Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 AM

17,463 posts, read 15,592,766 times

Advertisements

I have 2:

I worked at RaceTrac for 4 hours. Quit, and earned a check for $28.
I worked at Wal-Mart for 3 nights. Walked off. No regrets. (The manager said "You're burning your bridges with the company. You know you won't be able to get hired at ANY Wal-Mart from here on, right?" Oh, really? Boo-hoo! I don't even SHOP at Wal-Mart. Working there was the ultimate nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 AM

51,681 posts, read 25,934,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I have 2:

I worked at Wal-Mart for 3 nights. Walked off. No regrets. (The manager said "You're burning your bridges with the company. You know you won't be able to get hired at ANY Wal-Mart from here on, right?" Oh, really? Boo-hoo! I don't even SHOP at Wal-Mart. Working there was the ultimate nightmare.
So what was so nightmarish about working at Walmart that three nights was your limit?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So what was so nightmarish about working at Walmart that three nights was your limit?
I was using it as a second job. I made it very clear upon being hired. They promised me part-time, working every other night.
That wasn't the case.

-They had me schedule for 4 nights in a row, working 8.5 hour shifts; just enough to keep me under full-time status. This meant that for 4 consecutive says, I would literally get no sleep/rest, unlike what had been promised upon hire.

-The job sucked. Stocking is not for me. Not to mention, everything was extremely disorganized, from palette setups to workers.

-Drunk management

-Drugged-out co-workers

I could go on and on. It just was not for me.
Maybe some people like it?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,939,660 times
That was my experience working at low-end retail at places like Walmart. They basically want you to be on-call 24/7 day and night so it makes it hard to work another job. If Walmart paid enough to be a main job that would be different. And yeah, unless you were also drugged/stoned it wasn't a good experience at all. The "managers" have no real management qualifications at all other than being a promoted stocker or cashier.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:17 AM

51,681 posts, read 25,934,948 times
Here I've been reading that Walmart type jobs are supposed to be entry level, foot-in-the-door, stipend-paying positions that prepare workers for full-time, living-wage employment.

instead it sounds like they are disorganized operations managed by drunks and drug-addled individuals. How will this ever prepare workers for living-wage employment?

Is it common for new employees at such establishments to resign within the first week or so?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 AM

1,570 posts, read 3,296,770 times
Seven weeks. I got a verbal job offer in my target state the same week I started a new job in my old state. It took about another 30 days to get the formal written offer, and then I gave notice. I felt bad about it. It was a good company, a good manager and good coworkers. If we had wanted to stay in our old state, I could have hung out there long-term.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Here I've been reading that Walmart type jobs are supposed to be entry level, foot-in-the-door, stipend-paying positions that prepare workers for full-time, living-wage employment.

instead it sounds like they are disorganized operations managed by drunks and drug-addled individuals. How will this ever prepare workers for living-wage employment?

Is it common for new employees at such establishments to resign within the first week or so?
It is for those who have some prior work experience in different fields.
Typically, WalMart is a bottom-of-the-barrel, desperation type of company to work for. (No offense to anyone who currently works there.) There are plenty of better companies to work for if one is seeking entry-level employment. Local grocery stores are typically a better alternative, and often offer some type of flexible scheduling to meet employee needs, such as college.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,081,648 times
About 3 hours.

It was my first day as a receptionist in a medical clinic. A patient came in around 9 a.m. and asked what time his appt was scheduled for; after I confirmed it was scheduled for 11 a.m., he was relieved and said he had a very important errand to attend to and would return at 11 a.m.

A coworker overhead this conversation and went to the back and told the physician. The physician came out to the front desk and in a loud and aggressive voice said, "Who the HELL do you think you are sending away one of my patients!!"

After I explained the situation, the doctor continued to chastise me in a very angry tone and then said, "I don't care how long anyone has to wait to see me, you should have told him his appointment was right now and made him wait!"

Not only was I embarrassed, but all of the patients in the waiting room were embarrassed as well.

I picked up my purse and walked out. . . end of that lousy job.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:48 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,759,725 times
Years ago I went to the office on my first day and was sitting there filling out the paperwork, when a former manager that I did not like nor get along with came walking through the offices. My new boss came into my office and asked me to come with him to introduce me to his new boss, who had just been brought on by the owner to replace the now former head of the sales department who was fired in between me being hired and me starting.

I asked if it was this guy, and when the manager confirmed it was, I said I quit and picked up my paperwork and headed for the door. When he stopped me I told him I would rather live under a bridge than work for that guy ever again.

Overall I was there about 45 minutes, although it worked out as I had a different job by that afternoon, and my former manager made the mistake of submitting a resume 3 months later to me, as he had already lost his job.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:07 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,850,282 times
I worked at an ice cream store for 1 day when I was 15. I couldn't get the whole soft serve thing down. It seemed ok for the first two hours of the shift. I was giving out mostly scoops and novelties. Then, a baseball team came in and wanted 16 soft serve cones. I did 2. One fells over. I gave the wrong change. I just left and walked home. My mom found me walking along the road. All my friends worked there so I always went back. The mangers were nice and told me if I wanted to pick up some afternoon shifts during the summer I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment