Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:53 PM

35,633 posts, read 17,572,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Wait for the offer, first. If it's too low, state your case (using cost of living as your first justification for a higher salary).
Start the job at the agreed salary and reach agreement for review after 90 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,833,918 times
"The job is in a state and more specifically an area where the cost of living is high."

The employer is well aware of the cost of living in their area. They know they can't get good people at starvation wages. Negotiate based on your skills, experience and cost of living. Hey, they chose to locate in a high cost area.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 PM

8,111 posts, read 10,193,346 times
It is unlikely that they pay much, if any , attention to what you put in that block.

The position has a range, and if they offer you a job (which they haven't) the salary will fall within the range for that position at that company.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, and don't sweat something over which you have no control.

IF they offer you a job, and IF the offered salary is unacceptable, start negotiating. Worst case, go for the six month review; best case, negotiate it at the "proper" level for that job in that market. Worst, worst case, don't accept the job and if they ask why, tell them that you can't relocate to that market for that salary. They'll get the message.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 PM

49 posts, read 69,284 times
Thanks for the input and the optimism everyone. It's all I could think about this weekend. I will give an update as soon as I can.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 PM

687 posts, read 922,962 times
Take the job, you really can't beg & choose in this economy, especially with such limited experience and being as young as you are. Take the job and in a couple years you will grow your earning potential.

I can't imagine having student loans. I got psychological damage instead. But hey, if you find yourself unemployed for too long you won't even have the option of finding a job in your current field.

I'm guessing by your handle that you're a "coder", which I hear is hard to stay in unless you're always on your "A" game and keeping your resume super padded. Pretty much flattens out once you're in your 40's anyway (so I've read; there may indeed be age discrimination in the coder field) so make what you can while you're young and keep yourself continuously employed or you'll be looking for menial jobs instead.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 PM

285 posts, read 538,772 times
Definitely negotiate when they make an official offer. It's not too late at all. I did this exact same thing recently, the minimum salary was quoted before I applied, so on the application they forwarded me, I just typed in the quoted salary without thinking. When they offered me the job, I asked for more money. In my case I don't think they even read the application, it seemed like they just collected the info as a formality. Highlight your skills and experience, and use the high cost of living for leverage. They probably have a salary range for the position.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,318,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It is unlikely that they pay much, if any , attention to what you put in that block.

The position has a range, and if they offer you a job (which they haven't) the salary will fall within the range for that position at that company.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, and don't sweat something over which you have no control.

IF they offer you a job, and IF the offered salary is unacceptable, start negotiating. Worst case, go for the six month review; best case, negotiate it at the "proper" level for that job in that market. Worst, worst case, don't accept the job and if they ask why, tell them that you can't relocate to that market for that salary. They'll get the message.
It's an expensive area and they should be willing to pay for you to live there properly. I wouldn't take the job and move 6.5 hours away in the hopes that at a later date they can increase the salary. So what if they say now they will give you a $25K bump in six months if everything works out. Then they come back and say they had budget cuts and can't give you a raise, then what are you going to do, because you are stuck in a very expensive place on a low-salary.

The OP should NOT take the job unless the starting salary is what's in-line for the area to live comfortably so you don't end up taking 90 minutes to get to the office each day and another 90 to get home. You also don't want to live in a dangerous area or a place you won't feel comfortable.

I have relocated for a job I pushed for a higher salary than first offered and got it. Because without it, I would have not taken the job, because causing you to relocate is very disruptive and time consuming and it needs to be worth it.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:43 PM

15 posts, read 29,564 times
I would say if they make an offer too low than explain you're not from that area and after the interview you looked into the cost of living in that area and realized that it's too expensive to accept any offer less then XXX

Old 12-14-2014, 10:58 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,075,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated101 View Post
I would say if they make an offer too low than explain you're not from that area and after the interview you looked into the cost of living in that area and realized that it's too expensive to accept any offer less then XXX
This is called truth. This is the best way to start a business relationship.

If an offer happens, take your time to analyze if it works for you and pays enough to live on. Can you build experience and pay for more than Ramen noodles? If yes, congratulations. If no, then counter with a better number.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 PM

49 posts, read 69,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
This is called truth. This is the best way to start a business relationship.

If an offer happens, take your time to analyze if it works for you and pays enough to live on. Can you build experience and pay for more than Ramen noodles? If yes, congratulations. If no, then counter with a better number.
I know you're being facetious, but i'm not going to move to another state to live off ramen noodles doing a job that is somewhat similar to what I did in my last two years of college. Sure the additional experience will be great, but this is not a go get my coffee job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment