Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 AM

403 posts, read 557,509 times

Advertisements

A former supervisor of mine was fired for being late all the time. He was over 2 departments on 3rd shift. One worked 10p-6a and then mine worked 11p-7a. Each department has a start-up meeting that would usually only last 10-15 minutes each day. This supervisor went almost 8 months and only made it to the 10pm meeting maybe 5-6 times.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
I think the arrangement should be announced to the department then.
No need, as their arrangement is NONE of your business.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Can you explain how you know what the manager's work schedule is to arrive at and justify your comment?

As a business owner, I can tell you point blank that rules are not rules when those rules do not apply. It amazes me how many ignorant employees think they actually know their company's internal operations, practices and administration. They think they have a firm grasp on business when they barely have a grasp on their own jobs. All these employees do is complain about what they feel are injustices when they themselves probably should be one step away from the chopping block. They also have this nasty habit of thinking that a manger or supervisor or other executive should be working like them forgetting those people have risen and excelled about the low worker whose doing all the complaining. But nothing is so hilarious as when some whining worker gets a slight promotion and suddenly become and do the very thing they are complaining about.

Anyways, I really would be interested in how you know that when the manager comes in 20 minutes late they may actually be coming n 40 minutes early, and when they leave 30 minutes early, they actually stayed 30 minutes late. Just because the low level employee works 8 hours a day for 5 days doesn't mean the manager isn't working 7 hours a day 6 days a week. Or maybe you just took the no-nothing-about-the-real-administration-of-the-office employee's word for it?
Hmmm. How do you know his shift isn't actually 6:30? Some jobs do start at the half hour. In which case, he might even be early. Or 7:30. Or whatever. He may even start an hour later than you, and actually be chronically early.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
I think the arrangement should be announced to the department then.
Why?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM

305 posts, read 282,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
wow, it sounds like you have some delusions of grandeur or something. you're just gonna look like the crazy lady that everyone's going to be laughing at about 5 minutes after you're shown the door.

You mean that everyone in management is going to be laughing at?

I'm sure the rest of the actual workers will feel the same way I am.

And if I'm never going back there, why should I make a graceful exit?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No need, as their arrangement is NONE of your business.

Actually the arrangement is everyone's business.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Funny thing about the clock watchers and the "one minute late" rule. I feel that this encourages people to *not come in at all* if you are going to be penalized for being "one minute late."

I mean, if you had enough sick and personal days, why should showing up "one minute late" be penalized? Bottom line: you came in. It's easy enough for most people to get a "doctor's note" if needed.

If you knew your tardiness would be penalized when you could easily use a sick day, why would you come in at all if you could choose to NOT come in and NOT be penalized?!

I think management needs to think about this. Their lateness policy may be causing more absences and thus decreased productive.

The funny thing was, if you had a doctor's note stating why you were late, the half-occurrence point was removed. At the time, I had to have bi-weekly blood work done (for a thyroid problem). I worked a 45 minute commute from home, so the lab was not yet open at home when I left for work. I was recommended to have my blood test at a lab down the street from where I worked. It opened at 8:30 (my starting time). I would usually make it to work about 8:45 or so. I had to have a note from my doctor explaining the necessity of the blood test, and a note signed by the lab tech every time I had blood drawn to give HR. I could have gone during lunch easily, but the rule was that we were not allowed to leave the premises during lunch.

The "We need you here all day every day" occurrence policy was eventually dropped. Their threats weren't taken seriously. They ended up hearing, "Whatever", "Okay, go ahead and fire me," and "I get a point for coming in five minutes late, but what about when I have to stay an hour late?" They would have ended up firing a lot of valuable people. And these people were NOT habitually late - they usually had a good reason, like an accident or road construction.

I just carefully made sure to place my lab excuse on the HR director's desk.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
You mean that everyone in management is going to be laughing at?

I'm sure the rest of the actual workers will feel the same way I am.

And if I'm never going back there, why should I make a graceful exit?

Actually, I had a similar exchange, only it wasn't about my arrival time, since I always get in at least an hour before my team. It was because I asked someone to do something and didn't say please. So she ripped into me saying I was playing favorites since I always say please but didn't say please to her the one time I asked her to do something, and she wasn't going to put up with being disrespected. And she added, "I don't know who you think you are, but you need to show some respect for me."

And to this day, her peers still talk about what a nut job loose cannon she was and use her as an example of how not to treat your manager.

For the record, if she had yelled at a co-worker that way I would have responded in the same manner.

So go ahead and be as loud and obnoxious as you choose. The end result is the same for me - you're out. It won't be for you, though. Your peers will go from wondering if you had an off day to thinking you have some major issues.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
A reasonable post, and refreshing after reading the countless "mind your own business" or "your not equals" posts. First just because someone has a higher rank than you does not mean they don't pull their pants up the same way as everyone else. Your required to obey your superiors on the job, however respecting them is totally different. Also I agree 100 percent that a supervisor sets an example. Hard working and timely bosses have hard working and timely employees. This consistently late supervisor sets a bad example and hurts moral. Seeing two different sets of standards angers front line people and it will end up being reflected in the quality of work. Also the OP did not claim that they were in a position to do anything about it, or that they were going to try to. I think the OP just wanted to vent, and this forum is an appropriate place to do it, rather than do it in the workplace which would not be appropriate. Its not hard to understand why someone would get irritated with the kind of consistent tardiness of a superior, especially if it directly is affecting the job. Unless this boss has made arrangements with their boss about this, then its likely that it is being noticed by the higher ups.
Why does respecting your supervisor involve having him or her explain to you what they're doing just because you assume they're coming in late, rather than assuming they have stops to make that are work related? You assume the worst - that there are two different sets of standards, which angers front line employees. Typical kneejerk response from people who think the way you do.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Actually, I had a similar exchange, only it wasn't about my arrival time, since I always get in at least an hour before my team. It was because I asked someone to do something and didn't say please. So she ripped into me saying I was playing favorites since I always say please but didn't say please to her the one time I asked her to do something, and she wasn't going to put up with being disrespected. And she added, "I don't know who you think you are, but you need to show some respect for me."

And to this day, her peers still talk about what a nut job loose cannon she was and use her as an example of how not to treat your manager.

For the record, if she had yelled at a co-worker that way I would have responded in the same manner.

So go ahead and be as loud and obnoxious as you choose. The end result is the same for me - you're out. It won't be for you, though. Your peers will go from wondering if you had an off day to thinking you have some major issues.

But in that case it was only 1 time.

The OP is talking about the supervisor CONSTANTLY being late.

And if the end result is the same, why would I respect someone who just fired me because he was mad I uncovered his own infraction? And I would call every coworker up the night after and explain why I did what I did. You wouldn't get the last word on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment