Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:35 AM

49 posts, read 69,276 times

Advertisements

I got my offer . It's higher than I thought it would be and meets my minimum requirement but I still want to see if I can negotiate 5k-7k to be more comfortable accepting the job.

Tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:42 AM

709 posts, read 770,958 times
You could tell them that you researched the area a little more, and the cost of living is higher than you thought.

I wouldn't bring up any national salary averages. They have little meaning at the local level.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:44 AM

248 posts, read 261,282 times
Congrats OP! Where in Maryland will you be? I'm working in Columbia, MD right now.
I dunno how likely they would be to increase again after they went up so much from their initial offer, but it can't hurt to try.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:46 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,901,465 times
Congratulations! So glad to hear that things are working out for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
You could tell them that you researched the area a little more, and the cost of living is higher than you thought.

I wouldn't bring up any national salary averages. They have little meaning at the local level.
I respectfully disagree with this. I don't think the OP should say anything that makes him look ill-informed.

Just something simple like, "I was very happy to receive your offer, and I would be glad to work with you. I was wondering if there is any flexibility on the salary. The offer was for $X, but I was hoping for something more along the lines of $Y to justify the move."

Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 AM

3,535 posts, read 7,829,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcoder View Post
I got my offer . It's higher than I thought it would be and meets my minimum requirement but I still want to see if I can negotiate 5k-7k to be more comfortable accepting the job.

Tips?
I would be very careful with counter-offering, where I work now the job was offered to someone else, but they counter-offered for too much money. The company just moved on to the next candidate which was me instead of counter-offering. Depends on how bad they want you and how bad you need the job. If your currently unemployed, I'd just take there offer, if your employed right now, perhaps you can squeeze more money out of them. I could have gotten greedy and countered for a few more thousand dollars a year, but there offer was pretty good and I felt I couldn't take the risk of them not counter-offering.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,529,158 times
Foot in door. Experience on resume. If you feel confident ask them for 1-2K more because if they have nobody waiting it could cost them more to continue the search. If you feel there is competition than I would just accept and see how it goes. If you like the job you win. If you do not you get experience for your resume and can move on at some point.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone! I submitted a counter offer for 5k more than the original offer. Maryland taxes are nasty and the additional income would help.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:00 PM

872 posts, read 1,268,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcoder View Post
Thanks everyone! I submitted a counter offer for 5k more than the original offer. Maryland taxes are nasty and the additional income would help.
Congrats, and good luck!

Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM

Update: They came back 1.5k more. I am more than happy with that and am looking forward to being a Maryland resident.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM

398 posts, read 750,928 times
I wouldn't be too stressed, just wait it out and see what they offer. When I interview people for a mid-40's range job and ask what they are expecting and they say 35k, I still offer them the mid 40's mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment