Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 AM

51,822 posts, read 26,180,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
As far as "sinking that low," however, keep in mind that there are times when some could use an extra few hundred bucks a week, and WalMart was just one of those places where getting a job was that easy. If ever I fall into that situation again, however, I think I'll just consider working a call center for a few weeks instead.
I remember reading in Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America how she was never officially offered employment at Walmart, but rather went from applicant to orientation with the drug test hanging over her head.

>>First you’re an applicant, then you’re an orientee, and gone is the intermediate time during which you know you have been offered the job and can negotiate with the employer as a “free agent.” The drug test “tilts the playing field even further,” Ehrenreich explains, “establishing that you, and not the employer, are the one who has something to prove.” It’s all a way of making sure the employee feels perennially “one down, way down, like a supplicant with her hand stretched out.”<<

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America Study Guide: Chapter Three: &ldquo;Selling in Minnesota&rdquo; Summary and Analysis | GradeSaver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,360,864 times
In college, I did telephone marketing for my school's alumni association. I hated it and I sucked at it as well, so I left after three months. I also quit a part-time retail job after 2 months due to relocation and just sheer misery.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,492,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I was using it as a second job. I made it very clear upon being hired. They promised me part-time, working every other night.
That wasn't the case.

-They had me schedule for 4 nights in a row, working 8.5 hour shifts; just enough to keep me under full-time status. This meant that for 4 consecutive says, I would literally get no sleep/rest, unlike what had been promised upon hire.

-The job sucked. Stocking is not for me. Not to mention, everything was extremely disorganized, from palette setups to workers.

-Drunk management

-Drugged-out co-workers

I could go on and on. It just was not for me.
Maybe some people like it?
Drunk managers, I can't testify one way or the other: drugged out co workers: nope!!!!!

Now I do understand stocking not being for everyone and yes, WalMart is not the best when it comes to scheduling. I know of others who have had the problem.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 AM

3,537 posts, read 7,838,412 times
Six weeks. I was hired by Verizon to support there call center. I had six weeks of paid training, but a condition of my employment I had to pass a test every two weeks. I passed the first two tests, failed the 3rd and last one. So out the door I went. I wasn't happy about losing that job, but I ended up at a far better place, the base pay is better and I enjoy my job a lot more. I would have been miserable at a call center with people yelling at me all day that there FIOS isn't working, but with incentives and overtime I would have been making over 100k a year.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Drunk managers, I can't testify one way or the other: drugged out co workers: nope!!!!!

Now I do understand stocking not being for everyone and yes, WalMart is not the best when it comes to scheduling. I know of others who have had the problem.
Just read about new scheduling software that predicts how many employees will be needed during certain times in retail operations. Unfortunately, it doesn't predict very far ahead of time, making it difficult if not impossible for employees to work other jobs, schedule family get togethers, etc.

As to co-workers on drugs, unless a company is testing pretty consistently, I suspect this is going on more than most folks believe.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Was talking this topic over with a neighbor. He said that he got a job at a college early in his IT career. But another job came through that he'd interviewed for, so he quit going into the college job. Said he got several paychecks before they realized he was gone.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM

17,770 posts, read 15,976,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Just read about new scheduling software that predicts how many employees will be needed during certain times in retail operations. Unfortunately, it doesn't predict very far ahead of time, making it difficult if not impossible for employees to work other jobs, schedule family get togethers, etc.

As to co-workers on drugs, unless a company is testing pretty consistently, I suspect this is going on more than most folks believe.

Of course! And frankly, I don't particularly care what one does during their free time. What BOTHERS me is when it is blatantly obvious, and when it affects work performance.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:23 AM

573 posts, read 594,247 times
1 hour and ten minutes. I was hired on as a cart pusher at Walmart when I was 19 and was told to go push carts during a thunderstorm with no help or supervisor. I was outside for about ten minutes, and after getting soaking wet and freaked out by all the lightning and the fact I was pushing metal carts, I ducked back inside. While inside, a better job I had applied for called me on my cell and asked if I could come in for an interview the next morning. I said, "Of course." and proceeded to simply leave without clocking out or anything. I just threw my vest down by the carts. I had the other job for two years so I would say it was a good decision.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,241,595 times
Many years ago I was hired at a Bubble Gum factory. Went to lunch and have not been back since.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 AM

35,363 posts, read 31,849,501 times
I quit a grocery store after a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment