Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 PM

19 posts, read 26,609 times

Advertisements

not worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,198,082 times
Smile Far2Shy -- You need to "Think outside the Box"

Far2Shy -- Sometimes you have to look outside "the box" in order to measure a salary. For example: a $28K salary somewhere might include good health benefits at a reasonable rate. If you happen to have a chronic health condition that requires constant medications and frequent Dr visits which are covered by the medical insurance you receive through that job, you could be receiving $1,000's in "unseen" pay. Same for extra college tuition benefits. So first, determine if something like this applies to you. if it does, you need to calculate your "hidden" pay also.

Next, realize that the idea of living by yourself in a single apartment is a relatively new phenomena, and is especially difficult in a place like NYC. Read your history books! People frequently lived in what was known as a "boarding house", in order to be able to live closer to their employment. Now, today, boarding houses are gone....but, in their place, people share apartments. Did you ever see the old TV show, "The Odd Couple"? Well, Felix and Oscar were as different as two folks could be. BUT, they needed to split the rent because they did not have the disposable income to each rent their own places. So they shared the rent. This is what you need to do, too! Find some people to share an apartment - preferably three or four, so the amount will be less.

Finally, you say there is little to no employment near where you [or your parents?] live. Is it a rural town? Are your parents employed? Could you apply at the local Post Office? Wal-Mart? School bus company? A feed store? A stone quarry? Could you get a commercial drivers' license and drive a snow plow for the county? Work for the electric or gas company? The railroad? A local dairy farm? Could you learn to drive a semi-truck? How about the admitting dept at the closest hospital? A 911 operator? A jail guard? Have you considered joining the military service? Could you move into the home of a relative or family friend somewhere else in the country where there might be more work available? You don't happen to have an aunt or uncle living in Williston, ND, do you? Ho,ho,ho.

Far2Shy, I'm a mom, and I have been out in the work world for many, many years. I have kids in their 20's myself and I know it is tough out there. The truth is, it has always been tough starting out, for most people. I think you should start thinking more "outside the box" and expand your horizons a bit, and life will likely open some new doors or windows!! Good luck to you!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,941,445 times
You want to live in or as closest to a major metro area as much as possible. NYC is going to offer you the ultimate in opportunity for just about everything. I would move to NYC, live as frugally as possible until you either get a promotion or possibly find a higher paying gig.

The bigger cities offer more job opportunities and more networking. If you move to a lower cost of living small town/rural area you might always be making 28k a year or less. I assume you're single without any kids. If so, that should make it even easier to live frugally in the city as a single person not quite yet making a high income.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:41 PM

270 posts, read 275,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You want to live in or as closest to a major metro area as much as possible. NYC is going to offer you the ultimate in opportunity for just about everything. I would move to NYC, live as frugally as possible until you either get a promotion or possibly find a higher paying gig.

The bigger cities offer more job opportunities and more networking. If you move to a lower cost of living small town/rural area you might always be making 28k a year or less. I assume you're single without any kids. If so, that should make it even easier to live frugally in the city as a single person not quite yet making a high income.
There is some truth to the above, but I think it's debatable. My friend makes 50k in Los Angeles and has less disposable income than I do living just outside of Nashville, TN making 38k. I think in order to have the same amount of disposable income, he would need to make another 5-10k.

On the other hand, I call his less money the good weather tax. Everyone knows that if not for the weather, nobody in their right mind would stay in California.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,545,370 times
Why is NYC your only option? See if your current employer has call centers in other states. Then try to transfer to one of the other locations in a city with a lower cost of living than NYC. Even if it's 1000 miles away.

Then you move to that new WITH a job and you have a shorter commute(even if it means you buy a car.). And you get your own apartment and settle into your new city with the lower cost-of-living.

Then after awhile you start looking at other jobs in that city to earn higher income. Or possibly work yourself up from the call center job at your current company(transfer to another department that has potential for higher pay).

Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 AM

9,828 posts, read 11,601,944 times
Welcome to New York

Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 4,399 times
Very well said @hollyshockgolden. I think I'll combine both you and sware2cods ideas and start looking for jobs outside of NYC. Perhaps in a city out of state of even within my small suburban town. I just know that something MUST change because I cannot continue on the path that I'm on for such little pay. I do get benefits at my job but I'm not a chronically I'll person and they do not offer tuition reimbursement like some of these larger corporations do. Part of the reason why I haven't quit yet is because I already comitted to this job and my employment history is already spotty. I wanted to work on having a fixing my employment history through staying with a company long term. I already asked for a promotion at the company I'm presently working for and was denied. Also i am actively considering a room mate. However, most of the ads i see for my price range features bedrooms i must share with another person and/or rooms for rent in really seedy areas. I have one option of waiting till my friend's lease is up and just move in with her in the Spring but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I'm not that happy working at a call center I don't imagine anyone could be. Through writing this I'm realizing that I have a history of just accepting any job without thinking it through. Which is good because I understand the value of having a job but bad because I end up in predicaments like this.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 4,399 times
Very well said @hollyshockgolden. I think I'll combine both you and @sware2cod's ideas and start looking for jobs outside of NYC. Perhaps in a city out of state of even within my small suburban town. I just know that something MUST change because I cannot continue on the path that I'm on for such little pay. I do get benefits at my job but I'm not a chronically I'll person and they do not offer tuition reimbursement like some of these larger corporations do. Part of the reason why I haven't quit yet is because I already comitted to this job and my employment history is already spotty. I wanted to work on having a fixing my employment history through staying with a company long term. I already asked for a promotion at the company I'm presently working for and was denied. Also i am actively considering a room mate. However, most of the ads i see for my price range features bedrooms i must share with another person and/or rooms for rent in really seedy areas. I have one option of waiting till my friend's lease is up and just move in with her in the Spring but I'm not sure I can wait that long. I'm not that happy working at a call center I don't imagine anyone could be. Through writing this I'm realizing that I have a history of just accepting any job without thinking it through. Which is good because I understand the value of having a job but bad because I end up in predicaments like this.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:10 AM

12,112 posts, read 23,365,265 times
Pardon me, but that is insane. How long have you been there? You are in a position to be saving a lot of your take home pay. Are you doing so? Your time is worth money. It is also worth your physical and mental health. You would be better off working 40 hours a week as a cashier at a local gas station/convenient store.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:45 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,761,836 times
Get another job or move closer to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment