Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,577,718 times

Advertisements

I was mid 50s in 2009 when laid off. It took me 3 years to finally get a part-time job in my field.
Then laid off twice again after that! Have had one part-time job that pays well for the past year and been trying to pick up a second one.

In some areas age is a factor for sure. Especially if your interviewer is young enough to be your grand-daughter! Most don't want older workers, though some will prefer us for our work ethic and experience.

You just have to keep plugging away until you find the right fit. Craigslist can tap you into some small biz owners who will appreciate your experience and age. I've got an ''occasional gig'' with a small biz owner where I work about 4 times a year as a contractor. Been doing that for two years and love it. Got the job on Craigslist.

Think ouside the box-translate your skills into other fields, go for a part-time job to get your foot in the door, think 2 part-time jobs over 1 full-time one, master the functional resume.

But always see yourself as employable and conceive of your job hunt as a ''marketing'' of your gifts to offer to an employer.

Otherwise you will convey a defeated spirit at interviews.

It's hard not to look desperate at an interview when in fact you feel ''oh so desperate'', but you have to pull it off.

Try to look ''enthusiastic'', not ''desperate''. It is damn hard to do, but keep at it and one day you will rejoin the employed.

Me, I'm still waiting for benefits and more hours, but at least I am half way there!

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,695,068 times
I can understand the OPs position. Im in my early 40s being denied jobs that get filled by younger 20 something girls. Seems that a lot of places hire the young cute girls because the guys will come in and spend more money thinking theyll score or something.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 PM

41,999 posts, read 75,328,187 times
I know it's hard, but if you go into an interview expecting that the interviewer will judge you based on your appearance, your self-confidence will take a hit. Is there someone that can help you practice for interviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Being obese means that ones doesn't have enough self-control to not be obese
Nowhere did the OP say she was obese. Not to mention that your statement is way off base and, yes, it is ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you have to cut expenses by eating less, you will naturally lose weight and look younger.
This is another off-base statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
What an ignorant statement! No,I am not obese,but I will challenge ignorance & cruelty.
Yes, thank you.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 PM

271 posts, read 427,714 times
OP if i were you i'd try going out to volunteer somewhere at least a couple of times a week. sitting at home thinking about all that you're going through must be pretty depressing. at least if you're out volunteering you get to help others, feel a part of society and maybe even pick up some good skills that may help you with your job search. i'm sorry you're going through this but that's my two cents.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
OP if i were you i'd try going out to volunteer somewhere at least a couple of times a week. sitting at home thinking about all that you're going through must be pretty depressing. at least if you're out volunteering you get to help others, feel a part of society and maybe even pick up some good skills that may help you with your job search. i'm sorry you're going through this but that's my two cents.
Volunteering will likely involve transportation costs which really should be for job interviewing.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,029,558 times
If you think of yourself as the "too old & too fat" person then
try to make positive changes one at a time....

I am 20 lbs over weight and I do not go a day without trying to
make little changes in the right direction...
Drink more water
Say no to that dessert
buy some better walking shoes..
Park farther out so I have to walk farther..
try juicing for lunch
and on & on...

Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
As a woman with locs, I am trying hard to understand how that translates into "don't care what anyone looks like"

OP, when I was unemployed, I found that exercise helped relieve stress. Just go for a walk it may help'
I work in a business office. We don't care if anyone has dreadlocks. We had a guy who came in as an intern who had long dreadlocks down to his waist. He was smart and worked hard and dressed in office attire like everybody else. Our boss offered him a permanent position, but he got a better offer somewhere else. Who cares how someone styles their hair? Maybe a Wall Street bank or something would.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 PM

286 posts, read 852,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I don't think that's right advice for someone who has no money and trying to survive
Why not? People don't start business because they are rich and bored. They start a business because they need to make a living and are trying to survive. Larry Ellison worked odd jobs for many years before finally starting his business. There are many stories of successful people who had to start a business because they were poor and living in their cars and they worked hard.

It's just something to think about while looking for work. Take any temp job or crappy job, but think of using the money you make to start a business. Think of that crappy job as a stepping stone and not as a life long dead end job.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
Why not? People don't start business because they are rich and bored. They start a business because they need to make a living and are trying to survive. Larry Ellison worked odd jobs for many years before finally starting his business. There are many stories of successful people who had to start a business because they were poor and living in their cars and they worked hard.

It's just something to think about while looking for work. Take any temp job or crappy job, but think of using the money you make to start a business. Think of that crappy job as a stepping stone and not as a life long dead end job.

No it's something to think about when you are already working so you can start off by doing it on the side.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
I feel for you OP, I am a late baby boomer, but I am normal size for height and weight. It is very tough out there trying to find work!! Be looking for 3 years too(commercial ID) I keep getting told I am over Qualified. I have never heard that statement used so much. I do know you need to dress for success by not wearing inappropriate closes that draw attention to your weight issue. My hair is beautiful white and gray but it does not color at all. It does play a factor when I interview. My face looks younger than my hair. They must take me for what I know and not what I look like. coloring is a waste of time unless you are on the 5 O'clock news. check in with the unemployment group for how to classes. A lot of jobs are past through a new program called ATS. It is a brownie point system them matching words to what they want the closer you get to an interview. Other than that your resume goes into a black hole called trash before a human sees it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment