workers. The wife is trying to get that under control but rest assured she has all but guaranteed that she will never move into a management capacity with that company based off the attitude she gives her team. Managing people is difficult. Some just aren't cut out for it.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
In my younger years, before I was in management, I had a female friend who used to go off on these tangents about how much she hated certain people in the company because they were "goody two shoes" and "suck-ups". I was always confused by this but let her get it out of her system until one day I asked her what they were doing to be categorized that way. Her response was, "All they do is work, work, work, to try and look good to the boss and they go along with everything he says. It's sickening the way they suck up like that!"

It was then that I learned that for some dopes, all it takes is someone keeping their nose to the grindstone and not being gossipy and argumentative, in order to be classified as a suck up.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I just had to quote this again.

I'm not here for you.... I'm here for me. I get my job done to the best of my ability. Whether or not someone thinks I buddy up to my manager makes no difference to me. My manager likes me because I get my job done. If you're jealous of someone who does their job I think you just found the problem.
Your comments are out of the scope of the argument. Your boss may like you but he may also like you in that role and not want to lose you while the "f-up" you work with is good enough to get promoted. Being liked don't always equal promotions. Not enough companies believe in meritocracy. Hour's maybe and that is great but mine may not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment