Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:33 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,300,129 times

Advertisements

Funny thing about the clock watchers and the "one minute late" rule. I feel that this encourages people to *not come in at all* if you are going to be penalized for being "one minute late."

I mean, if you had enough sick and personal days, why should showing up "one minute late" be penalized? Bottom line: you came in. It's easy enough for most people to get a "doctor's note" if needed.

If you knew your tardiness would be penalized when you could easily use a sick day, why would you come in at all if you could choose to NOT come in and NOT be penalized?!

I think management needs to think about this. Their lateness policy may be causing more absences and thus decreased productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
One place I worked (I discussed it in another post about occurrence points) assigned a secretary in the front office the position of "timekeeper". She arrived first, had clear view of the front entrance, and was VERY obvious about notating it in her little notebook when anyone arrived even ONE MINUTE late. This place gave you a half point for lateness, and a whole point for an absence without doctor's excuse. Five in one year, and you were terminated.

Funny thing was, as we found out later, the "timekeeper" was almost ALWAYS late herself. She started at 8:00 (the rest of us at 8:30) and didn't usually get in until almost ten after. One of the janitors told us.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
In my experience, bosses tend to look the other way when an employee is late, if that employee is worth a damn at their job. Add to this that if the other workers are always causing drama, not working very well, then that makes the "tardy but good worker" to be less likely to be chastised for it.
In my experience, this is largely correct.

However, also in my experience, if your boss is insecure and/or threatened by you, s/he will pounce on any reason to try and get rid of you. ESPECIALLY if you are an EXCELLENT EMPLOYEE who is always LATE!

Low hanging fruit.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:00 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,002,395 times
What pisses me off is the the work force front line have to be on time always. Yet management (The people who should be most important to the company's success and make all the money ) can come waltzing in whenever they want or take a long lunch whenever they want..

Why should the people with less responsibility with LESS PAY have to be held more accountable? Screw that.. I swear most management teams I have worked under never even did a FULL WEEK of work. They would take at least 1 day off every week. And when they did come to work, they would just disappear for lunch for 1-2 hours while we only had a 30 min lunch

Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,288,613 times
How does tge OP know how the supervisors‘s manager feels? They aren't going to confide in her. MYOB.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,458,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
What pisses me off is the the work force front line have to be on time always. Yet management (The people who should be most important to the company's success and make all the money ) can come waltzing in whenever they want or take a long lunch whenever they want..

Why should the people with less responsibility with LESS PAY have to be held more accountable? Screw that.. I swear most management teams I have worked under never even did a FULL WEEK of work. They would take at least 1 day off every week. And when they did come to work, they would just disappear for lunch for 1-2 hours while we only had a 30 min lunch
It's about paying your dues and proving your worth to the organization. Once you've paid your dues, they're going to be more flexible because they don't want to lose you.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,797,011 times
What the OP does not know, is if the supervisor does not have something to do before showing up at the office, that is company business.

Some supervisors have to check the mail at the post office. Some supervisors may check the emails from home, before coming to the office so if there is a problem somewhere they can take care of before coming in. And this list can go on and on. They may leave a little early to do banking for the company, or go to the post office to make sure all mail gets out including that which is too late for regular channels. Often times supervisors have duties, the regular staff knows nothing about.

Supervisors, are not always on the same schedule as front line employees. It is none of the front line employees business, as to what they do, including what time they show up at the office. The rules the OP is quoting from the company handbook, is for front line employees, and not for supervisors. If the OP works her way up, she may be a supervisor someday, and then will see things altogether different than she does now. She will then realize, that supervisors are a different category than she is, and they work under different rules. That is one privilege of being a supervisor.

Op do your job, and quit watching the supervisor.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:07 PM

305 posts, read 283,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not sure why younger people view everything in terms of what they think is unfair to them, but you are not equals at work with the supervisor. Whatever she and her manager have agreed upon is their business. For all you know she goes home and puts in 3 hours.

If you're watching what other people do, you're not paying enough attention to your own job.

I think the arrangement should be announced to the department then.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:39 PM

13,142 posts, read 21,077,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Perhaps it is the same in OP's company and OP is just unaware of that fact.
and that's the whole point of my post, the Op and those other minion who support the OP really have no idea in the world what their company's dynamics for time, scheduling and administration. They are just blindly spouting anti manager/supervisor.executive/ corporation hatred based on absolutely nothing. In other words, they are imagining what they want it to be and are speaking as if what they are saying is absolute based on fact. That is why they are probably now and will forever be some low ranking minion within a company. They hate what they don't even know is something to be hated. Typical employee nonsense.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 PM

305 posts, read 283,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and that's the whole point of my post, the Op and those other minion who support the OP really have no idea in the world what their company's dynamics for time, scheduling and administration. They are just blindly spouting anti manager/supervisor.executive/ corporation hatred based on absolutely nothing. In other words, they are imagining what they want it to be and are speaking as if what they are saying is absolute based on fact. That is why they are probably now and will forever be some low ranking minion within a company. They hate what they don't even know is something to be hated. Typical employee nonsense.

If I were in that situation, I would just ask in front of the whole office "Why are you late everyday? The rest of the office takes the time to get to work on time every day, so why can't you?"

If they had an actual reason, then they would say so. And if they didn't, then they would get their act together.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
It's such an unhealthy, immature attitude to have and it leads to constant unhappiness. There will always be something wrong, something unfair, something to complain about.

I have to wonder where this obsession with being cheated and with having to have fairness in every situation stems from. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment