Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 AM

3,084 posts, read 7,289,746 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is this is the right place to ask this. But there isn't a legal section on this forum.

Anyway, I have a business deal with a restaurant. So I make an appointment with the owner so he can sign a contract. He ends up not being there, so the brother of the owner, who works there, but I never had any prior dealings with, ends up signing the contract. I guess the owner told him to sign it because he was unavailable. Is this a binding contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,802,611 times
I wouldn't advise you to accept any legal advice on an internet forum as gospel, and I'm certainly not a lawyer. It would probably be best if you contact a lawyer for a definitive answer.

That said, unless the brother was given explicit written/verbal authorization (such as Power of Attorney) to sign on the guy's behalf you've been dealing with, or unless the brother's listed as the actual owner of the business, then I would assume the contract is null and void...

Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 AM

388 posts, read 539,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Not sure if this is this is the right place to ask this. But there isn't a legal section on this forum.

Anyway, I have a business deal with a restaurant. So I make an appointment with the owner so he can sign a contract. He ends up not being there, so the brother of the owner, who works there as a maitre d, but I never had any prior dealings with, ends up signing the contract. I guess the owner told him to sign it because he was unavailable. Is this a binding contract?

Only if he is in a decision-making/management position.
Being that he is "only" a maitre d' then no.
(This being my non-law practicing opinion.)

Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM

3,084 posts, read 7,289,746 times
So I'll make another appointment with the owner. And I'll tell him to sign by his brother's signature. That's fine?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,802,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
So I'll make another appointment with the owner. And I'll tell him to sign by his brother's signature. That's fine?
That may be fine.

We're not lawyers, so we can't say for certain.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,455,768 times
should be ok if you get the owner to sign it at a later date.

i worked as a consultant for many years and there was one project with a client where we had a primary contact at the client site who was our primary point of contact. we finished the project and he signed off on it saying that our work was completed to his satisfaction, etc.

we got some calls a few weeks later that they wanted more work done, etc. these were all enhancements (not stuff broken but "oh yeah, now that we're using this, we think it would be better if you changed it to this..." so we told them that we'd have to charge them for it.

of course they weren't happy to hear that. they said that in their minds, the original work isn't done yet. when we showed them the signed contract, they simply said that the guy wasn't authorized to sign that, etc.

in the end, we ended up doing some work for free for them...and they paid for the rest.

get the right signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment