Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,663,736 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to start a sex battle or anything, but if you look at the facts, the vast majority of jobs are being held by women. There is a lot of studies to back this up.

At the nursing facility I work at, there are a total of 5 men out of more than 100 positions that I have counted. That is roughly a 95 percent woman dominated workforce. At the last position I worked at in hospitality, about 70 percent of our department positions were filled by women.

These positions also for the most part pay better.. Administrator to nurse.. almost all positions are held by women..

Personally I believe this trend has had an enormous impact negatively on the family unit. The concept of the man being the provider for the home is about dead in our culture.

Again not trying to flame a gender war, but just to point out something that I see is a problematic societal trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:27 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,711,224 times
I don't know what the numbers are, but nursing and hospitality are two fields where historically the positions are held by more women. You can't look at two fields like this and think it's representative of the entire workforce.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:35 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,040,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'm not trying to start a sex battle or anything, but if you look at the facts, the vast majority of jobs are being held by women. There is a lot of studies to back this up.

At the nursing facility I work at, there are a total of 5 men out of more than 100 positions that I have counted. That is roughly a 95 percent woman dominated workforce. At the last position I worked at in hospitality, about 70 percent of our department positions were filled by women.

These positions also for the most part pay better.. Administrator to nurse.. almost all positions are held by women..

Personally I believe this trend has had an enormous impact negatively on the family unit. The concept of the man being the provider for the home is about dead in our culture.

Again not trying to flame a gender war, but just to point out something that I see is a problematic societal trend.
With today's economy a lot of families need two incomes to provide. I think most people realize this and don't have a problem NOT being the sole provider for said family unit.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't know what the numbers are, but nursing and hospitality are two fields where historically the positions are held by more women. You can't look at two fields like this and think it's representative of the entire workforce.
And I think the reason you noted has a lot to do with why there is such an imbalance. These are the jobs available in our current job market.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,863 posts, read 81,892,720 times
There are many other kinds of work where there are very few women, including IT where in 2013 they only held 20% of the jobs (which pay far more than Administrative or even nursing jobs). The male ceased to be the sole breadinner long ago and I doubt it will go back any time soon. Also in 2013, 12 million families in the U.S. were headed by a single parent, of which 83% were single mothers. Divorce is more of a factor than women joining the workforce to help contribute to the household finances, though both are part of it. Probably more importantly is the desire of women to have a career and not just stay home raising kids and managing the household as their grandmothers did. Look at the numbers of women in college, more than men as of 2008.

The Male-Female Ratio in College - Forbes

Why Do Women Outnumber Men in College?

Old 11-23-2014, 03:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,511,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

So what's wrong about women also being providers?

Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
With today's economy a lot of families need two incomes to provide. I think most people realize this and don't have a problem NOT being the sole provider for said family unit.
I could be the sole provider for a family. It certainly can be done, but the standard of living would have to decrease. For me personally, this would be a small sacrifice to make to benefit the family in the long run. The care for the children wouldn't be outsourced to a stranger.. worth the cost. especially when one looks at the how much it costs for daycare services nowadays. So I don't think the two income requirement necessarily is a good case to make.

And as was pointed out, woman not making equal but generally making more than their male counterparts.. I think this has it's own set of consequences.. contributing to things such as a higher divorce rate.. etc..IMO women can do it on their own now..

I think the earlier poster nailed it in helping answering the 'why' question to it all.. the jobs that are generally high paying and available have traditionally been held by women.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
So what's wrong about women also being providers?
God designed Men to be the providers.. yes it's my spiritual conviction but I think it's also obvious.. I think when a woman steps into the role of the primary provider the family unit suffer.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are many other kinds of work where there are very few women, including IT where in 2013 they only held 20% of the jobs (which pay far more than Administrative or even nursing jobs). The male ceased to be the sole breadinner long ago and I doubt it will go back any time soon. Also in 2013, 12 million families in the U.S. were headed by a single parent, of which 83% were single mothers. Divorce is more of a factor than women joining the workforce to help contribute to the household finances, though both are part of it. Probably more importantly is the desire of women to have a career and not just stay home raising kids and managing the household as their grandmothers did. Look at the numbers of women in college, more than men as of 2008.

The Male-Female Ratio in College - Forbes

Why Do Women Outnumber Men in College?
I'm not sure that using a statistic for ratio of people in college to reflect on the labor market would be very accurate. While that may have been a better measure thirty so years ago, in today's educational climate there are many many people with degrees that have not equated with career success.

Probably more accurate would be what type of degree/education one received.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,330,782 times
After the crash in 2007, many of the available jobs were administrative. I.e., no construction, or jobs associated with building and development. But there are always jobs for secretaries, receptionists and nurses. So men started working for smaller salaries doing administrative jobs, but more women will be employed during recessionary times.

Jobs market: Men, hit hardest in recession, are getting work faster than women - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment