Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,613 times

Advertisements

Your low self esteem & desperation is so transparent. Why don't you focus on improving your skills instead of feeling bad about your weight? What does your weight have anything to do with getting hired, unless you are doing labor intensive job like construction? The interviewer doesn't care but you seem to care a lot about it. Stop feeling sorry for yourself & get over it. By this age you should accept & appreciate everything your body has done for you & have a sense of style for your changing body instead of blaming it for your rejections. Work with what you have. Its great that you are trying to lose weight but don't use your weight as an excuse for not landing a job. If you have skills that are in demand then you will be hired no matter what you look like. So try to learn skills that will land you a job & work on improving your confidence. People interviewing you are sensing your insecurities & depression. There are plenty of overweight women in workplaces who reflect confidence & positive energy. I would rather hire a happy, overweight woman who is well dressed, wears the right accessories & makeup, has positive attitude & confident body language rather than a boring, skinny, self conscious woman who doesn't bother to dress to impress for the interview & has no confidence in herself or her abilities. Its about your skills, confidence & how you present yourself. Feeling good about yourself is all about taking control of your life. Such people give an impression that they will get the job done with whatever limited resources they have. Low confidence, complaining & making excuses gives out a vibe that nothing is good enough for this person & they wont get the job done. As simple as that.

Sorry if I am coming off as rude but please understand that I am not trying to be demeaning or I don't understand your situation. Even with the right skills & attitude, its challenging to find a job. If you take away the confidence & positive energy then you are pushing yourself even further away from your goals. Keep your attitude in check no matter what & focus on your skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,390,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I thought I'd update this thread. I interviewed for a position in December that I didn't get. They told me that I was their 2nd choice and that they hoped to be hiring again in the spring. Hiring in the mortgage industry really ramps up in the spring. I got the call a few weeks ago. I'm finishing up the HR stuff. It's at a bank and it's so much more extensive than any other job I've ever had - drug test, fingerprints, employment for the past 10 years, criminal background check, credit check. I was most concerned about the credit because I have some serious dings due to being unemployed, but my letter of explanation passed. I hope to start early next month. I thrilled - this was a job working with people that seem really great and the location is exactly where I want to be.
Good luck, and great to hear good news for you after such a rough time.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,993,092 times
Somebody recently repped me on this thread, so here's another update. I started at the mortgage division of a medium sized bank in April 2015, I'm still there. I love the location, and I moved walking distance to work. Most of the people I work with are terrific and I've gone to see plays and music with some of them which has definitely improved my quality of life. I've even lost about 45#s since I started this thread. I have a way to go, but I am definitely more self-confident now.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,609,639 times
That is wonderful news - good for you!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:49 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
That's great. Wonderful update, and congratulations.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:15 AM

639 posts, read 1,072,581 times
Quote:
Somebody recently repped me on this thread, so here's another update. I started at the mortgage division of a medium sized bank in April 2015, I'm still there. I love the location, and I moved walking distance to work. Most of the people I work with are terrific and I've gone to see plays and music with some of them which has definitely improved my quality of life. I've even lost about 45#s since I started this thread. I have a way to go, but I am definitely more self-confident now.
I've seen a number of posts here before from people who are worried they've become unemployable, and it's good to see one that ended so well.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:39 AM

5,135 posts, read 4,489,070 times
Congratulations! That's excellent news, knitgirl.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
This is wonderful for you, I am so happy for you that it all worked out.
Carry on.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Great news!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:30 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
So glad you found a good position!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment