Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,882,056 times

Advertisements

^^ She has it right.

If a man's go-to business casual outfit is twill pants with a button down shirt, a woman's go-to business casual outfit is similar. Trousers or twill pants that fit right (just like the men should be wearing) a blouse or button down shirt. In cooler weather/offices, a guy could certainly add a sports jacket or sweater. Likewise, a woman can add a jacket or sweater.

Women do have more options. They can replace the tailored pants with a skirt that actually fits, or wear a proper dress instead of a skirt and blouse.

I think, perhaps, bolder colors and patterns are more casual than more "proper" shades in business attire. Overall, I believe proper fit is the key to looking more professional.

It's not that hard really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 03:47 PM

84 posts, read 100,331 times
Personally, I do best in a very casual atmosphere. Dress-down Fridays, when I can wear my blue-jeans and walking shoes are when I get the most work done. It's hard to concentrate on work when I'm not comfortable in my own clothes - when I have to worry about snagging my panty hose (yes, if I have to wear a dress, I'm wearing panty hose, too - absolutely, 100% - NO BEAR LEGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), or when I have to do a balancing act on uncomfortable heels that hurt my feet all day long, and slip off the backs of my heels when I walk because I have really, super small feet. Abso-freaking-lutely ridiculous!! And seriously - what's the point? Is it my job to "look professional" or to get my work done? I'm not a sales person, and I have very little (read almost zero) personal contact with anyone outside of my office on a normal work day. In my opinion, dress codes are for retail outlets, medical and dental offices, and the like - not manufacturing facilities. Get a clue, HR!!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,217,300 times
Default Sorry. Low hanging fruit. Bear Legs!?

Enuf said.

Or you could work in an office where ladies wear clothes that you would be ashamed to paint in and all-season flip-flops.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,391,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikalana View Post
Personally, I do best in a very casual atmosphere. Dress-down Fridays, when I can wear my blue-jeans and walking shoes are when I get the most work done. It's hard to concentrate on work when I'm not comfortable in my own clothes - when I have to worry about snagging my panty hose (yes, if I have to wear a dress, I'm wearing panty hose, too - absolutely, 100% - NO BEAR LEGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), or when I have to do a balancing act on uncomfortable heels that hurt my feet all day long, and slip off the backs of my heels when I walk because I have really, super small feet. Abso-freaking-lutely ridiculous!! And seriously - what's the point? Is it my job to "look professional" or to get my work done? I'm not a sales person, and I have very little (read almost zero) personal contact with anyone outside of my office on a normal work day. In my opinion, dress codes are for retail outlets, medical and dental offices, and the like - not manufacturing facilities. Get a clue, HR!!
Have you tried comfort dress shoes from somewhere like Clarks? or searching on Nordstrom? That's where I find most of my shoes, and I am a size 5.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:20 PM

23,582 posts, read 24,109,566 times
I enjoy when females dress nicely in the office! I usually work from home and this might encourage me to come to the office more often!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikalana View Post
Personally, I do best in a very casual atmosphere. Dress-down Fridays, when I can wear my blue-jeans and walking shoes are when I get the most work done. It's hard to concentrate on work when I'm not comfortable in my own clothes - when I have to worry about snagging my panty hose (yes, if I have to wear a dress, I'm wearing panty hose, too - absolutely, 100% - NO BEAR LEGS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Get a clue, HR!!
Bear legs...

Old 12-17-2014, 08:13 AM

17,282 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
bear legs...
lmao!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,557,387 times
tried wearing a kilt? then point to someone wearing a skirt and ask what's different?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:49 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
I notice this. I thank my lucky stars I work with creatives, because I don't have to restrict myself to formal wear. Sometimes I do have to go to a conference though, which means shopping hell.

And yes, clothing for professional women seems to prioritize displaying 'assets' rather than allowing the woman to be polished and comfortable so she can actually BE one.

IMO it's just another reflection of the notion that women are primarily decorations, not actual contributors.

I don't care. I refuse to dress like a hoochy mama in situations where I actually want to be seen as competent. It's enough being tall, skinny and blonde. I don't need to help people judge me more.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM

687 posts, read 617,598 times
I go to LOFT for business casual for women that doesn't give a "strumpet" vibe but is still more youthful. There really isn't an excuse that you can't find appropriate clothing... there are tons of classy clothes available for women if they look. But, I don't really care if other women show cleavage or wear a short skirt. That's between them and the employer.

The other day there were some pedestrians crossing the street in front of my car. They looked like college students attending a class trip. One young woman was in fishnet-like stockings, an extremely short leather skirt, pumps, a jacket and blouse, and red lipstick. A young guy was following behind her, in his baggy jeans and white t-shirt and baseball cap, trying to "flirt" with her by throwing a cup of water on her and giving her lascivious stares. None of the other females were dressed like her or treated like that while crossing the street.

I'm just tired of guys (and some women) thinking that the way a woman dresses is a reason to disrespect her, no matter the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment