Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,002 times

Advertisements

Did I miss some memo that it has become acceptable for women to wear short skirts, plunging neckline blouses, and those black legging things in an office??? (my office is a notch above business casual yet still not "formal"). Yet if you're a male and you forget your tie or have a hint of facial hair you might as well get ready for a lecture.

Its so funny how women get by so easy in the workplace simply by dressing like they just came off a corner. I was at this place the other night where a formal event was being held (I wasn't attending just happen to be in the area) and just from observation I would say about 50-60% of the women were dressed like they were going to a club while all the men were in nice suits. Hmm oh well I guess I just didn't realize dressing like a H****r is now considered "formal".

p.s.- For what its worth I'm not even what I would consider "conservative"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
If a tie and a clean shave are required, you're more than a step above business casual.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Its so funny how women get by so easy in the workplace simply by dressing like they just came off a corner. I was at this place the other night where a formal event was being held (I wasn't attending just happen to be in the area) and just from observation I would say about 50-60% of the women were dressed like they were going to a club while all the men were in nice suits. Hmm oh well I guess I just didn't realize dressing like a H****r is now considered "formal".

Same here at my office...

However, as a single guy in my early 30's, I like that look. So i don't care.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
I'm seeing more and more headshots on linkedin where so-called young professional women are showing as much as they can. I don't see how they can be taken seriously by anyone.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here at my office...

However, as a single guy in my early 30's, I like that look. So i don't care.
I was waiting to see how long it would take. Yeah I get it I mean yes some girls are "hot" I don't deny it..but its a workplace not a club.

Nothing turns me off more than a business with a nice professional look yet all the employees are wearing jeans. Like just wear a button down at least.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I'm seeing more and more headshots on linkedin where so-called young professional women are showing as much as they can.

One thing that will always remain constant: Sex sells.(Or one's sexual appeal)

Old 12-16-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
One thing that will always remain constant: Sex sells.(Or one's sexual appeal)
I'm not saying let's all go back to wearing those ugly 1980's business suits with the knee length skirt and white blouse.

However, I do think this s*lutwear trend puts women back into the dark ages.

Can you think of one successful woman on a major board of directors, famous attorney or woman leading a large corporation who dresses like that?

It is not going to get them a wealthy husband either. Maybe wealthy husband for one day.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:26 AM

I see this in the ultra-conservative downtown financial district of Boston all the time now.

Women wearing the kind of skintight footless usually black leggings and sometimes patterned leggings that look like they should be worn to yoga class in place of a pair of slacks. Underneath a dress that is the length of a tunic blouse, occasionally a low cut blouse. Typically 5 or 6 inch pumps and some kind of big purse.

The men are still often in suit and tie.

The contrast is pretty obvious.

If the women get to dress like this, I give men the right to bring back the disco louie 70s look. All men wear low buttoned shirts with a big gold chain around their necks and some platform shoes for the professional look. Oh, and some polyester slacks too.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
I was waiting to see how long it would take. Yeah I get it I mean yes some girls are "hot" I don't deny it..but its a workplace not a club.

Nothing turns me off more than a business with a nice professional look yet all the employees are wearing jeans. Like just wear a button down at least.
Then what style of dress is appropriate in your opinion?

This?

Mod cut: Copyrighted image deleted.

I agree with you about the leggings, flip flops, etc not really being appropriate though.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-22-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM

The fashion designers and stores primarily cause this.

I went to find a dress in a department store the other day and I could not find one dress to buy other than the dress/tunic blouse length ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment